Code repository

12

Code repository

Earnie Boyd
I've taken the liberty of turning on Git for our project.  CVS will
eventually go away, it isn't offered to any new projects, I haven't
learned Mercurial, and I use git with other projects.  Anyone have any
huge heartaches about Git?  I will begin to store some source in it by
this time tomorrow.

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Earnie Boydwrote:
> I've taken the liberty of turning on Git for our project.  CVS will
> eventually go away, it isn't offered to any new projects, I haven't
> learned Mercurial, and I use git with other projects.  Anyone have any
> huge heartaches about Git?  I will begin to store some source in it by
> this time tomorrow.

I've just discovered how to store multiple repositories so when I
convert the CVS data I can take each top level CVS directory and make
it a separate Git repository so we don't have to deal with the whole
enchilada at once.  Should we ignore any of the top level directories?
 Obviously the obsoleted runtime and w32api ones but anything else?

Re: Code repository

Cesar Strauss-2
On 07/25/2012 04:19 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> I've just discovered how to store multiple repositories so when I
> convert the CVS data I can take each top level CVS directory and make
> it a separate Git repository so we don't have to deal with the whole
> enchilada at once.  Should we ignore any of the top level directories?
>   Obviously the obsoleted runtime and w32api ones but anything else?

I suggest splitting the msys directory into two separate repositories:

msys/rt/src -> msys-runtime
msys/dvlpr -> msys-base-files

msys/packages is no longer useful, I think.
msys/doc seems to be empty.

Regards,

Cesar

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Cesar Strauss wrote:

> On 07/25/2012 04:19 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> I've just discovered how to store multiple repositories so when I
>> convert the CVS data I can take each top level CVS directory and make
>> it a separate Git repository so we don't have to deal with the whole
>> enchilada at once.  Should we ignore any of the top level directories?
>>   Obviously the obsoleted runtime and w32api ones but anything else?
>>

> I suggest splitting the msys directory into two separate repositories:
>
> msys/rt/src -> msys-runtime
> msys/dvlpr -> msys-base-files

I called it msys-dvlpr but I can rename it if you want (or you can).
This one is done, I'll do the runtime by the end of Monday.  I had to
get the tools to do the conversion installed.

> msys/packages is no longer useful, I think.

Come of them contain localized changes.  I'll do it last if I do it at all.

> msys/doc seems to be empty.

Didn't I have the rtf files in it at one time?  I don't remember.

I write up a procedure for how to do the conversion.  The repositories
are stored in the shell at /home/scm_git/m/mi/mingw so renaming it is
just a simple mv command.  However, renaming is discouraged once
people being pulling the data as it will cause them a WTF moment.  To
create a new repository you simply do the following.

cd /home/scm_git/m/mi/mingw
mkdir NEWREPO
cd NEWREPO
git init --bare

We should come up with some common hooks to copy to the hooks
directory.  I need to add some to the mingw-dvlpr repo.  We can add
pre-receive to control $USER write access and post-receive to send
email to mingw-cvs.  I'll work on these before doing the msys-runtime
repository and store them in the mingw/ repository.  We can then git
clone it from the mingw/ repository as needed.  But I'll have to play
with it to make sure.

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> To create a new repository you simply do the following.
>
> cd /home/scm_git/m/mi/mingw

Actually /home/scm_git/mingw works as well.  They've begun to do away
with m/mi/mingw style directories but still exists for the legacy.

> mkdir NEWREPO
> cd NEWREPO
> git init --bare

On the email notification for the push I've set the mailing list to
mingw-cvs but should I use mingw-notify instead?  Then we can
deprecate mingw-cvs?

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> To create a new repository you simply do the following.
>>
>> cd /home/scm_git/m/mi/mingw
>
> Actually /home/scm_git/mingw works as well.  They've begun to do away
> with m/mi/mingw style directories but still exists for the legacy.
>
>> mkdir NEWREPO
>> cd NEWREPO
>> git init --bare
>>

> On the email notification for the push I've set the mailing list to
> mingw-cvs but should I use mingw-notify instead?  Then we can
> deprecate mingw-cvs?

The code repository move is completed except for actually removing
CVS.  I created a historical directory in the repository directory to
move some of the repositories to after I converted them to git.  There
is no public reference to them but you can view the gitweb version if
you know the directory path to modify the URI reference.  You can also
git clone them if you know they exist.  That said, I converted all but
three items.  There was an old scripts repository in CVS which I
didn't think worth converting, a home repository that contained some
old Attic stuff when we were using SF's web space and the msys/doc
directory.  If we don't want to maintain any of the other repositories
currently visible then we can simply move them to the historical
directory.

