GCC-6 and beyond

MinGW - User mailing list

Re: GCC-6.3 now available via mingw-get (was: GCC-6 and beyond)

MinGW - User mailing list

On 17/07/17 12:58, Keith Marshall via MinGW-users wrote:
> Some of you may have already noticed that GCC-6.3 packages have been
> available, in our FRS, for some weeks now.  I'd now like to integrate
> these into the mingw-get delivery system,

This is now completed, and published; please see below, for guidance on
the (somewhat unconventional) upgrade procedure.

> before I move on to looking at GCC-7, but in the process, I'd also
> like to (finally) eliminate the legacy of the degenerately broken
> package structure, which was introduced for GCC-4.8.1, (and has not
> been reproduced thereafter).

I've laid some groundwork, towards this objective; to do a thorough job
may require modifications within mingw-get itself.

> So, do any of you still have MinGW.org's GCC-4.8.1 installed?  If so,
> are you willing to accept a procedural instruction to remove its "dev"
> component packages, before upgrading (or rolling back) to any other
> version?  Or otherwise, are you willing to accept, and deal with the
> swathe of "conflict" error diagnostics which mingw-get will emit, if I
> don't engage in the aforementioned XML gymnastics?

Given the lack of response, I'm assuming that you either don't care, or
you don't expect to be affected.  I've tried to keep the likely  fallout
as painless as possible, if you use the GUI interface to mingw-get, and
you follow this upgrade procedure:

1) Update the catalogue, (via the "Installation" menu).

2) Navigate to the

     MinGW
       MinGW Base System
         MinGW Compiler Suite
           GCC Upgrade Blockers

   package category, (in the left hand pane).

3) If any packages, in this category, are marked as "installed", (or
   "installed/upgradeable"), select each one, mark for removal, and
   apply the changes, (again, via the "Installation" menu).

4) Backtrack up the navigation tree, to the "MinGW Compiler Suite",
   (or to "All Packages", if you prefer), select any packages you wish,
   and mark them for upgrade, or installation, as appropriate, (or use
   the "Mark All Upgrades" option, from the "Installation" menu, for a
   blanket upgrade of all previously installed packages), then apply
   the changes once more.

5) Repeat step (2), to revisit the "GCC Upgrade Blockers" category; if
   any packages there show up as "installed" again, (there should be a
   few), then repeat step (3) to remove them again; (they serve only to
   resolve dependencies during installation/upgrade, but will be in the
   way of future upgrades; I plan to modify mingw-get, to remove them
   automatically, following installation/upgrade processing, but for
   the time being we must rely on manual removal).

Re: GCC-6.3 now available via mingw-get (was: GCC-6 and beyond)

David Gressett-6
on Monday, July 24, 2017 7:12 AM  Keith Marshall wrote:
... snip ..
>> So, do any of you still have MinGW.org's GCC-4.8.1 installed?

... snip ...

Given the lack of response, I'm assuming that you either don't care ...

For me, 4.8.1 is long gone. I'm working on getting 6.4 and 7.1 going.

Re: GCC-6.3 now available via mingw-get

MinGW - User mailing list

Re: GCC-6.3 now available via mingw-get (was: GCC-6 and beyond)

Jannick
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:12:28 +0100, Keith Marshall via MinGW-users wrote:

> Given the lack of response, I'm assuming that you either don't care, or
you
> don't expect to be affected.  I've tried to keep the likely  fallout as
painless as
> possible, if you use the GUI interface to mingw-get, and you follow this
> upgrade procedure:

Thanks - this is helpful. Was just upgrading the MinGW32 suite to GCC6.

> 1) Update the catalogue, (via the "Installation" menu).

[snip]

> 5) Repeat step (2), to revisit the "GCC Upgrade Blockers" category; if
>    any packages there show up as "installed" again, (there should be a
>    few), then repeat step (3) to remove them again; (they serve only to
>    resolve dependencies during installation/upgrade, but will be in the
>    way of future upgrades; I plan to modify mingw-get, to remove them
>    automatically, following installation/upgrade processing, but for
>    the time being we must rely on manual removal).

Just as a separate note: libmingwex-0.dll appears to be a dependency to GCC6
which GCC6 complains about not to find upon compilation. The GUI interface
to mingw-get does not automatically download it by default, but a manual
installation fixes the issue.

