About creating symbolic on msys

Marvin Zhang-2
HI all,
I'm trying to use ln command in msys, such as 'ln -s A B'. A is a
folder, I just want to create B as for A's symbolic. However, I find
it didn't  create a symbolic name at all, it just execute copy
command. Could you tell me how to create a symbolic name in msys.
Thanks.
Marvin

Re: About creating symbolic on msys

Ralph Engels

Re: About creating symbolic on msys

Marvin Zhang-2
Hi Ralph,
Thanks for your help! junction.exe is just what I want.
Marvin

Re: About creating symbolic on msys

Ralph Engels

Re: About creating symbolic on msys

The preferred mail list for this question is [hidden email].

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Marvin Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> HI all,
> I'm trying to use ln command in msys, such as 'ln -s A B'. A is a
> folder, I just want to create B as for A's symbolic. However, I find
> it didn't  create a symbolic name at all, it just execute copy
> command. Could you tell me how to create a symbolic name in msys.

That is correct, because native programs such as MinGW's gcc doesn't
understand a symbolic link as Cygwin had architected it we changed it
to do a copy.  I use sysinternals' junction.exe to create a junction
point instead.  Maybe one day will do the same in MSYS for symbolic
links of directories but that will be a long while.