I left mingw-cvs as the list to announce the changes to for all
repositories.  If we want to change it we can modify the config file
in each repository directory.  We control who has write to a
repository via the hooks/pre-receive script in each repository
directory.  We control the sending of announcements via the
hooks/post-receive script which currently points to a SF supplied
common script.  Are there other hooks we should consider?
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/githooks.html

How long should we keep CVS active?  I'm thinking at least a couple of
months.  Should we also modify the avail config file to ensure that no
one can write to it?

Re: Code repository

I've documented the process I used to convert CVS to Git at
https://sourceforge.net/u/earnie/home/CVS%20to%20Git%20SF%20repository/
in case someone wants to know.

Re: Code repository

Hin-Tak Leung
--- On Sun, 29/7/12, Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've documented the process I used to
> convert CVS to Git at
> https://sourceforge.net/u/earnie/home/CVS%20to%20Git%20SF%20repository/
> in case someone wants to know.

Hmm, I was looking for any clever tips on using git-cvsimport (built in to git) but instead found that you have gone about it totally differently. Is there any reason why you did not use git-cvsimport?

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Hin-Tak Leung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> --- On Sun, 29/7/12, Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've documented the process I used to
>> convert CVS to Git at
>> https://sourceforge.net/u/earnie/home/CVS%20to%20Git%20SF%20repository/
>> in case someone wants to know.
>
> Hmm, I was looking for any clever tips on using git-cvsimport (built in to git) but instead found that you have gone about it totally differently. Is there any reason why you did not use git-cvsimport?

I found someone else's tips and didn't know about git-cvsimport.  The
difference between the someone else's tips and mine is that I packaged
it in a script.

Re: Code repository

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> I've documented the process I used to convert CVS to Git at
> https://sourceforge.net/u/earnie/home/CVS%20to%20Git%20SF%20repository/
> in case someone wants to know.

A todo item as a result of this conversion is to update
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Official_CVS_Repository if someone wants to
do it.  The URI and title should change as well to become
Official_Repository and we need to look for backlinks using it.

Re: Code repository

On 29/07/12 20:49, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> I've documented the process I used to convert CVS to Git at
> https://sourceforge.net/u/earnie/home/CVS%20to%20Git%20SF%20repository/
> in case someone wants to know.

I guess you lost the module relationships, which were mapped in CVS; I
just did

  $ hg clone git+ssh://<repo-path>/mingw-get

Neither the build-aux nor the m4 modules were pulled.

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Keith Marshall wrote:

> On 29/07/12 20:49, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> I've documented the process I used to convert CVS to Git at
>> https://sourceforge.net/u/earnie/home/CVS%20to%20Git%20SF%20repository/
>> in case someone wants to know.
>
> I guess you lost the module relationships, which were mapped in CVS; I
> just did
>
>   $ hg clone git+ssh://<repo-path>/mingw-get
>
> Neither the build-aux nor the m4 modules were pulled.

Yes, I missed it.  We need a hooks/post-checkout script that will pull
the other files.  I'm trying to find examples now.

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Keith Marshall wrote:
>> On 29/07/12 20:49, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>> I've documented the process I used to convert CVS to Git at
>>> https://sourceforge.net/u/earnie/home/CVS%20to%20Git%20SF%20repository/
>>> in case someone wants to know.
>>
>> I guess you lost the module relationships, which were mapped in CVS; I
>> just did
>>
>>   $ hg clone git+ssh://<repo-path>/mingw-get
>>
>> Neither the build-aux nor the m4 modules were pulled.
>
> Yes, I missed it.  We need a hooks/post-checkout script that will pull
> the other files.  I'm trying to find examples now.

Actually, it is a git submodule which will add the build-aux
repository.  I'll see if I can use the post-checkout hook to
symlink/copy the m4 directory to the top layer.  Autoconf doesn't have
a way to give it some other directory structure, i.e. telling it were
to find build-aux/m4?

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess you lost the module relationships, which were mapped in CVS; I
>>> just did
>>>
>>>   $ hg clone git+ssh://<repo-path>/mingw-get
>>>
>>> Neither the build-aux nor the m4 modules were pulled.
>>
>> Yes, I missed it.  We need a hooks/post-checkout script that will pull
>> the other files.  I'm trying to find examples now.
>
> Actually, it is a git submodule which will add the build-aux
> repository.  I'll see if I can use the post-checkout hook to
> symlink/copy the m4 directory to the top layer.  Autoconf doesn't have
> a way to give it some other directory structure, i.e. telling it were
> to find build-aux/m4?

