MSYS 1.0.12 and 1.0.13 core bin packages contain almost no executables!?

MSYS 1.0.12 and 1.0.13 core bin packages contain almost no executables!?

trautbrg

Greetings,

I am a happy MSYS user. We need to migrate to Windows 7. Since I run into some
obscure problems with MSYS 1.0.11 running on Windows 7, I checked, wether newer
versions of MSYS are available. On Sourceforge I found MSYS 1.0.12 and 1.0.13.
After some pain with the .lzma archives (I would not mind staying with the .tgz or .tar.gz archives)
I managed to unpack the content of  msysCORE-1.0.12-1-msys-1.0.12-bin.tar.lzma and
msysCORE-1.0.12-1-msys-1.0.13-bin.tar.lzma respectively.

After unpacking these files and trying to start MSYS via msys.bat, I realized msys would not
start as there is no rxvt.exe and no sh.exe in the MSYS bin directory.

Is it intentional, that these (and many other) executables are not  part of the MSYS 1.0.12 and
1.0.13 archives? Or are we not supposed to use these archives?

Any insight greatly appreciated!

regards

 Wolfgang

P.S.: The Windows 7 problem I am experiencing is:

         we start the msys sh from within an executable
         the sh executes a script
         the output of stdout and stderr of that script are redirected via tee to both the screen and a file
         ---
         executable.exe
            CreateProcess(.. , "c:/msys/bin/sh.exe -c my-script.sh   ,  ...)       // creates a process that is executed in console; the process executes the msys sh.exe
         ----

         my-script.sh
            my-exe.exe 2>&1 | tee -a ./mylogfile.log
         ---

         When executing this, it works all right on Win2K through Vista, but crashes (brings up console Manager) on Windows 7

Re: MSYS 1.0.12 and 1.0.13 core bin packages contain almost no executables!?

Charles Wilson-8
Trautenberg, Wolfgang wrote:
> After some pain with the .lzma archives (I would not mind staying with
> the .tgz or .tar.gz archives)
> I managed to unpack the content of
> msysCORE-1.0.12-1-msys-1.0.12-bin.tar.lzma and
> msysCORE-1.0.12-1-msys-1.0.13-bin.tar.lzma respectively.

We should relatively soon have an installer than can do this for you.
But for now, we provide the 'bsdtar' tool for unpacking them:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/bsdtar-2.7.900a_r1628-20091110-mingw32-alpha-bin.zip

> After unpacking these files and trying to start MSYS via msys.bat, I
> realized msys would not
> start as there is no rxvt.exe and no sh.exe in the MSYS bin directory.
>
> Is it intentional, that these (and many other) executables are not  part
> of the MSYS 1.0.12 and
> 1.0.13 archives? Or are we not supposed to use these archives?

It is deliberate. We have split the mingw and msys "giant" installation
packages into dozens of smaller components, so that each may be
individually updated more rapidly than once every three years.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to know which of these new smaller
packages you need to recreate the old "giant" installation.  The current
situation is obviously subpar; we'll try to improve it shortly.

--
Chuck