Cannot install and use msys-perl

Brian Rayne
I'm trying to build the FFTW library from source, but have been
stumbling for a while this afternoon.  It does not include a configure
script, but has a configure.ac file so I eventually found I should be
able to continue after installing the MSYS developer toolkit, so I
launched mingw-get and installed them.

Mingw-get shows that the msys-perl binary package is installed, and
perl.exe is seemingly present in my MSYS installation (The file
c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\perl.exe exists in my Windows installation), but
inside MSYS, it does not show perl.exe within the /bin directory.
Likewise, running autoconf to create FFTW's configure scripts (or
running the included bootstrap.sh script that supposedly is used to
help build FFWT from source) results in this error:

/mingw/bin/autoconf-2.68: /mingw/bin/autom4te-2.68: /bin/perl: bad
interpreter: No such file or directory

I have no idea where to go from here, so if anybody could point me in
the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you in
advance.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Greg Jung
My fftw distribution does include a configure:

greg@Homerw7 /e/mingw/sources/fftw-3.3.4
$ ls
AUTHORS      Makefile.in   compile       dft         ltmain.sh     support
CONVENTIONS  NEWS          config.guess  doc         m4            tests
COPYING      README        config.h.in   fftw.pc.in  missing       threads
COPYRIGHT    TODO          config.sub    genfft      mpi           tools
ChangeLog    aclocal.m4    configure     install-sh  rdft
INSTALL      api           configure.ac  kernel      reodft
Makefile.am  bootstrap.sh  depcomp       libbench2   simd-support

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Brian Rayne
I don't find that file is included when I download the current source
package from the git repository:
https://github.com/FFTW/fftw3

Maybe they only provide it when they produce a formal new release or
something, but it seems that I need to be able to use autoconf to
build the script, and that seems to require perl in my MSYS
environment.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My fftw distribnution includes a configure:
>
> greg@Homerw7 /e/mingw/sources/fftw-3.3.4
> $ ls
> AUTHORS      Makefile.in   compile       dft         ltmain.sh     support
> CONVENTIONS  NEWS          config.guess  doc         m4            tests
> COPYING      README        config.h.in   fftw.pc.in  missing       threads
> COPYRIGHT    TODO          config.sub    genfft      mpi           tools
> ChangeLog    aclocal.m4    configure     install-sh  rdft
> INSTALL      api           configure.ac  kernel      reodft
> Makefile.am  bootstrap.sh  depcomp       libbench2   simd-support
>

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to build the FFTW library from source, but have been
>> stumbling for a while this afternoon.  It does not include a configure
>> script, but has a configure.ac file so I eventually found I should be
>> able to continue after installing the MSYS developer toolkit, so I
>> launched mingw-get and installed them.
>>
>> Mingw-get shows that the msys-perl binary package is installed, and
>> perl.exe is seemingly present in my MSYS installation (The file
>> c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\perl.exe exists in my Windows installation), but
>> inside MSYS, it does not show perl.exe within the /bin directory.
>> Likewise, running autoconf to create FFTW's configure scripts (or
>> running the included bootstrap.sh script that supposedly is used to
>> help build FFWT from source) results in this error:
>>
>> /mingw/bin/autoconf-2.68: /mingw/bin/autom4te-2.68: /bin/perl: bad
>> interpreter: No such file or directory
>>
>> I have no idea where to go from here, so if anybody could point me in
>> the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you in
>> advance.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

http://www.fftw.org/fftw-3.3.4.tar.gz is what they call the "latest stable release, its what I've used.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't find that file is included when I download the current source
package from the git repository:
https://github.com/FFTW/fftw3

Maybe they only provide it when they produce a formal new release or
something, but it seems that I need to be able to use autoconf to
build the script, and that seems to require perl in my MSYS
environment.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My fftw distribnution includes a configure:
>
> greg@Homerw7 /e/mingw/sources/fftw-3.3.4
> $ ls
> AUTHORS      Makefile.in   compile       dft         ltmain.sh     support
> CONVENTIONS  NEWS          config.guess  doc         m4            tests
> COPYING      README        config.h.in   fftw.pc.in  missing       threads
> COPYRIGHT    TODO          config.sub    genfft      mpi           tools
> ChangeLog    aclocal.m4    configure     install-sh  rdft
> INSTALL      api           configure.ac  kernel      reodft
> Makefile.am  bootstrap.sh  depcomp       libbench2   simd-support
>

