Cross Platform Makefiles

Michael S. Zick
Group,
I'll let a little personal preference sneak in here...

Cross Platform Makefiles need not be that difficult;
just apply a little functional programming...

<http://premake.sourceforge.net/PremakeWiki/Download>

Despite the link name, that page is ABOUT the download;

If you want to use it, the binaries already include Lua
<http://www.lua.org>

If you want to build it, for fun or profit, download the binary
and the source, since the source uses premake.lua.

The one page on-line "reference manual" that appears to
show the configuration file (it does) also shows the Lua
code - I.E: those configuration files ARE the source code.

Lua (and premake) will compile on anything that is targeted
by an ansi C compiler.

Mike

On Tue June 7 2005 07:29, Michael S. Zick wrote:

> Group,
> I'll let a little personal preference sneak in here...
>
> Cross Platform Makefiles need not be that difficult;
> just apply a little functional programming...
>
> <http://premake.sourceforge.net/PremakeWiki/Download>
>
> Despite the link name, that page is ABOUT the download;
>
> If you want to use it, the binaries already include Lua
> <http://www.lua.org>
>
> If you want to build it, for fun or profit, download the binary
> and the source, since the source uses premake.lua.
>
> The one page on-line "reference manual" that appears to
> show the configuration file (it does) also shows the Lua
> code - I.E: those configuration files ARE the source code.
>
> Lua (and premake) will compile on anything that is targeted
> by an ansi C compiler.

Oh,
The Lua code is "C++ clean" it will build with an ansi C or
C++ compiler.

The Lua distribution does not use premake, it is the
distribution of premake, which includes the Lua
source, that uses premake.

I am not sure if I made that clearer or not - think catch-22.

If there are any readers of this list that are new to C
programming and haven't picked their personal style
yet; read the Lua source code - C can be beautiful.

Mike