Building MinGW from source

John Brown
Hello All,

After building a new version of gcc, what next? Do I need to build binutils,
mingwrt and w32api with the new gcc? Do I need to build the new
gcc with the new gcc?

Regards,
John Brown.

Re: Building MinGW from source

David Gressett-6
John Brown wrote:
>Hello All,

>After building a new version of gcc, what next? Do I need to build binutils,
>mingwrt and w32api with the new gcc? Do I need to build the new
>gcc with the new gcc?

I have never had any problems with binutils, mingwrt, or w32api with my
gcc v4.x builds. You shouldn't need to do a rebuild of the new compiler with
itself, but I do that just to be certain that I get a build that has scrubbed out
all traces of the previous compiler's behavior from the generated code.

Even though you don't need to recompile the other stuff, it might be worth
doing to get the benefit of any new optimizations introduced by the new gcc.
I rebuilt libgmp, libmpc, and libmpfr for my gcc 4.9.2 build because the
compiler uses them and I wanted the benefit of better code generation.

I haven't build a V5 gcc yet, so I don't know if V5 requires any of the other
things to be rebuilt.  (Fortran and Ada have problems that I
haven't had time to fix yet.)  What version are you building?

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:04:21 -0500, Davig Gresset wrote:

> I haven't build a V5 gcc yet, so I don't know if V5 requires any of the other
> things to be rebuilt. (Fortran and Ada have problems that I
> haven't had time to fix yet.) What version are you building?

I'm building v4.9.3. I tried 5.x but there was a problem:  "undefined reference
to __EH_FRAME_BEGIN__" or something similar. Google said that it was a
regression that had something to do with --disable-sjlj-exceptions. The
problem is still present in svn (at least up to Saturday).

Regards,
John Brown.

Re: Building MinGW from source

Keith Marshall-3
On 30/07/15 01:05, John Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:04:21 -0500, Davig Gresset wrote:
>>
>> I haven't build a V5 gcc yet, so I don't know if V5 requires any of the other
>> things to be rebuilt.  (Fortran and Ada have problems that I
>> haven't had time to fix yet.)  What version are you building?
>
> I'm building v4.9.3. I tried 5.x but there was a problem:  "undefined reference
> to __EH_FRAME_BEGIN__" or something similar.

Yes, exactly that; I too have run into this brick wall, trying to build
GCC-5.2.0.  I have successfully built both GCC-4.8.5 and GCC-4.9.3, (as
cross-native builds); preview snapshots of both are in the experimental
directory on SF, under MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4.  I should be grateful if
interested users would test these.

David, I've *built* both ada and fortran successfully, within these
builds, (alongside C, C++, ObjC, and ObjC++), but in the ada case, I
haven't applied *any* patches.  My knowledge of ada is precisely none,
so perhaps you could advise what issues may need to be addressed.

If you are interested in my build specs, and the patches which I did
apply, you can find both within the arch/mingw32 directories of the
respective source tarballs.

Re: Building MinGW from source

Greg Jung
Is there a way to bypass the 5-second rule for these downloads?
I suppose the answer is going to be trivial for you but I've been clicking my downloads in usually.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30/07/15 01:05, John Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:04:21 -0500, Davig Gresset wrote:
>>
>> I haven't build a V5 gcc yet, so I don't know if V5 requires any of the other
>> things to be rebuilt.  (Fortran and Ada have problems that I
>> haven't had time to fix yet.)  What version are you building?
>
> I'm building v4.9.3. I tried 5.x but there was a problem:  "undefined reference
> to __EH_FRAME_BEGIN__" or something similar.

Yes, exactly that; I too have run into this brick wall, trying to build
GCC-5.2.0.  I have successfully built both GCC-4.8.5 and GCC-4.9.3, (as
cross-native builds); preview snapshots of both are in the experimental
directory on SF, under MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4.  I should be grateful if
interested users would test these.

David, I've *built* both ada and fortran successfully, within these
builds, (alongside C, C++, ObjC, and ObjC++), but in the ada case, I
haven't applied *any* patches.  My knowledge of ada is precisely none,
so perhaps you could advise what issues may need to be addressed.

If you are interested in my build specs, and the patches which I did
apply, you can find both within the arch/mingw32 directories of the
respective source tarballs.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.