Quantcast

How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Frédéric Bron
I had to reinstall MinGW and it came with gcc/g++ 4.7.0. However, I
get some issues when I use it with wxwidgets (strange seg faults)
while gcc/g++ 4.6.2 worked well before.
How can I install MinGW with gcc/g++ 4.6.2 or 4.6.3?
Regards,
Frédéric

Re: How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Keith Marshall-3
On 05/07/12 21:44, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> I had to reinstall MinGW and it came with gcc/g++ 4.7.0. However, I
> get some issues when I use it with wxwidgets (strange seg faults)
> while gcc/g++ 4.6.2 worked well before.
> How can I install MinGW with gcc/g++ 4.6.2 or 4.6.3?

Please read the release notes for mingw-get-0.5; the bullet point
"Forced installation of a specified (non-current) release" describes
this feature, (and how to use it).

BTW, it's likely that your segfaults may be the result of ABI breakage
in the GCC-4.6 --> GCC-4.7 transition; it's important to ensure that
*all* of your libraries are compiled with ABI consistent versions of the
compiler -- ideally all with the *same* version.

Re: How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Frédéric Bron
> Please read the release notes for mingw-get-0.5; the bullet point
> "Forced installation of a specified (non-current) release" describes
> this feature, (and how to use it).

thanks, it worked.

> BTW, it's likely that your segfaults may be the result of ABI breakage
> in the GCC-4.6 --> GCC-4.7 transition; it's important to ensure that
> *all* of your libraries are compiled with ABI consistent versions of the
> compiler -- ideally all with the *same* version.

when I cross compile from linux, I use the same compiler for all my
libs (boost, wxwidgets) and my programs and the program crashes in
release mode, not in debug mode (not easy to debug!).
I switched back to 4.6.2. Then I can cross compile the libraries from
linux and compile the program in windows with codeblocks and mingw and
every thing is fine. The same procedure with 4.7 does not work.

Thanks again for your help,

Cheers,

Frédéric

> --
> Regards,
> Keith.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Frédéric Bron

Frédéric Bron ([hidden email])
Villa des Quatre Chemins, Centre Hospitalier, BP 208
38506 VOIRON CEDEX
tél. : (33) 4 76 67 17 27

Re: How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Zouzou-2
On 06/07/12 4:31, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> when I cross compile from linux, I use the same compiler for all my
> libs (boost, wxwidgets) and my programs and the program crashes in
> release mode, not in debug mode (not easy to debug!).
> I switched back to 4.6.2. Then I can cross compile the libraries from
> linux and compile the program in windows with codeblocks and mingw and
> every thing is fine. The same procedure with 4.7 does not work.

i've had the exact same problem when switching from GCC 4.6 to 4.7;
traced it to a new optimization behavior, that i disabled by adding the
-fno-ipa-cp-clone flag when compiling.

Zouzou

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Frédéric Bron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I had to reinstall MinGW and it came with gcc/g++ 4.7.0. However, I
> get some issues when I use it with wxwidgets (strange seg faults)
> while gcc/g++ 4.6.2 worked well before.

You'll need to rebuild wxwidgets library with gcc/g++ 4.7.0.  There
are ABI breakages for both C and C++.

> How can I install MinGW with gcc/g++ 4.6.2 or 4.6.3?

I don't remember the syntax exactly but it is something like:

mingw-get install --reinstall gcc-4.6.3

Re: How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Edward Diener-3
On 7/5/2012 4:44 PM, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> I had to reinstall MinGW and it came with gcc/g++ 4.7.0. However, I
> get some issues when I use it with wxwidgets (strange seg faults)
> while gcc/g++ 4.6.2 worked well before.
> How can I install MinGW with gcc/g++ 4.6.2 or 4.6.3?

I always install all the MingW gcc versions separately in their own
directory and then robocopy whichever one I want to use into the general
MingW directory structure. I have always found this a lot easier and
quicker than trying to use any of the features of mingw-get.

Re: How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Frédéric Bron
> I always install all the MingW gcc versions separately in their own
> directory

How do you do that?
Frédéric

Re: How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Frédéric Bron
> i've had the exact same problem when switching from GCC 4.6 to 4.7;
> traced it to a new optimization behavior, that i disabled by adding the
> -fno-ipa-cp-clone flag when compiling.

