GCC 5.3 on mingw

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GCC 5.3 on mingw

Pedro Sousa
Dear All,

I know mingw is an voluntary driven project, and we must respect the time each developer has to give to the project.
But I have today installed mingw and checked the gcc version is 4.8.1 and checked the current stable version in gcc site is 5.3

As so is there any plan to upgrade gcc in mingw?

Best regards,
Pedro Sousa

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:15:14 +0000
> From: Pedro Sousa <[hidden email]>
>
> I know mingw is an voluntary driven project, and we must respect the time each
> developer has to give to the project.
> But I have today installed mingw and checked the gcc version is 4.8.1 and
> checked the current stable version in gcc site is 5.3

There's 4.9.x in 'experimental'.  I'm using it for a few weeks, and it
looks fine to me.  (But I only compiled C programs since I installed
it, so caveat emptor.)

> As so is there any plan to upgrade gcc in mingw?

Plans is not the problem...

I think someone reported GCC 5.x doesn't build with MinGW for some
reasons.  If that's true, those reasons should be found and fixed.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

niXman-2
In reply to this post by Pedro Sousa
> Dear All,
>
> I know mingw is an voluntary driven project, and we must respect the
> time
> each developer has to give to the project.
> But I have today installed mingw and checked the gcc version is 4.8.1
> and
> checked the current stable version in gcc site is 5.3
>
> As so is there any plan to upgrade gcc in mingw?
Hi,

All recent version of MinGW you can get from MinGW-W64 project:
sf.net/projects/mingw-w64/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Keith Marshall-3
On 08/01/16 10:38, niXman wrote:

>> Dear All,
>>
>> I know mingw is an voluntary driven project, and we must respect the
>> time
>> each developer has to give to the project.
>> But I have today installed mingw and checked the gcc version is 4.8.1
>> and
>> checked the current stable version in gcc site is 5.3
>>
>> As so is there any plan to upgrade gcc in mingw?
> Hi,
>
> All recent version of MinGW you can get from MinGW-W64 project:
> sf.net/projects/mingw-w64/
This is untrue.  The trademark, "MinGW", has been registered by SPI[*]
on behalf of MinGW.org.  Mingw-w64 is a separate project, delivering an
independent fork from original MinGW.org code; none of their products
have been sanctioned by MinGW.org, thus mingw-w64 is *not* MinGW.

[*] http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/trademarks/

--
Regards,
Keith.

Public key available from keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint: C19E C018 1547 DE50 E1D4 8F53 C0AD 36C6 347E 5A3F


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Keith Marshall-3
In reply to this post by Eli Zaretskii
On 08/01/16 10:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I think someone reported GCC 5.x doesn't build with MinGW for some
> reasons.  If that's true, those reasons should be found and fixed.

GCC.org have introduced a regression in GCC-5.x, whereby specifying the
--disable-sjlj-exceptions build time option, (as MinGW.org have done in
all 4.x builds), causes the libgcc build to implode.

GCC.org have been made aware of the regression, but I see no evidence of
any momentum toward resolving it; I certainly don't have the time to
pursue it myself.

--
Regards,
Keith.

Public key available from keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint: C19E C018 1547 DE50 E1D4 8F53 C0AD 36C6 347E 5A3F


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Pedro Sousa
In reply to this post by Eli Zaretskii
How can I install packages in experimental?

Best regards,
Pedro

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:15:14 +0000
> From: Pedro Sousa <[hidden email]>
>
> I know mingw is an voluntary driven project, and we must respect the time each
> developer has to give to the project.
> But I have today installed mingw and checked the gcc version is 4.8.1 and
> checked the current stable version in gcc site is 5.3

There's 4.9.x in 'experimental'.  I'm using it for a few weeks, and it
looks fine to me.  (But I only compiled C programs since I installed
it, so caveat emptor.)

> As so is there any plan to upgrade gcc in mingw?

Plans is not the problem...

I think someone reported GCC 5.x doesn't build with MinGW for some
reasons.  If that's true, those reasons should be found and fixed.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Pedro Sousa
In reply to this post by Keith Marshall-3
Do you have any documentation how to compile gcc with MingW.

