Quantcast

Building gettext from source using GCC 4.7.2

Building gettext from source using GCC 4.7.2

Sergio NNX
Hi all.

I've recently downloaded and installed MinGW (GCC 4.7.2) and started rebuilding the libraries/projects I regularly use and I'm facing some issues I hope some of you may be able to shed some light on them.

For instance, while building gettext 0.18.3.1, I get this linking error:

../libgrep/libgrep.a(regex.o):regex.c:(.text+0xb6b1): undefined reference to `isascii'

C:\MinGW\bin/ld.exe: ../libgrep/libgrep.a(regex.o): bad reloc address 0x70 in section `.rdata'

Then, when running the tests, I get a runtime exception here:

             _set_invalid_parameter_handler could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll

Please, don't say it's the antivirus or things like that. I've just rebuilt this same version of gettext using my rather old GCC 4.5.2 and it works ok. What is more, this is a fresh MinGW installation.

Thanks in advance.

Sergio.

$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=c:/mingw/bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/4.7.2/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: mingw32
Configured with: ../gcc-4.7.2/configure --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,obj
c,obj-c++ --disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-dwarf2 --enable-shared --enable-libgo
mp --disable-win32-registry --enable-libstdcxx-debug --disable-build-poststage1-
with-cxx --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --build=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw
Thread model: win32
gcc version 4.7.2 (GCC)

Re: Building gettext from source using GCC 4.7.2

Earnie Boyd
On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Sergio NNX wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've recently downloaded and installed MinGW (GCC 4.7.2) and started
> rebuilding the libraries/projects I regularly use and I'm facing some issues
> I hope some of you may be able to shed some light on them.
>
> For instance, while building gettext 0.18.3.1, I get this linking error:
>
> ../libgrep/libgrep.a(regex.o):regex.c:(.text+0xb6b1): undefined reference to
> `isascii'

I didn't see that one; of course I'm using gcc-4.8.1 which is yet to
be released and the reason I'm building gettext-0.18.3.1.  What
configure options are you using?

> C:\MinGW\bin/ld.exe: ../libgrep/libgrep.a(regex.o): bad reloc address 0x70
> in section `.rdata'
>

> Then, when running the tests, I get a runtime exception here:
>

>              _set_invalid_parameter_handler could not be located in the
> dynamic link library msvcrt.dll

Yes, I opened a bug ticket already for that one already.  You can add
ac_cv_func__set_invalid_parameter_handler=no to the configure line to
overcome it.

> Please, don't say it's the antivirus or things like that. I've just rebuilt
> this same version of gettext using my rather old GCC 4.5.2 and it works ok.
> What is more, this is a fresh MinGW installation.

Antivirus or other BLODA. ;p  The _set_invalid_parameter_handler must
be new in gettext and doesn't exist in MSVCRT.DLL through Windows 7, I
don't know about Win8.  The resolution to the bug will be to remove
the declaration via a filter of some sort.

Re: Building gettext from source using GCC 4.7.2

Sergio NNX
> I didn't see that one; of course I'm using gcc-4.8.1 which is yet to
> be released and the reason I'm building gettext-0.18.3.1. What
> configure options are you using?

> Yes, I opened a bug ticket already for that one already. You can add
> ac_cv_func__set_invalid_parameter_handler=no to the configure line to
> overcome it.

Thanks Earnie for your prompt answer. Find attached a screenshot showing one of the issues I'm still facing. After reinstalling MinGW from scratch (again), now the first issue (i.e. ... undefined reference to 'isascii') seems to have 'faded away' but I still get a runtime exception when the tests are run (see attachment). I'll try your workaround and let you know.

Cheers.

Sergio.

gettext-gcc-4.7.2-issue.png (59K) Download Attachment

Re: Building gettext from source using GCC 4.7.2

Peky

I've got very similar problem.... in some moment is problem : undefined reference to `isascii' ... Did you resolve it, please? How should i fix it?

http://pastebin.com/8iXRzFfg

Re: Building gettext from source using GCC 4.7.2

Peky
Hi,

http://pastebin.com/8iXRzFfg

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235417.aspx to help your issue.