Going forwards to gcc 4.9

David Gressett-5
What do we need to do to move towards a release of MinGW gcc 4.9?
Now that avys has reported a successful build of 4.9.1 and used it to
build binutils and gcc for ARM (with a few problems), gcc 4.9.1 looks
to be very close to being generally usable.

Re: Going forwards to gcc 4.9

Keith Marshall-3
Apologies for the delay in responding to this.  Unfortunately, my time
for working on MinGW has become very limited of late; this situation is
likely to persist, until around August-2015 at the earliest.

On 29/09/14 18:04, David Gressett wrote:
> What do we need to do to move towards a release of MinGW gcc 4.9?

First, we need to prepare packages for upload to SF; for preference,
these should follow the model I have used for the 4.8.2 experimental
builds, NOT the mess Earnie created for 4.8.1; (you may find my package
specs in the source tarball for the 4.8.2 build).

Once that's done, the appropriate XML files, in the mingw-dist git
repository, need to be updated and published.

Re: Going forwards to gcc 4.9

David Gressett-5

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014, Keith Marshall wrote:

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [MinGW-dvlpr] Going forwards to gcc 4.9
>
> Apologies for the delay in responding to this. Unfortunately, my time
> for working on MinGW has become very limited of late; this situation is
> likely to persist, until around August-2015 at the earliest.
>
> On 29/09/14 18:04, David Gressett wrote:
>> What do we need to do to move towards a release of MinGW gcc 4.9?
>
> First, we need to prepare packages for upload to SF; for preference,
> these should follow the model I have used for the 4.8.2 experimental
> builds, NOT the mess Earnie created for 4.8.1; (you may find my package
> specs in the source tarball for the 4.8.2 build).
>
> Once that's done, the appropriate XML files, in the mingw-dist git
> repository, need to be updated and published.

What files should I be looking for? I see a gcc-4.8.2.tar.bz2 dated
2013-12-21, but it appears to be the download from the upstream
gcc project. The gcc-4.8.2-preview directory has 16 xz-compressed
tarballs in it. I downloaded and investigated the one with the
-src.tar.xz suffix, but I saw nothing that was obviously package specs.

Re: Going forwards to gcc 4.9

Keith Marshall-3
On 03/11/14 16:35, David Gressett wrote:
>> First, we need to prepare packages for upload to SF; for preference,
>> these should follow the model I have used for the 4.8.2 experimental
>> builds, NOT the mess Earnie created for 4.8.1; (you may find my package
>> specs in the source tarball for the 4.8.2 build).
>
> What files should I be looking for? I see a gcc-4.8.2.tar.bz2 dated
> 2013-12-21, but it appears to be the download from the upstream
> gcc project.

IIRC, Cesar posted that; it isn't one of mine...

> The gcc-4.8.2-preview directory has 16 xz-compressed tarballs in it.

...but these are, and only one of them is qualified with the `-src'
identifier, indicating that it is the source tarball.

> I downloaded and investigated the one with the -src.tar.xz suffix,

That's the one; IIRC, it should be a verbatim copy of the upstream
source release, with one added `gcc-4.8.2/arch/mingw32' directory...

> but I saw nothing that was obviously package specs.

...which is where you will find `gcc-4.8.2-mingw32.pkgspec'.