Quantcast

Invalid $HOME after installing MinGW

macropanther
Hello,

MinGW, or, perhaps, more correctly, msys, thinks my home directory is /c and I don't have an msys/1.0/home directory at all..  This is, obviously, not right.

I am Administrator on a WInXP machine (VM really).
I installed (as Administrator) from mingw-get-inst-20120426.exe. During the install, I chose every option and elected to download latest packages.  Installed to c:\MinGW.

I checked my Start->Programs->Mingw->MinGW Shell properties. it is starting C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\msys.bat and the start-in directory is C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin.   Note I do not have an msys entry in my programs list.

I have determined that / is C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.

When I run  msys.bat I get a MinGW prompt.  Entering echo $HOME says /c. And there is no directory named /home. echo $USERNAME = Administrator and echo $LOGNAME = Administrator.

Can someone tell me what I did to end up with no $HOME? Do I need to make a *nix user? Or perhaps remove MinGW and create a non-admin XP user and use that user to reinstall MinGW?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Invalid $HOME after installing MinGW

Earnie Boyd
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Wesley J. Miller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> MinGW, or, perhaps, more correctly, msys, thinks my home directory is /c and
> I don't have an msys/1.0/home directory at all..  This is, obviously, not
> right.
>
> I am Administrator on a WInXP machine (VM really).
> I installed (as Administrator) from mingw-get-inst-20120426.exe. During the
> install, I chose every option and elected to download latest packages.
> Installed to c:\MinGW.
>
> I checked my Start->Programs->Mingw->MinGW Shell properties. it is starting
> C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\msys.bat and the start-in directory is
> C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin.   Note I do not have an msys entry in my programs
> list.
>
> I have determined that / is C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.
>
> When I run  msys.bat I get a MinGW prompt.  Entering echo $HOME says /c. And
> there is no directory named /home. echo $USERNAME = Administrator and echo
> $LOGNAME = Administrator.
>
> Can someone tell me what I did to end up with no $HOME? Do I need to make a
> *nix user? Or perhaps remove MinGW and create a non-admin XP user and use
> that user to reinstall MinGW?

Unless HOME is set in your Windows environment when you first started
MSYS it should have created a /home/$USERNAME directory and set HOME
to it.  If HOME is an environment variable during the startup of MSYS
then that value is used.

Re: Invalid $HOME after installing MinGW

macropanther
Turns out that I had just figured that out after readinga few dozen related posts.  And, yes, I do have a %HOME% variable set to c:\.  I think I did that years ago in an attempt to be lazy when typing long pathnames.  You know, %HOME% is so much shorter thatn "C:\".  <grin>.

Thanks for the help!

Wes

Re:[pSOLVED] Invalid $HOME after installing MinGW

macropanther
I reran my downloaded mingw-get-inst-20120426.exe after deleting the Windows HOME environment variable.  The install was on top of the one that was already there.  Worked like a champ.

Now, on to compiling gstreamer.  Only 19,383,556 headaches to go!

Thanks,

Wes

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM, macropanther wrote:
> I reran my downloaded mingw-get-inst-20120426.exe after deleting the Windows
> HOME environment variable.  The install was on top of the one that was
> already there.  Worked like a champ.

All you had to do was remove the %HOME% variable and restart MSYS.
You didn't need to attempt to reinstall it.  Also you should consider
mingw-get-inst-*.exe a one time use only application.  You should use
mingw-get directly to update your system.