> Regards,
> Keith.

Best,
J.

On 25/07/17 09:37, Jannick wrote:
> Just as a separate note: libmingwex-0.dll appears to be a dependency
> to GCC6 ...

You are correct[*].  It was not intended to be so, but is that so bad?
We have two choices: quickest, and easiest, would be to update the XML
catalogue, to include the dependency; alternatively, I could rebuild the
whole kit and caboodle, to eliminate the dependency, which would take
rather a longer time.

Which would you prefer?

[*]: Checking in my build directory:

$ mingw32-ldd dist/staged/libexec/gcc/mingw32/6.3.0/cc1.exe
dist/staged/libexec/gcc/mingw32/6.3.0/cc1.exe
 +- ADVAPI32.DLL
 +- KERNEL32.dll
 +- libmingwex-0.dll
 |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- ADVAPI32.DLL
 |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 +- msvcrt.dll
 +- msvcrt.dll
 +- USER32.dll
 +- libgmp-10.dll
 |   +- libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
 |   |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 |   |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- msvcrt.dll
 +- libiconv-2.dll
 |   +- kernel32.dll
 |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- msvcrt.dll
 +- libisl-15.dll
 |   +- libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
 |   |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 |   |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- libgmp-10.dll
 |       +- libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
 |       |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 |       |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |       +- KERNEL32.dll
 |       +- msvcrt.dll
 |       +- msvcrt.dll
 +- libmpc-3.dll
 |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- libgmp-10.dll
 |   |   +- libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
 |   |   |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 |   |   |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 |   |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |   +- libmpfr-4.dll
 |       +- KERNEL32.dll
 |       +- msvcrt.dll
 |       +- libgmp-10.dll
 |           +- libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
 |           |   +- KERNEL32.dll
 |           |   +- msvcrt.dll
 |           +- KERNEL32.dll
 |           +- msvcrt.dll
 |           +- msvcrt.dll
 +- libmpfr-4.dll
     +- KERNEL32.dll
     +- msvcrt.dll
     +- libgmp-10.dll
         +- libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
         |   +- KERNEL32.dll
         |   +- msvcrt.dll
         +- KERNEL32.dll
         +- msvcrt.dll
         +- msvcrt.dll

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:37:20 +0100, Keith Marshall via MinGW-users wrote:
> On 25/07/17 09:37, Jannick wrote:
> > Just as a separate note: libmingwex-0.dll appears to be a dependency
> > to GCC6 ...
>
> You are correct[*].  It was not intended to be so, but is that so bad?
> We have two choices: quickest, and easiest, would be to update the XML
> catalogue, to include the dependency; alternatively, I could rebuild the
whole
> kit and caboodle, to eliminate the dependency, which would take rather a
> longer time.
>
> Which would you prefer?

For this GCC version I would go with the easiest solution to change the XML,
of course - and given that the re-compilation sounds like more than a bunch
of lengthy work steps.

> Regards,
> Keith.

Best & thank you for all your efforts, Keith,
J.

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:34:02 +0200, Jannick wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:37:20 +0100, Keith Marshall via MinGW-users wrote:
> > On 25/07/17 09:37, Jannick wrote:
> > > Just as a separate note: libmingwex-0.dll appears to be a dependency
> > > to GCC6 ...
> >
> > You are correct[*].  It was not intended to be so, but is that so bad?
> > We have two choices: quickest, and easiest, would be to update the XML
> > catalogue, to include the dependency; alternatively, I could rebuild
> > the
> whole
> > kit and caboodle, to eliminate the dependency, which would take rather
> > a longer time.
> >
> > Which would you prefer?
>
> For this GCC version I would go with the easiest solution to change the
XML,
> of course - and given that the re-compilation sounds like more than a
bunch
> of lengthy work steps.

Just a second: Would that mean that the compiled executables will be
dependent on .dlls even if linked with '-static' - if possible? I must admit
that in the beginning I was assuming that the mentioned .dll is required at
compile time only, but not at runtime. If this was true, this would not what
I wanted to opt for. Would you be able to shed some light on this?

Thanks,
J.