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to build the FFTW library from source, but have been
>> stumbling for a while this afternoon.  It does not include a configure
>> script, but has a configure.ac file so I eventually found I should be
>> able to continue after installing the MSYS developer toolkit, so I
>> launched mingw-get and installed them.
>>
>> Mingw-get shows that the msys-perl binary package is installed, and
>> perl.exe is seemingly present in my MSYS installation (The file
>> c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\perl.exe exists in my Windows installation), but
>> inside MSYS, it does not show perl.exe within the /bin directory.
>> Likewise, running autoconf to create FFTW's configure scripts (or
>> running the included bootstrap.sh script that supposedly is used to
>> help build FFWT from source) results in this error:
>>
>> /mingw/bin/autoconf-2.68: /mingw/bin/autom4te-2.68: /bin/perl: bad
>> interpreter: No such file or directory
>>
>> I have no idea where to go from here, so if anybody could point me in
>> the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you in
>> advance.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Brian Rayne
I realize that, and I am already using that version in my application,
however one of the end users requested I try to build FFTW from the
latest source code to make use of some of the recent compiler
optimizations they've made.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.fftw.org/fftw-3.3.4.tar.gz is what they call the "latest stable
> release, its what I've used.
>
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't find that file is included when I download the current source
>> package from the git repository:
>> https://github.com/FFTW/fftw3
>>
>> Maybe they only provide it when they produce a formal new release or
>> something, but it seems that I need to be able to use autoconf to
>> build the script, and that seems to require perl in my MSYS
>> environment.
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > My fftw distribnution includes a configure:
>> >
>> > greg@Homerw7 /e/mingw/sources/fftw-3.3.4
>> > $ ls
>> > AUTHORS      Makefile.in   compile       dft         ltmain.sh
>> > support
>> > CONVENTIONS  NEWS          config.guess  doc         m4            tests
>> > COPYING      README        config.h.in   fftw.pc.in  missing
>> > threads
>> > COPYRIGHT    TODO          config.sub    genfft      mpi           tools
>> > ChangeLog    aclocal.m4    configure     install-sh  rdft
>> > INSTALL      api           configure.ac  kernel      reodft
>> > Makefile.am  bootstrap.sh  depcomp       libbench2   simd-support

>> > [hidden email]
>> >
>> > This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> > http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> > We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> > etiquette
>> > may cause your account to be moderated.

>> --
>> If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
>> try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Greg Jung
That should be the source distribution. - 4MB

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
I realize that, and I am already using that version in my application,
however one of the end users requested I try to build FFTW from the
latest source code to make use of some of the recent compiler
optimizations they've made.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.fftw.org/fftw-3.3.4.tar.gz is what they call the "latest stable
> release, its what I've used.
>
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't find that file is included when I download the current source
>> package from the git repository:
>> https://github.com/FFTW/fftw3
>>
>> Maybe they only provide it when they produce a formal new release or
>> something, but it seems that I need to be able to use autoconf to
>> build the script, and that seems to require perl in my MSYS
>> environment.
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > My fftw distribnution includes a configure:
>> >
>> > greg@Homerw7 /e/mingw/sources/fftw-3.3.4
>> > $ ls
>> > AUTHORS      Makefile.in   compile       dft         ltmain.sh
>> > support
>> > CONVENTIONS  NEWS          config.guess  doc         m4            tests
>> > COPYING      README        config.h.in   fftw.pc.in  missing
>> > threads
>> > COPYRIGHT    TODO          config.sub    genfft      mpi           tools
>> > ChangeLog    aclocal.m4    configure     install-sh  rdft
>> > INSTALL      api           configure.ac  kernel      reodft
>> > Makefile.am  bootstrap.sh  depcomp       libbench2   simd-support

>> > [hidden email]
>> >
>> > This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> > http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> > We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> > etiquette
>> > may cause your account to be moderated.

