Concerns about hosting mingw on sourceforge

Concerns about hosting mingw on sourceforge

Over time Sourceforge has become a shady service. They bundle installers
with ad and malware and recently "took over the control of the 'GIMP for
Windows' account and is now distributing an ads-enabled installer of
GIMP. They also locked out original owner of the account, Jernej
Simončič, who has been building the Windows versions of GIMP for our
project for years." (https://plus.google.com/+gimp/posts/cxhB1PScFpe) .

Im a user of Mingw but I dont trust files especially executables from
Sourceforge anymore and I would like it very much if Mingw would move to
an alternative. I realize this can be a huge effort but I felt like it
was important to voice my opinion on this matter and projects should
think about if they really want to be affiliated with Sourceforge at
this point.

Re: Concerns about hosting mingw on sourceforge

waterlan
V schreef op 2015-05-27 23:44:

> Over time Sourceforge has become a shady service. They bundle
> installers
> with ad and malware and recently "took over the control of the 'GIMP
> for
> Windows' account and is now distributing an ads-enabled installer of
> GIMP. They also locked out original owner of the account, Jernej
> Simončič, who has been building the Windows versions of GIMP for our
> project for years." (https://plus.google.com/+gimp/posts/cxhB1PScFpe) .
>
> Im a user of Mingw but I dont trust files especially executables from
> Sourceforge anymore and I would like it very much if Mingw would move
> an alternative. I realize this can be a huge effort but I felt like it
> was important to voice my opinion on this matter and projects should
> think about if they really want to be affiliated with Sourceforge at
> this point.

It could also be that somebody hacked the project and pretends to be a
SF editor.

--
Erwin

Re: Concerns about hosting mingw on sourceforge

John E. / TDM
On 5/28/2015 3:01 PM, waterlan wrote:

> V schreef op 2015-05-27 23:44:
>> Over time Sourceforge has become a shady service. They bundle
>> installers
>> with ad and malware and recently "took over the control of the 'GIMP
>> for
>> Windows' account and is now distributing an ads-enabled installer of
>> GIMP. They also locked out original owner of the account, Jernej
>> Simončič, who has been building the Windows versions of GIMP for our
>> project for years." (https://plus.google.com/+gimp/posts/cxhB1PScFpe) .
> It could also be that somebody hacked the project and pretends to be a
> SF editor.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/

Pretty sure SourceForge was intentional about it.

-John E. / TDM

Re: Concerns about hosting mingw on sourceforge

Yongwei Wu
On Friday, 29 May 2015, waterlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
V schreef op 2015-05-27 23:44:
> Over time Sourceforge has become a shady service. They bundle
> installers
> with ad and malware and recently "took over the control of the 'GIMP
> for
> Windows' account and is now distributing an ads-enabled installer of
> GIMP. They also locked out original owner of the account, Jernej
> Simončič, who has been building the Windows versions of GIMP for our
> project for years." (https://plus.google.com/+gimp/posts/cxhB1PScFpe) .
>
> Im a user of Mingw but I dont trust files especially executables from
> Sourceforge anymore and I would like it very much if Mingw would move
> an alternative. I realize this can be a huge effort but I felt like it
> was important to voice my opinion on this matter and projects should
> think about if they really want to be affiliated with Sourceforge at
> this point.

It could also be that somebody hacked the project and pretends to be a
SF editor.

No, SF confirmed that they thought the project was abandoned and “took it over”.

--
Wu Yongwei

Re: Concerns about hosting mingw on sourceforge

> From: John E. / TDM
>
> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-
> gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/
>
> Pretty sure SourceForge was intentional about it.

So from this article and the links it provides I discover that the GIMP-WIN project file delivery wasn't using SF.
SF decided to mirror the new project downloads for the old account.
Only mirrored projects get the adware installer by default.
We are not a mirrored project so we get no adware wrapped installer.

Also sf.net/p/gimp-win now redirects to the official gimp.org page.

On 6/26/2015 7:37 AM, Earnie wrote:
>> From: John E. / TDM
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-
>> gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/
>>
>> Pretty sure SourceForge was intentional about it.
>>
> So from this article and the links it provides I discover that the GIMP-WIN project file delivery wasn't using SF.
> SF decided to mirror the new project downloads for the old account.

Actually, Jernej Simončič (a 3rd-party developer who built GIMP binaries
for Windows) made the decision to use SF as a mirror.

> Only mirrored projects get the adware installer by default.
> We are not a mirrored project so we get no adware wrapped installer.

Actually, it's projects that the SourceForge editor(s) view as being
abandoned that got the adware installer. Active projects can, for now,
choose to use or not use it on an opt-in basis.

I see it as being pretty distasteful to have SourceForge monetizing
abandoned repositories without the explicit consent of the authors -
even if the license those authors chose allows it, I would prefer
SourceForge to take the high ground.

-John E. / TDM