Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS Version 1.0.11

Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS Version 1.0.11

Robert Matlock
Hello All,

Having this error in postinstall with msys version 1.0.11. Get the following error:

Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS Version 1.0.11

Apparently this error goes back as far as 2006. Is there a fix?

I'm running XP sp3. All upgrades current.

____________________________
Robert Matlock
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology, 6S-143
College of Staten Island
City University of New York
2800 Victory Blvd. 10314

Think green before you print this email.

Re: Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS Version 1.0.11

JonY-6
On 6/27/2010 08:11, Robert Matlock wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Having this error in postinstall with msys version 1.0.11. Get the following error:
>
> Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS Version 1.0.11
>
> Apparently this error goes back as far as 2006. Is there a fix?
>
> I'm running XP sp3. All upgrades current.

Hi,

this is not a bug, it is due of other software interfering with MSYS.
Check the BLODA list:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

These software inject themselves indiscriminately causing all sorts of
problems.

Re: Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS Version 1.0.11

Bidski
> this is not a bug, it is due of other software interfering with MSYS.
> Check the BLODA list:

I had this problem too while using Eclipse. The solution I found was to
rebase msys-1.0.dll. Not sure how to do this, but you can find copies of a
rebased dll on the web.

Regards
Bidski

On Sunday 27 June 2010 01:30:30 JonY wrote:

> On 6/27/2010 08:11, Robert Matlock wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Having this error in postinstall with msys version 1.0.11. Get
> > the following error:
> >
> > Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS
> > Version 1.0.11
> >
> > Apparently this error goes back as far as 2006.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until 2010 that those in a position to do
anything about it were made aware of it.  Since it was brought to our
attention, there has been some considerable discussion on the MinGW
Developers' list:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.devel/3831

> > Is there a fix?

There is a work around; it requires reassignment of the preferred
itself.

> > I'm running XP sp3. All upgrades current.
>
> Hi,
>
> this is not a bug, ...

Yes, it is.

> it is due of other software interfering with
> MSYS. Check the BLODA list:
>
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

This may be a contributing factor, but it isn't necessarily so.

> These software inject themselves indiscriminately causing all sorts
> of problems.

Yes, they do, and often in non-deterministic ways, which may not even
be reliably reproducible, and hence are very difficult to diagnose
and debug.  However, the problem in this case is congestion in the
DLL loading address space, where msys-1.0.dll prefers to be loaded;
there isn't sufficient space, and the Windows loader can't find a
suitable relocation address.  No matter what address is chosen, there
is always a possibility of conflict.  The address which was chosen
just seems to be resulting in such conflicts more frequently now,
than it used to.  The maintainer will try to use a less contentious
address for future releases, but whatever address is chosen, some
potential for conflict must always exist, (and BLODAs will increase
that potential); sadly, some users may always be faced with a need to
rebase the DLL.

Re: Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS Version 1.0.11

Hans-Jürgen Walter
Robert Matlock <Robert.Matlock@...> writes:

> Hello All,
>
> Having this error in postinstall with msys version 1.0.11. Get the following
error:

> Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS Version 1.0.11
>
> Apparently this error goes back as far as 2006. Is there a fix?
>
> I'm running XP sp3. All upgrades current.
>
> ____________________________
> Robert Matlock
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Biology, 6S-143
> College of Staten Island
> City University of New York
> 2800 Victory Blvd. 10314
>
> Think green before you print this email.

================================
Hi Robert,

I got a newer Version of msys-1.0.dll (2. Jan. 2007) overriding the one from
16. Mar 2004.from
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200701/msg00002.html

That helped it.

Re: Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap win32 error 6 MSYS Version 1.0.11

Keith Marshall-3
On 2010/10/30 Hans-Jürgen Walter wrote:
> I got a newer Version of msys-1.0.dll (2. Jan. 2007) overriding the one from
> 16. Mar 2004.from
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200701/msg00002.html
>
> That helped it.

That's already nothing more than an historical curiosity; the current version
is dated 2010-10-01, and provided by:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MSYS/BaseSystem/msys-core/msys-1.0.16-1/msysCORE-1.0.16-1-msys-1.0.16-bin.tar.lzma/download

I can think of no valid reason to recommend any earlier (now obsolete)
version, especially since there was specific effort devoted to the particular
issue discussed in this thread, earlier this year.  Furthermore, retrieval of
MSYS versions from surrogate distributors cannot be condoned here; we
have no idea how they may have modified the code; while we are happy
to permit such distributions, we do not provide support for them.