Autotools without MSYS

Justin Thomas
Greetings,

First, I have to add the disclaimer that I am relatively new to the autotools, and even more so to MinGW.  I have searched around for a few hours to get some information on using the MinGW autotools (i.e. not the MSYS package).  I began on this venture when I read the description for the MSYS autotools which read something along the lines of "This is not the autoconf you're looking for".  After reading this I was pretty sure I did not want the MSYS package.

I am trying to build libyaml as it is a dependency for a project of my own that I am trying to port to windows.  (I'm also using a patch for libyaml from their bitbucket site which allows for building libyaml as a DLL instead of just in static form).

I am using the Git bash shell on Windows (maybe I shouldn't be doing this?).  When I try to run autoreconf on libyaml, I get all kinds of errors about things not living under "/mingw" (the path to mingw is "/c/mingw" in the git bash shell).  After hours of messing with environment variables and no help from the internet, I finally mustered up the courage to ask you, the expert community.  My guess is that I am trying to something that is totally unintended.

Thanks in Advance

Re: Autotools without MSYS

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 15:38:29 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Justin Thomas <[hidden email]>
>
> First, I have to add the disclaimer that I am relatively new to the autotools,
> and even more so to MinGW. I have searched around for a few hours to get some
> information on using the MinGW autotools (i.e. not the MSYS package).

You can't.  Running autotools means you must use MSYS.

> I began
> on this venture when I read the description for the MSYS autotools which read
> something along the lines of "This is not the autoconf you're looking for".
> After reading this I was pretty sure I did not want the MSYS package.

I don't know where you've read that, but either that's a
misunderstanding or some unfortunate wording, or maybe you looked in
some incorrect place.  If you want to run Automake and Autoconf, you
_must_ install MSYS and use the MSYS Bash, MSYS Perl, MSYS Make, etc.

> I am using the Git bash shell on Windows (maybe I shouldn't be doing this?).

The Bash that comes with Git is MSYS Bash.  You can use it, but if you
mix it with mingw.org's MSYS Bash and tools, you might get in trouble,
since they use different versions of some DLLs.  So I'd advise against
that.

> When I try to run autoreconf on libyaml, I get all kinds of errors about things
> not living under "/mingw" (the path to mingw is "/c/mingw" in the git bash
> shell).

Yes, that's another problem caused by using non-MSYS tools.

You must understand that MSYS was created specifically to do the job
you are trying doing.  And it does that job very well.  Just use MSYS.

Re: Autotools without MSYS

David Gressett-6

The things marked " This is not the ... you're looking for" are not intended for
development of applications with MinGW.

How did you install MinGW? I'm guessing that you did not use the graphical
installer.

You should download and  install the graphical installer, which makes it very
 easy to see what you have  installed and what you have not yet installed.
 It clearly marks which things are  parts of MSYS and which are MinGW.
 It is easy to see that there is indeed  a full set of autotools for MinGW.

 You should not use the Git bash; When properly installed with the graphical
installer, you will have an MSYS bash that will do everything that you need to do
and will be properly integrated with the MinGW tools that you will need.
 Instructions for downloading, installation and post-installation details are
found on the MinGW web site; see http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started.

Re: Autotools without MSYS

Justin Thomas

>> First, I have to add the disclaimer that I am relatively new to the autotools,
>> and even more so to MinGW. I have searched around for a few hours to get some
>> information on using the MinGW autotools (i.e. not the MSYS package).

> You can't.  Running autotools means you must use MSYS.

Ok, thanks for the quick response and sorry for the dumb question.

>> I began
>> on this venture when I read the description for the MSYS autotools which read
>> something along the lines of "This is not the autoconf you're looking for".
>> After reading this I was pretty sure I did not want the MSYS package.

> I don't know where you've read that, but either that's a
> misunderstanding or some unfortunate wording, or maybe you looked in
> some incorrect place.  If you want to run Automake and Autoconf, you

> _must_ install MSYS and use the MSYS Bash, MSYS Perl, MSYS Make, etc.

This is the wording for the description of the msys-auto* packages.  It is the

first line in each of these packages.  Perhaps I am confusing the MSYS base
and MSYS Developer Toolkit and need to spend more time finding documentation
on the intention of each of these.

Thanks Again.

Re: Autotools without MSYS

On 24/12/15 16:31, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> I began on this venture when I read the description for the MSYS
>> autotools which read something along the lines of "This is not the
>> autoconf you're looking for". After reading this I was pretty sure
>> I did not want the MSYS package.
>
> I don't know where you've read that, but either that's a
> misunderstanding or some unfortunate wording, or maybe you looked in
> some incorrect place. If you want to run Automake and Autoconf, you
> _must_ install MSYS and use the MSYS Bash, MSYS Perl, MSYS Make,
> etc.
I suspect that the confusion is arising because there are *two* suites
of autotools packages within the MinGW/MSYS ecosystem: the suite which
is designated as mingw32-auto* is optimized for building MinGW programs
within the MSYS shell environment, whereas those designated msys-auto*
are intended exclusively for use when developing MSYS itself.  Since the
vast majority of MinGW users do not participate in developing MSYS, the
latter (msys-auto*) packages are described as "not the package you are
looking for"; you want the mingw32-auto* packages, but you still need
the MSYS shell environment in which to use them.