>> --
>> If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
>> try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Greg Jung
Oh I get it, well just overlay the configure files into the source distro, or overlay the new sources into the old configured version.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
That should be the source distribution. - 4MB

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
I realize that, and I am already using that version in my application,
however one of the end users requested I try to build FFTW from the
latest source code to make use of some of the recent compiler
optimizations they've made.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.fftw.org/fftw-3.3.4.tar.gz is what they call the "latest stable
> release, its what I've used.
>
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't find that file is included when I download the current source
>> package from the git repository:
>> https://github.com/FFTW/fftw3
>>
>> Maybe they only provide it when they produce a formal new release or
>> something, but it seems that I need to be able to use autoconf to
>> build the script, and that seems to require perl in my MSYS
>> environment.
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > My fftw distribnution includes a configure:
>> >
>> > greg@Homerw7 /e/mingw/sources/fftw-3.3.4
>> > $ ls
>> > AUTHORS      Makefile.in   compile       dft         ltmain.sh
>> > support
>> > CONVENTIONS  NEWS          config.guess  doc         m4            tests
>> > COPYING      README        config.h.in   fftw.pc.in  missing
>> > threads
>> > COPYRIGHT    TODO          config.sub    genfft      mpi           tools
>> > ChangeLog    aclocal.m4    configure     install-sh  rdft
>> > INSTALL      api           configure.ac  kernel      reodft
>> > Makefile.am  bootstrap.sh  depcomp       libbench2   simd-support

>> > [hidden email]
>> >
>> > This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> > http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> > We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> > etiquette
>> > may cause your account to be moderated.

>> --
>> If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
>> try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Brian Rayne
Just a little while ago that possibility did occur to me and I emailed
FFTW support to see if it would be as simple as using 4.4.3's
configure script, so I'll wait to see what they think.  You mentioned
configure files (plural), which ones besides configure would I need to
copy over?  Or is your other suggestion (overwrite 4.4.3 with the git
source files) easier?  I still would ultimately like to get this MSYS
issue figured out though, in case I end up needing to use autoconf for
this or any other source package.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh I get it, well just overlay the configure files into the source distro,
> or overlay the new sources into the old configured version.
>
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That should be the source distribution. - 4MB
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I realize that, and I am already using that version in my application,
>>> however one of the end users requested I try to build FFTW from the
>>> latest source code to make use of some of the recent compiler
>>> optimizations they've made.

>>> --
>>> If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
>>> try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Greg Jung
A great tool for windows is  WinMerge which you can use to compare visually two directories
and the files they contain.
  I tested autoconf and except for the warning, that it would like autoconf v2.69, it is working.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just a little while ago that possibility did occur to me and I emailed
FFTW support to see if it would be as simple as using 4.4.3's
configure script, so I'll wait to see what they think.  You mentioned
configure files (plural), which ones besides configure would I need to
copy over?  Or is your other suggestion (overwrite 4.4.3 with the git
source files) easier?  I still would ultimately like to get this MSYS
issue figured out though, in case I end up needing to use autoconf for
this or any other source package.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh I get it, well just overlay the configure files into the source distro,
> or overlay the new sources into the old configured version.
>
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That should be the source distribution. - 4MB
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I realize that, and I am already using that version in my application,
>>> however one of the end users requested I try to build FFTW from the
>>> latest source code to make use of some of the recent compiler
>>> optimizations they've made.

>>> --
>>> If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
>>> try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Brian Rayne
I suppose I'll try combining FFTW source from git and the last
official release at some point.  And for the other issue I'll keep my
fingers crossed that somebody has ideas about why mingw-get won't
install perl for me.  Thanks for your assistance.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A great tool for windows is  WinMerge which you can use to compare visually
> two directories
> and the files they contain.
>   I tested autoconf and except for the warning, that it would like autoconf
> v2.69, it is working.
>

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Brian Rayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just a little while ago that possibility did occur to me and I emailed
>> FFTW support to see if it would be as simple as using 4.4.3's
>> configure script, so I'll wait to see what they think.  You mentioned
>> configure files (plural), which ones besides configure would I need to
>> copy over?  Or is your other suggestion (overwrite 4.4.3 with the git
>> source files) easier?  I still would ultimately like to get this MSYS
>> issue figured out though, in case I end up needing to use autoconf for
>> this or any other source package.
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Greg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Oh I get it, well just overlay the configure files into the source
>> > distro,
>> > or overlay the new sources into the old configured version.

>> > [hidden email]
>> >
>> > This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> > http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> > We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> > etiquette
>> > may cause your account to be moderated.