I am new in MingW but if needed I can help.

Best regards,
Pedro

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/01/16 10:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I think someone reported GCC 5.x doesn't build with MinGW for some
> reasons.  If that's true, those reasons should be found and fixed.

GCC.org have introduced a regression in GCC-5.x, whereby specifying the
--disable-sjlj-exceptions build time option, (as MinGW.org have done in
all 4.x builds), causes the libgcc build to implode.

GCC.org have been made aware of the regression, but I see no evidence of
any momentum toward resolving it; I certainly don't have the time to
pursue it myself.

--
Regards,
Keith.

Public key available from keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint: C19E C018 1547 DE50 E1D4 8F53 C0AD 36C6 347E 5A3F


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

niXman-2
In reply to this post by Keith Marshall-3
> ... thus mingw-w64 is *not* MinGW.
Yes, you are right, sorry.
MinGW-W64 is *not* MinGW, it is better than MinGW ;)


--
Regards, niXman
___________________________________________________
Dual-target(32 & 64-bit) MinGW-W64 compilers for 32 and 64-bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Keith Marshall-3
On 08/01/16 13:42, niXman wrote:
>> ... thus mingw-w64 is *not* MinGW.
> Yes, you are right, sorry.
> MinGW-W64 is *not* MinGW, it is better than MinGW ;)

In your opinion, which I (along with many others) do not share; I will
thank you to desist from posting such propaganda here!

--
Regards,
Keith.

Public key available from keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint: C19E C018 1547 DE50 E1D4 8F53 C0AD 36C6 347E 5A3F


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Eli Zaretskii
In reply to this post by niXman-2
> Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 16:42:02 +0300
> From: niXman <[hidden email]>
>
> MinGW-W64 is *not* MinGW, it is better than MinGW ;)

If I thought so, I'd switch a long time ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

waterlan
Op 8-1-2016 om 16:38 schreef Eli Zaretskii:
>> Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 16:42:02 +0300
>> From: niXman <[hidden email]>
>>
>> MinGW-W64 is *not* MinGW, it is better than MinGW ;)
> If I thought so, I'd switch a long time ago.
>
Don't fall in the flamebait trap.

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

David Gressett-6
In reply to this post by Keith Marshall-3
On 08/01/16 07:38 Keith Marshall wrote

>On 08/01/16 10:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I think someone reported GCC 5.x doesn't build with MinGW for some
>> reasons. If that's true, those reasons should be found and fixed.

>GCC.org have introduced a regression in GCC-5.x, whereby specifying the
>--disable-sjlj-exceptions build time option, (as MinGW.org have done in
>all 4.x builds), causes the libgcc build to implode.

>GCC.org have been made aware of the regression, but I see no evidence of
>any momentum toward resolving it; I certainly don't have the time to
>pursue it myself.
There are other problems as well - I use Ada, so I always include it
in my builds, but the 5.x Ada runtime crashes the GCC build because of
assumptions that the Ada compiler will be a 64-bit compiler. A fix for
the Ada regressions is possible; the TDM-GCC project has a 5.1 compiler,
but I have not looked at runtime patches used in that project because
the source of the information for the patches was not clearly documented.
I expect that the problem could be fixed by patching the 32-bit-compatible
Ada runtime functions from gcc-4.9.X into the 5.X Ada runtime, but I also
do not have time to work on it at present.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Ralph Engels
It required some patching but im having a build of gcc-5.3.0 cooking
now. Should be done later today.
Some of the required patches to make gcc 5 work with mingw can be found
on the TDM mingw site if you want a go at building it yourself.  The
biggest regression atm is that libgcc with dwarf exceptions wont build
without patching,
mingw64 also wont build gcc 5 without this patch so its OS specific. You
can use TDM's patch to get around this problem or a similar patch from
the msys2 project that reverts some changes made to the dwarf code, and
it will build again. There are other issues as well mostly in regards to
gcc 5 using 64 bit integers that the mingw runtime does not have types
for yet. You can skip TDM's eh_shmem patch if you dont want gcc to
support throwing exceptions from statically linked libraries, but the
only one that makes me cringe a little is the hack to allways link
statically to libgcc as it breaks sources that rely on the existance of
the libgcc_eh library. Its better to just build gcc statically if you
want that.


