Building MSYS from source (permission denied)

Building MSYS from source (permission denied)

madman420
I'm trying to build MSYS from source.  I get the following errors when running ./configure:

Configuring for a i686-pc-msys host.
../configure: line 1290: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
../configure: line 1307: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
Created "Makefile" in /msrc/build using "mh-frag"
./config.status is unchanged
Configuring etc...
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /bin/install -c
../../etc/configure: line 606: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
../../etc/configure: line 671: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
creating ./config.status
../../etc/configure: line 687: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
../../etc/configure: line 720: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
../../etc/configure: line 755: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
../../etc/configure: line 790: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
../../etc/configure: line 794: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
../../etc/configure: line 852: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
../../etc/configure: line 855: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied

I have tried to follow a half-dozen different methods to the letter. I was successful at compiling MSYS on a different computer, but no luck with this one.

cat > foo << BAR

returns the same "Permission denied " error

Re: Building MSYS from source (permission denied)

dickzjh
i came across the same problem just now. i changed the permission of /tmp by error (i wanted to change the permission of a subdirectory tmp). set it back may let functions like tab-completion back to life.