>> --
>> If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
>> try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

If you look through windows you can see what people are doing. If you
try to look through a penguin it will bite you.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Keith Marshall-3
On 02/08/15 02:54, Brian Rayne wrote:
> I suppose I'll try combining FFTW source from git and the last
> official release at some point.

Please don't top post; it makes it nigh on impossible to preserve
context, (which here, relates to the absence of a configure script in a
git check-out of FFTW sources, whereas it *is* present in a release
tarball).

FWIW, such omissions are fairly common for sources checked out directly
from a code repository, (whether it be git, Mercurial, SVN, or even
venerable old CVS); it is actually good repository husbandry to leave
the generation of such files to the user, rather than to clutter up the
repository with generated files, which may change (apparently) at
random, as a result of nothing more than a change in version of the tool
used for regeneration.  Thus, users working directly from a repository
may be required to deploy additional tools, which are not required by
users of released tarballs.

As to whether, or not, merging the generated files from a previous
release into a repository check-out is a useful work-around, to save
regeneration, will depend on whether or not those old generated files
remain consistent with the requirements of the current state of the
repository code-base; YMMV, but regeneration must always be the
preferred methodology.

You originally said:
> Mingw-get shows that the msys-perl binary package is installed, and
> perl.exe is seemingly present in my MSYS installation (The file
> c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\perl.exe exists in my Windows installation),

so mingw-get clearly *has* installed perl for you.  You are asking the
wrong question here; what you should be asking is "why does perl.exe not
*appear* to be installed in MSYS' /bin directory, when it is clear from
the windows directory listings that it is present where it should be
expected?"  So, revisiting your original post:
> inside MSYS, it does not show perl.exe within the /bin directory.

What *exactly* do you mean by "inside MSYS"?  How are you getting to
this state of being "inside MSYS"?  When you are in this state, what is
the output from running these commands (literally):

  (cd / && pwd -W)

and:

  cmd //c echo /

Let's get to the bottom of the real problem, rather than faffing about
with a kludgey work-around for a consequence, which should not arise.

Re: Cannot install and use msys-perl

Brian Rayne
On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 5:18 AM, Keith Marshall
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>What *exactly* do you mean by "inside MSYS"?  How are you getting to
>this state of being "inside MSYS"?

When I say "inside MSYS" I mean within the MSYS command shell, which I
launch from the MinGW>MSYS start menu folder structure it created
after I installed it.

>what is the output from running these commands (literally):

The output of both of those commands was:
C:/msys/1.0

Looking around in the file system presented in the MSYS environment,
/mingw/bin seems to contain some items from the MinGW developer
toolkit that I installed through mingw-get (such as autoconf,
automake, etc).  /user/bin seems to contain m4 and patch, which
mingw-get indicates are installed as part of the toolkit.  Attempting
to find if perl existed anywhere in the environment, I changed to the
root directory and issued this command:
find . -name 'perl*'

It did not find any files ending in ".exe" outside of ./mingw/msys/1.0/bin/

On 02/08/15 13:14, Brian Rayne wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 5:18 AM, Keith Marshall
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What *exactly* do you mean by "inside MSYS"?  How are you getting to
>> this state of being "inside MSYS"?
>
> When I say "inside MSYS" I mean within the MSYS command shell, which I
> launch from the MinGW>MSYS start menu folder structure it created
> after I installed it.

So, I guess this is running msys.bat, and thus, you are doing the right
thing; however ...

>> what is the output from running these commands (literally):
>
> The output of both of those commands was:
> C:/msys/1.0

This is *not* the MSYS you've installed using mingw-get; that lives at
C:/mingw/msys/1.0.  I can only speculate that you have an historical
relic from a prior installation, which lacks the tools you thought you
were installing via mingw-get.  I don't know where this installation may
have originated, but you need to fix the start-up shortcut, to ensure
that it invokes the msys.bat in C:/mingw/msys/1.0, instead of this
alternative from C:/msys/1.0, (and then, you may wish to reclaim the
disk space occupied by the defunct C:/msys/1.0 installation).

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Keith Marshall wrote:
> This is *not* the MSYS you've installed using mingw-get

That would definitely explain it, thank you.  In the past I thought it
was necessary for me to manually install MSYS separately so I
apparently ended up with one in addition to one that comes with MinGW.
When I launch the correct MSYS shell it shows that perl is present.

I'd reportedly also need to install ocaml in order to build FFTW, are
there any preferred methods to get that running?