On 08-01-2016 17:57, David Gressett wrote:

> On 08/01/16 07:38 Keith Marshall wrote
>
>> On 08/01/16 10:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> I think someone reported GCC 5.x doesn't build with MinGW for some
>>> reasons. If that's true, those reasons should be found and fixed.
>> GCC.org have introduced a regression in GCC-5.x, whereby specifying the
>> --disable-sjlj-exceptions build time option, (as MinGW.org have done in
>> all 4.x builds), causes the libgcc build to implode.
>> GCC.org have been made aware of the regression, but I see no evidence of
>> any momentum toward resolving it; I certainly don't have the time to
>> pursue it myself.
> There are other problems as well - I use Ada, so I always include it
> in my builds, but the 5.x Ada runtime crashes the GCC build because of
> assumptions that the Ada compiler will be a 64-bit compiler. A fix for
> the Ada regressions is possible; the TDM-GCC project has a 5.1 compiler,
> but I have not looked at runtime patches used in that project because
> the source of the information for the patches was not clearly documented.
> I expect that the problem could be fixed by patching the 32-bit-compatible
> Ada runtime functions from gcc-4.9.X into the 5.X Ada runtime, but I also
> do not have time to work on it at present.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> MinGW-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
> This list observes the Etiquette found at
> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.
>
> _______________________________________________
> You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
> Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Eli Zaretskii
> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 16:15:14 +0100
>
> It required some patching but im having a build of gcc-5.3.0 cooking
> now. Should be done later today.

Thanks.  Would it be possible for you to publish the patch you used,
and perhaps also the configuration options?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Ralph Engels
Aye, heres my build script.

ABSPATH=$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)
REALPATH=/mingw
INSTDIR=${ABSPATH}/_inst
BUILDDIR=${ABSPATH}/_gccbuild
export CC=${REALPATH}/bin/gcc
export CXX=${REALPATH}/bin/g++
export CPATH="${REALPATH}/mingw32/include;${REALPATH}/include"
export LPATH="${REALPATH}/mingw32/lib;${REALPATH}/lib"
export CFLAGS+=" -O2 -pipe -DWINPTHREAD_STATIC"
export CXXFLAGS+=" -O2 -pipe -DWINPTHREAD_STATIC"
export LDFLAGS=" -Wl,--large-address-aware"

pushd gcc-5.3.0 > /dev/null

# do not install libiberty
[[ -f libiberty/Makefile.in.src ]] && {
     rm -f libiberty/Makefile.in
     cp -f libiberty/Makefile.in.src libiberty/Makefile.in
} || {
     cp -f libiberty/Makefile.in libiberty/Makefile.in.src
}
sed -i 's/install_to_$(INSTALL_DEST) //' libiberty/Makefile.in

# hack! - some configure tests for header files using "$CPP $CPPFLAGS"
[[ -f libiberty/configure.src ]] && {
     rm -f libiberty/configure
     cp -f libiberty/configure.src libiberty/configure
} || {
     cp -f libiberty/configure libiberty/configure.src
}
sed -i "/ac_cpp=/s/\$CPPFLAGS/\$CPPFLAGS -O2/" libiberty/configure

[[ -f gcc/configure.src ]] && {
     rm -f gcc/configure
     cp -f gcc/configure.src gcc/configure
} || {
     cp -f gcc/configure gcc/configure.src
}
sed -i "/ac_cpp=/s/\$CPPFLAGS/\$CPPFLAGS -O2/" gcc/configure

# do not expect $prefix/mingw symlink
[[ -f configure.src ]] && {
     rm -f configure
     cp -f configure.src configure
} || {
     cp -f configure configure.src
}
sed -i 's/${prefix}\/mingw\//${prefix}\//g' configure

