Current MinGW GCC gives no output on failures?

Current MinGW GCC gives no output on failures?

Clive Crous
Hi,

I'm having trouble with failed compiles not giving any output at all (unless the input source file is completely missing).

I've used mingw-get to install everything on my system, and it appears that gcc/g++ simply don't output errors anymore? Is there something I'm missing here?

I've attached a screenshot.

Thanks,
Clive

Re: Current MinGW GCC gives no output on failures?

KHMan
On 5/20/2015 4:59 PM, Clive Crous wrote:
> I'm having trouble with failed compiles not giving any output at
> all (unless the input source file is completely missing).
>
> I've used mingw-get to install everything on my system, and it
> appears that gcc/g++ simply don't output errors anymore? Is there
> something I'm missing here?
>
> I've attached a screenshot.

With a zero byte a.c, I've consistently got:
$ gcc a.c
e:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../../libmingw32.a(main.o):(.text.startup+0xa7):
undefined reference to `WinMain@16'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

If you compile-only using -c, then the zero byte a.c gives a 406
byte a.o file. Using installed gcc 4.8.1, I didn't install
everything though.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)

Re: Current MinGW GCC gives no output on failures?

Clive Crous
The zero byte was a simplified example. Any errors, at all, for any reason (eg missing includes, for instance) give me no output, no indication of error, no result file, nothing printed (exit code 1).

Clive

On Wed, 20 May 2015 at 12:03 KHMan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/20/2015 4:59 PM, Clive Crous wrote:
> I'm having trouble with failed compiles not giving any output at
> all (unless the input source file is completely missing).
>
> I've used mingw-get to install everything on my system, and it
> appears that gcc/g++ simply don't output errors anymore? Is there
> something I'm missing here?
>
> I've attached a screenshot.

With a zero byte a.c, I've consistently got:
$ gcc a.c
e:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../../libmingw32.a(main.o):(.text.startup+0xa7):
undefined reference to `WinMain@16'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

If you compile-only using -c, then the zero byte a.c gives a 406
byte a.o file. Using installed gcc 4.8.1, I didn't install
everything though.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

On 5/20/2015 6:19 PM, Clive Crous wrote:
> The zero byte was a simplified example. Any errors, at all, for
> any reason (eg missing includes, for instance) give me no output,
> no indication of error, no result file, nothing printed (exit code 1).

Could be a configuration problem. See output below. COLLECT_GCC is
different, I guess the wrapper failed to call gcc proper.

$ gcc -v a.c
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=E:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=e:/mingw/bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: mingw32
Configured with: <snipped all of this>
CFLAGS=-D_USE_32BIT_TIME_T
Thread model: win32
gcc version 4.8.1 (GCC)
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-v' '-mtune=generic' '-march=pentiumpro'
  e:/mingw/bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/cc1.exe -quiet -v
-iprefix e:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/ a.c -quiet
-dumpbase a.c -mtune=generic -march=pentiumpro -auxbase a -version
-o C:\Users\khman\AppData\Local\Temp\cceXlTBf.s
GNU C (GCC) version 4.8.1 (mingw32)
         compiled by GNU C version 4.8.1, GMP version 5.1.2, MPFR
version 3.1.2, MPC version 1.0.1

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)

Re: Current MinGW GCC gives no output on failures?

Clive Crous
This is on a fresh, clean install of Windows, MinGW is all that is installed on that machine, I used MinGW's own installer.
So if this is a configuration problem, it means the installer is broken.

For those that are interested, or if you come across the same problems:  I've solved my own problem (I'm able to continue working) by using this MinGW build:

Instead of the binaries on MinGW's own site.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Current MinGW GCC gives no output on failures?

> From: Clive Crous <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 08:59:56 +0000
>
> I'm having trouble with failed compiles not giving any output at all (unless
> the input source file is completely missing).
>
> I've used mingw-get to install everything on my system, and it appears that
> gcc/g++ simply don't output errors anymore? Is there something I'm missing
> here?
>
> I've attached a screenshot.

Looks like something is wrong with your cc1.exe, it doesn't even
announce itself, as it should under -v.

Re: Current MinGW GCC gives no output on failures?

Clive Crous
The errors I've experienced are on a box that's a fresh windows install (server 2012) and then the following scripts executed in order to install MinGW, after which it doesn't display errors.

So, to reproduce : Clean/New windows installation, then run the following:

:: Download

powershell -Command "(New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Installer/mingw-get/mingw-get-0.6.2-beta-20131004-1/mingw-get-0.6.2-mingw32-beta-20131004-1-bin.zip/download', 'C:\Windows\Temp\mingw-get.zip')" <NUL
powershell -Command "(New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920-x64.msi', 'C:\Windows\Temp\7z920-x64.msi')" <NUL

:: Extract

msiexec /qb /i C:\Windows\Temp\7z920-x64.msi
cmd /c ""C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" x C:\Windows\Temp\mingw-get.zip -oC:\MinGW"
msiexec /qb /x C:\Windows\Temp\7z920-x64.msi

:: Update & Install Components

C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get update
C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get install mingw-get
C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get upgrade --reinstall mingw-get
C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get update
C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get install gcc g++ mingw32-make zlib

On Wed, 20 May 2015 at 16:54 Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Clive Crous <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 08:59:56 +0000
>
> I'm having trouble with failed compiles not giving any output at all (unless
> the input source file is completely missing).
>
> I've used mingw-get to install everything on my system, and it appears that
> gcc/g++ simply don't output errors anymore? Is there something I'm missing
> here?
>
> I've attached a screenshot.

Looks like something is wrong with your cc1.exe, it doesn't even
announce itself, as it should under -v.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Current MinGW GCC gives no output on failures?

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Clive Crous <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 16:02:10 +0000
>
> The errors I've experienced are on a box that's a fresh windows install (server
> 2012) and then the following scripts executed in order to install MinGW, after
> which it doesn't display errors.
>
> So, to reproduce : Clean/New windows installation, then run the following:

Not sure how this is relevant.  I'm telling you that judging by the
output of "gcc -v" that you presented, the problem starts with the
invocation of cc1.exe: it didn't display its banner, which it should
have done given the -v switch.

So either cc1.exe was not found (unlikely), or it's corrupted, or
Windows/gcc were unable to run it.  (Is there anything pertinent in
the Windows Event Log?)

Here's how cc1 announces itself in the same command on my machine:

  GNU C (GCC) version 4.8.1 (mingw32)
          compiled by GNU C version 4.8.1, GMP version 5.1.2, MPFR version 3.1.2,
  MPC version 1.0.1
  GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=100 --param ggc-min-heapsize=131072