Thanks, I will try that. That's the only clue I have. Meanwhile, I
came back to 4.6.2.
Frédéric

Re: How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Frédéric Bron
> i've had the exact same problem when switching from GCC 4.6 to 4.7;
> traced it to a new optimization behavior, that i disabled by adding the
> -fno-ipa-cp-clone flag when compiling.

It did not work for me.
I will probably wait a long time before trying again to switch 4.7...

On 7/8/2012 1:40 AM, Frédéric Bron wrote:
>> I always install all the MingW gcc versions separately in their own
>> directory
>
> How do you do that?

Go to the appropriate GCC directory from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/. Pick a
version and manually download all the appropriate .lzma files. Expand
them into the directory of your choice.

Then create batch files to robocopy the release you want to the main
MingW directory as needed.

That way you can test any version of MingW gcc you want in Boost, or
otherwise.

I find mingw-get and the GUI version still too primitive for flexible use.

LRN

On 09/07/12 08:12, LRN wrote:

> On 08.07.2012 9:40, Frédéric Bron wrote:
>>> I always install all the MingW gcc versions separately in their
>>> own directory
>>
>> How do you do that?
>
> 1) Download and install mingw-get into your MinGW directory. Configure
> it to use separate directories for MinGW and MSYS (i think it already
> does by default, but it's best to make sure), be sure to use patterns
> (%r, i think?) instead of hard-coded absolute paths.

%R is the configuration macro you want; it represents the effective root
directory of the mingw-get installation tree -- i.e. the immediate
parent of the "bin" directory in which mingw-get.exe resides -- but the
macro name is case-sensitive.

> 2) Use mingw-get to install gcc version you want, and all libraries
> and programs you need.
>
> Repeat 1) and 2), installing into different MinGW directories, but
> configuring the same MSys directory.

With all mingw-get releases to date, yes.

Note that this implies having a separate mingw-get installation
associated with each independent MinGW installation.  In a future
release, I plan to add a capability for managing multiple independent
MinGW and/or MSYS installations from a single mingw-get installation,
via "system-map" specifications in the profile.xml file, but I'm not
making any promises as to when I'll get the details worked out.

If you are using the separate installations approach, you might consider
symlink/junction sharing of the %R/var/cache directory among them all,
to avoid repeated downloads of common packages.

Re: How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Allann Jones-3
> I had to reinstall MinGW and it came with gcc/g++ 4.7.0. However, I
> get some issues when I use it with wxwidgets (strange seg faults)
> while gcc/g++ 4.6.2 worked well before.
> How can I install MinGW with gcc/g++ 4.6.2 or 4.6.3?
> Regards,
> Frédéric

I use wxWidgets from trunk and MinGW latest updates with GCC 4.7 (default installation with mingw-get) without problems, with or without debug mode.

My apps are working with GCC 4.7 without modifications.

I don't use optimizations flags, only -Wall.

Is there a possible problem on your application code?

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/07/12 08:12, LRN wrote:
> On 08.07.2012 9:40, Frédéric Bron wrote:
>>> I always install all the MingW gcc versions separately in their
>>> own directory
>>
>> How do you do that?
>
> 1) Download and install mingw-get into your MinGW directory. Configure
> it to use separate directories for MinGW and MSYS (i think it already
> does by default, but it's best to make sure), be sure to use patterns
> (%r, i think?) instead of hard-coded absolute paths.

%R is the configuration macro you want; it represents the effective root
directory of the mingw-get installation tree -- i.e. the immediate
parent of the "bin" directory in which mingw-get.exe resides -- but the
macro name is case-sensitive.

> 2) Use mingw-get to install gcc version you want, and all libraries
> and programs you need.
>
> Repeat 1) and 2), installing into different MinGW directories, but
> configuring the same MSys directory.

With all mingw-get releases to date, yes.

Note that this implies having a separate mingw-get installation
associated with each independent MinGW installation.  In a future
release, I plan to add a capability for managing multiple independent
MinGW and/or MSYS installations from a single mingw-get installation,
via "system-map" specifications in the profile.xml file, but I'm not
making any promises as to when I'll get the details worked out.

If you are using the separate installations approach, you might consider
symlink/junction sharing of the %R/var/cache directory among them all,
to avoid repeated downloads of common packages.

Re: How to install MinGW with an older compiler version (gcc/g++ 4.6.X)?

Frédéric Bron
> My apps are working with GCC 4.7 without modifications.
> I don't use optimizations flags, only -Wall.
> Is there a possible problem on your application code?

I use -O3 flag. Maybe that's causing the issue. Maybe I should try
without to see if it works.
Frédéric