# change hardcoded /mingw prefix to the real prefix
[[ -f gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h.src ]] && {
     rm -f gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h
     cp -f gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h.src gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h
} || {
     cp -f gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h.src
}
MINGW_NATIVE_PREFIX=$(cygpath -am /mingw/mingw32)
sed -i "s/\\/mingw\\//${MINGW_NATIVE_PREFIX//\//\\/}\\//g"
gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h

popd > /dev/null

rm -fr ${BUILDDIR} && \
mkdir ${BUILDDIR} && \
cd ${BUILDDIR} && \
../gcc-5.3.0/configure \
--build=mingw32 \
--enable-checking=release \
--enable-threads=posix \
--enable-interwork \
--enable-languages=c,ada,c++,lto,objc,fortran,obj-c++ \
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
--enable-graphite \
--enable-targets=i686-pc-mingw32 \
--enable-lto \
--enable-libatomic \
--enable-libgomp \
--enable-libstdcxx-threads \
--enable-libstdcxx-time=yes \
--enable-fully-dynamic-string \
--enable-interpreter \
--enable-hash-synchronization \
--enable-sjlj-exceptions \
--disable-shared \
--disable-libstdcxx-pch \
--disable-libstdcxx-debug \
--disable-libvtv \
--disable-multilib \
--disable-rpath \
--disable-debug \
--disable-symvers \
--disable-werror \
--disable-werror-allways \
--disable-win32-registry \
--disable-canonical-system-headers \
--prefix=${REALPATH} \
--with-arch=i686 \
--with-local-prefix=${REALPATH} \
--with-libiconv-prefix=${REALPATH} \
--with-libiconv \
--with-system-zlib \
--without-newlib \
--without-dwarf2 \
--with-tune=generic \
--with-{gmp,mpfr,mpc,isl}=${REALPATH} \
--libexecdir=${REALPATH}/lib \
--with-gxx-include-dir=${REALPATH}/include/c++/5.2.0 \
--with-native-system-header-dir=${REALPATH}/mingw32/include \
--with-gnu-as \
--with-gnu-ld \
--verbose &&
make && \
make DESTDIR=${INSTDIR} install && \
make DESTDIR=${INSTDIR} install-html && \
cd ..

for the dwarf2 version change --enable-sjlj-exceptions to
--disable-sjlj-exceptions and --without-dwarf2 to --with-dwarf2.

the patchset used
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdm-gcc/files/Sources/TDM%20Sources/

omit the libgcceh.patch as that one is rather hackish, and if you dont
want it you can also omit the eh_shmem.patch.

The rest are needed though as they work around a few quirks in the gcc 5
series.

First test seems to work but ill let it bootstrap itself over night.


On 16-01-2016 16:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 16:15:14 +0100
>>
>> It required some patching but im having a build of gcc-5.3.0 cooking
>> now. Should be done later today.
> Thanks.  Would it be possible for you to publish the patch you used,
> and perhaps also the configuration options?
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
> APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
> Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
> Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
> _______________________________________________
> MinGW-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
> This list observes the Etiquette found at
> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.
>
> _______________________________________________
> You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
> Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Ralph Engels
In reply to this post by Eli Zaretskii
A few more patches you can omit as they are TDM specific.

defstatic.patch
dw2.patch
libs64.patch
make-rel-pref.patch
relocate.patch
threads.patch

a few of the others are also not strictly nessesary but nice to have if
you work with ada.

On 16-01-2016 16:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 16:15:14 +0100
>>
>> It required some patching but im having a build of gcc-5.3.0 cooking
>> now. Should be done later today.
> Thanks.  Would it be possible for you to publish the patch you used,
> and perhaps also the configuration options?
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
> APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
> Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
> Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
> _______________________________________________
> MinGW-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
> This list observes the Etiquette found at
> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.
>
> _______________________________________________
> You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
> Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on mingw

Eli Zaretskii
In reply to this post by Ralph Engels
> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 00:07:48 +0100
>
> Aye, heres my build script.

Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on MinGW

Keith Marshall-3
In reply to this post by Ralph Engels
On 16/01/16 23:07, ralph engels wrote:
> cd ${BUILDDIR} && \
> ../gcc-5.3.0/configure \
> --build=mingw32 \
> --enable-checking=release \
> --enable-threads=posix \

This means that we need a working posix threads library.  In the past,
we've always used pthreads-win32, but I'm not sure how well that is
maintained, now, and my recent attempts to build it have run into test
suite failures ... even hang-ups.

> --enable-interwork \
> --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,lto,objc,fortran,obj-c++ \
> --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
> --enable-graphite \
> --enable-targets=i686-pc-mingw32 \
> --enable-lto \
> --enable-libatomic \
> --enable-libgomp \

Yet another posix threads dependency, which is why, given the test suite
failures, my experimental GCC-4.9.3 offering doesn't include support for
OpenMP.

> --enable-libstdcxx-threads \
> --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes \
> --enable-fully-dynamic-string \
> --enable-interpreter \
> --enable-hash-synchronization \
> --enable-sjlj-exceptions \

This one is diametrically opposed to the configuration which MinGW.org
has adopted since Danny Smith first released a GCC-4.x build; (yes, I
know you made a follow-up comment ... see below).

> --disable-shared \
> --disable-libstdcxx-pch \

Why would you NOT want precompiled headers?

> --disable-libstdcxx-debug \
> --disable-libvtv \
> --disable-multilib \
> --disable-rpath \
> --disable-debug \
> --disable-symvers \
> --disable-werror \
> --disable-werror-allways \

Is this a typo?

> --disable-win32-registry \
> --disable-canonical-system-headers \
> --prefix=${REALPATH} \
> --with-arch=i686 \
> --with-local-prefix=${REALPATH} \
> --with-libiconv-prefix=${REALPATH} \
> --with-libiconv \
> --with-system-zlib \
> --without-newlib \
> --without-dwarf2 \
> --with-tune=generic \
> --with-{gmp,mpfr,mpc,isl}=${REALPATH} \
> --libexecdir=${REALPATH}/lib \
> --with-gxx-include-dir=${REALPATH}/include/c++/5.2.0 \
Why is this pointing into the GCC-5.2.0 installation tree, when you are
building GCC-5.3?

> --with-native-system-header-dir=${REALPATH}/mingw32/include \
> --with-gnu-as \
> --with-gnu-ld \
> --verbose &&

Yikes!  Do you REALLY need all of those?  If so, WHY?

> for the dwarf2 version change --enable-sjlj-exceptions to
> --disable-sjlj-exceptions and --without-dwarf2 to --with-dwarf2.

Have you verified that the patches you've suggested will actually make
this configuration work?  It was precisely this change, (to configuring
with '... --with-dwarf2 --disable-sjlj-exceptions ...'), which fell foul
of the GCC-5.x regression, so breaking my attempt to build 5.2,
(specifically in the libgcc build phase).

I'm not saying that we must religiously stick with '--disable-sjlj...',
but I'd really like to understand why Danny rejected that choice from
the outset, when he moved on to GCC-4.x; I guess he isn't monitoring
this list any more, to offer a comment?

--
Regards,
Keith.

Public key available from keys.gnupg.net
Key fingerprint: C19E C018 1547 DE50 E1D4 8F53 C0AD 36C6 347E 5A3F


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on MinGW

Ralph Engels
Pch was just turned off in the first build as i been having some trouble with it and wanted to avoid build failures,
feel free to modify my buildscript as you see fit, the script is just one i use personally and was adopted from the msys2 toolchain.

Not sure why you are having trouble with the winpthread library locking up ?, do you use an older verson of it.
I use a version a little newer than the one linked to at the TDM site and link to it statically, the latest one from git does not work with the TDM patches though.

I do use TDM's patchset for winpthreads because it allows me to to use openmp without depending on the pthread library,

as well as the c++11 extentions. I agree it sucks majorly to depend on yet another library but unfortunatly no work has gone into these extentions supporting win32 threads natively (maybe something to take up with the gcc maintainers ?).