— Macro: AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR (dir)
Specify dir as the location of additional local Autoconf macros. This
macro is intended for use by future versions of commands like
autoreconf that trace macro calls. It should be called directly from
configure.ac so that tools that install macros for aclocal can find
the macros' declarations.

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Earnie Boyd
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

>>> Yes, I missed it.  We need a hooks/post-checkout script that will pull
>>> the other files.  I'm trying to find examples now.
>>
>> Actually, it is a git submodule which will add the build-aux
>> repository.  I'll see if I can use the post-checkout hook to
>> symlink/copy the m4 directory to the top layer.  Autoconf doesn't have
>> a way to give it some other directory structure, i.e. telling it were
>> to find build-aux/m4?
>
> — Macro: AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR (dir)
> Specify dir as the location of additional local Autoconf macros. This
> macro is intended for use by future versions of commands like
> autoreconf that trace macro calls. It should be called directly from
> configure.ac so that tools that install macros for aclocal can find
> the macros' declarations.

No, that doesn't work but this change does, ok to commit?

diff --git a/aclocal.m4 b/aclocal.m4
index 03f543b..ac2e37b 100644
--- a/aclocal.m4
+++ b/aclocal.m4
@@ -22,7 +22,7 @@
 # MinGW Project, accept liability for any damages, however caused,
 # arising from the use of this software.
 #
-m4_include([m4/missing.m4])
+m4_include([build-aux/m4/missing.m4])

 # MINGW_AC_OUTPUT
 # ---------------

Re: Code repository

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess you lost the module relationships, which were mapped in CVS; I
>>> just did
>>>
>>>   $ hg clone git+ssh://<repo-path>/mingw-get
>>>
>>> Neither the build-aux nor the m4 modules were pulled.
>>
>> Yes, I missed it.  We need a hooks/post-checkout script that will pull
>> the other files.  I'm trying to find examples now.
>
> Actually, it is a git submodule which will add the build-aux
> repository.  I'll see if I can use the post-checkout hook to
> symlink/copy the m4 directory to the top layer.  Autoconf doesn't have
> a way to give it some other directory structure, i.e. telling it were
> to find build-aux/m4?

BTW, I added the build-aux as a submodule but you need a local version
of hooks/post-checkout.  In my msysgit directory I modified the
share/git-core/templates/hooks/ directory to add the post-checkout
file.  It needs to contain the following in order for the submodule
data to be pulled.

<file name="share/git-core/templates/hooks/post-checkout">
#!/bin/sh
git submodule init
git submodule update
</file>

Re: Code repository

Hin-Tak Leung
--- On Tue, 31/7/12, Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM,
> Keith Marshall wrote:
> > On 29/07/12 20:49, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >> I've documented the process I used to convert CVS
> to Git at
> >> https://sourceforge.net/u/earnie/home/CVS%20to%20Git%20SF%20repository/
> >> in case someone wants to know.
> >
> > I guess you lost the module relationships, which were
> mapped in CVS; I
> > just did
> >
> >   $ hg clone
> git+ssh://<repo-path>/mingw-get
> >
> > Neither the build-aux nor the m4 modules were pulled.
>
> Yes, I missed it.  We need a hooks/post-checkout script
> that will pull
> the other files.  I'm trying to find examples now.

You need to add a .gitsubmodule file, and do 'git submodule add ...', I think?

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> You need to add a .gitsubmodule file, and do 'git submodule add ...', I think?

Done already.

Re: Code repository

On 31/07/12 18:08, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> No, that doesn't work but this change does, ...
>
> diff --git a/aclocal.m4 b/aclocal.m4
> index 03f543b..ac2e37b 100644
> --- a/aclocal.m4
> +++ b/aclocal.m4
> @@ -22,7 +22,7 @@
>  # MinGW Project, accept liability for any damages, however caused,
>  # arising from the use of this software.
>  #
> -m4_include([m4/missing.m4])
> +m4_include([build-aux/m4/missing.m4])
>
>  # MINGW_AC_OUTPUT
>  # ---------------

Looks reasonable to me.  I used the sibling arrangement when I set it up
originally, and testing the module configuration with a local CVS kept
it that way; it seems to be pulled differently from SF's remote CVS service.

>  ok to commit?

Please do.

Re: Code repository

Earnie Boyd
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Keith Marshall wrote:
>>  ok to commit?
>
> Please do.

Done.

12