--with-gxx-include-dir=${REALPATH}/include/c++/5.2.0 \

thats an oversight, i forgot to change it from a previous build, 
it should be 5.3.0 thanks for pointing it out.
the script can probably be cooked down a bit, its allmost a 1/1 copy of the msys2 build script for mingw64,
but yeah it seems a bit excessive.

P.s the --disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-dwarf2 option works here as i just built both sjlj and dw2 versions,
there was a bug if i recall in a previous gcc-5 that had the behaviour you mentioned but it seems to be fixed in 5.3.0.



On 17-01-2016 11:45, Keith Marshall wrote:
On 16/01/16 23:07, ralph engels wrote:
cd ${BUILDDIR} && \
../gcc-5.3.0/configure \
--build=mingw32 \
--enable-checking=release \
--enable-threads=posix \
This means that we need a working posix threads library.  In the past,
we've always used pthreads-win32, but I'm not sure how well that is
maintained, now, and my recent attempts to build it have run into test
suite failures ... even hang-ups.

--enable-interwork \
--enable-languages=c,ada,c++,lto,objc,fortran,obj-c++ \
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
--enable-graphite \
--enable-targets=i686-pc-mingw32 \
--enable-lto \
--enable-libatomic \
--enable-libgomp \
Yet another posix threads dependency, which is why, given the test suite
failures, my experimental GCC-4.9.3 offering doesn't include support for
OpenMP.

--enable-libstdcxx-threads \
--enable-libstdcxx-time=yes \
--enable-fully-dynamic-string \
--enable-interpreter \
--enable-hash-synchronization \
--enable-sjlj-exceptions \
This one is diametrically opposed to the configuration which MinGW.org
has adopted since Danny Smith first released a GCC-4.x build; (yes, I
know you made a follow-up comment ... see below).

--disable-shared \
--disable-libstdcxx-pch \
Why would you NOT want precompiled headers?

--disable-libstdcxx-debug \
--disable-libvtv \
--disable-multilib \
--disable-rpath \
--disable-debug \
--disable-symvers \
--disable-werror \
--disable-werror-allways \
Is this a typo?

--disable-win32-registry \
--disable-canonical-system-headers \
--prefix=${REALPATH} \
--with-arch=i686 \
--with-local-prefix=${REALPATH} \
--with-libiconv-prefix=${REALPATH} \
--with-libiconv \
--with-system-zlib \
--without-newlib \
--without-dwarf2 \
--with-tune=generic \
--with-{gmp,mpfr,mpc,isl}=${REALPATH} \
--libexecdir=${REALPATH}/lib \
--with-gxx-include-dir=${REALPATH}/include/c++/5.2.0 \
Why is this pointing into the GCC-5.2.0 installation tree, when you are
building GCC-5.3?

--with-native-system-header-dir=${REALPATH}/mingw32/include \
--with-gnu-as \
--with-gnu-ld \
--verbose &&
Yikes!  Do you REALLY need all of those?  If so, WHY?

for the dwarf2 version change --enable-sjlj-exceptions to 
--disable-sjlj-exceptions and --without-dwarf2 to --with-dwarf2.
Have you verified that the patches you've suggested will actually make
this configuration work?  It was precisely this change, (to configuring
with '... --with-dwarf2 --disable-sjlj-exceptions ...'), which fell foul
of the GCC-5.x regression, so breaking my attempt to build 5.2,
(specifically in the libgcc build phase).

I'm not saying that we must religiously stick with '--disable-sjlj...',
but I'd really like to understand why Danny rejected that choice from
the outset, when he moved on to GCC-4.x; I guess he isn't monitoring
this list any more, to offer a comment?



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140


_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: [hidden email]


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GCC 5.3 on MinGW

Ralph Engels
In reply to this post by Keith Marshall-3
Ok pthreads-win32 does not work, same goes strangely enough for the
latest w32api from the mingw site which breaks ada build. The version of
winpthreads i use does work though so atleast we have that.

I been building python-2.7.11 and dependencies with the new build and it
works so i can report success on that front :). Ill collect the patches
i used for gcc and upload them for review. IF you wish i can upload the
winpthread source i use as well.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
12