MSYS dejagnu, tcl, and expect

Edward Diener-3
According to LLVM, dejagnu, tcl, and expect are needed for running test
suites for LLVM. Are these packages available for MSYS ( or MingW ) ?

Re: MSYS dejagnu, tcl, and expect

Charles Wilson-8
On 6/27/2011 12:42 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
> According to LLVM, dejagnu, tcl, and expect are needed for running test
> suites for LLVM. Are these packages available for MSYS ( or MingW ) ?

Not yet; there is a really ancient version of tk/tcl available, and LRN
recently posted to the mingw-dvlpr list a newer version of tk/tcl.  But
there is no official port of expect or dejagnu IIRC.

I think most folks uses the "cygwin" versions of these tools, coupled
with a mingw "identity mount".  Google "identity mount" plus mingw for
more info.

--
Chuck

On 6/28/2011 1:25 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:

> On 6/27/2011 12:42 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> According to LLVM, dejagnu, tcl, and expect are needed for running test
>> suites for LLVM. Are these packages available for MSYS ( or MingW ) ?
>
> Not yet; there is a really ancient version of tk/tcl available, and LRN
> recently posted to the mingw-dvlpr list a newer version of tk/tcl.  But
> there is no official port of expect or dejagnu IIRC.
>
> I think most folks uses the "cygwin" versions of these tools, coupled
> with a mingw "identity mount".  Google "identity mount" plus mingw for
> more info.

I was able to install cygwin with these tools. Googling "identity mount"
and mingw did not give me much. I think you are telling me that I need
to set an MSYS mount in /etc/fstab such that the cygwin path becomes an
MSYS path, but I am not sure.

The MSYS README.rtf specifically tells me that:

'Using binaries with different runtimes:
You can't use Cygwin binaries at all and if you try you'll most likely
just cause the processes to "hang".'

Is this true and are you perhaps telling me that I must use cygwin to
use these tools, and there is indeed no way to use the cygwin versions
when in MSYS ? Or is there indeed a way to use the cygwin versions of
dejagnu and expect ( I found a mingw version of tcl ) under MSYS ?

Re: MSYS dejagnu, tcl, and expect

Cesar Strauss-2
On 3/7/2011 14:00, Edward Diener wrote:
> I was able to install cygwin with these tools. Googling "identity mount"
> and mingw did not give me much. I think you are telling me that I need
> to set an MSYS mount in /etc/fstab such that the cygwin path becomes an
> MSYS path, but I am not sure.

Suppose you build your software on a directory below c:\work.
Ordinarily, MSYS sees this as /c/work and Cygwin sees it as
/cygdrive/c/work. MSYS does translate /c/work to c:\work when invoking
native Windows applications, so things are mostly transparent. Cygwin
does no such translation, so native Windows applications fail when a
path under /cygdrive/c/work is passed on their command line (there is no
such path as c:/cygdrive/c/work).

Since you need to use the Cygwin version of dejagnu, you should arrange
things so that the absence of path translation does no harm. This is
done by mounting c:\work into /work on both MSYS and Cygwin, and relying
on the Windows behavior of treating /work as c:\work when the current
drive is c: . This is the so-called "identity mount".

> Is this true and are you perhaps telling me that I must use cygwin to
> use these tools, and there is indeed no way to use the cygwin versions
> when in MSYS ? Or is there indeed a way to use the cygwin versions of
> dejagnu and expect ( I found a mingw version of tcl ) under MSYS ?

Do not mix MSYS and Cygwin tools, it doesn't work very well in practice.

Instead, after building your software using MSYS as usual, switch over
to Cygwin and run "make check" from a Cygwin prompt. If your application
is linked against the GCC run-time DLLs found in  c:\mingw\bin, you
should add /cygdrive/c/mingw/bin to the Cygwin PATH.

If there are Windows absolute paths like c:\work in the makefile, the
Cygwin version of make will choke. In that case, you can try using
"mingw32-make check" instead.

Regards,

Cesar

On 7/3/2011 7:57 PM, Cesar Strauss wrote:

> On 3/7/2011 14:00, Edward Diener wrote:
>> I was able to install cygwin with these tools. Googling "identity mount"
>> and mingw did not give me much. I think you are telling me that I need
>> to set an MSYS mount in /etc/fstab such that the cygwin path becomes an
>> MSYS path, but I am not sure.
>
> Suppose you build your software on a directory below c:\work.
> Ordinarily, MSYS sees this as /c/work and Cygwin sees it as
> /cygdrive/c/work. MSYS does translate /c/work to c:\work when invoking
> native Windows applications, so things are mostly transparent. Cygwin
> does no such translation, so native Windows applications fail when a
> path under /cygdrive/c/work is passed on their command line (there is no
> such path as c:/cygdrive/c/work).
>
> Since you need to use the Cygwin version of dejagnu, you should arrange
> things so that the absence of path translation does no harm. This is
> done by mounting c:\work into /work on both MSYS and Cygwin, and relying
> on the Windows behavior of treating /work as c:\work when the current
> drive is c: . This is the so-called "identity mount".

I only want to use MSYS to build what I need, but I need to have MSYS
use the cygwin version of 'dejagnu' and 'expect' for testing purposes. I
could care less about manipulating cygwin. Can MSYS use these versions
which are loaded into the cygwin tree ? If so, how do I do this. If not
I can not use MSYS for testing but I can for building.

On 3/7/2011 21:31, Edward Diener wrote:
> I only want to use MSYS to build what I need, but I need to have MSYS
> use the cygwin version of 'dejagnu' and 'expect' for testing purposes. I
> could care less about manipulating cygwin.

> Can MSYS use these versions which are loaded into the cygwin tree ?

You can always try. For running the GCC testsuite (also dejagnu based),
I couldn't make it to work.

> If not I can not use MSYS for testing but I can for building.

Indeed. I build GCC under MSYS, but to run the testsuite I switch to
Cygwin. For this to work, I use the identity mount and add MinGW to the
Cygwin PATH.

Regards,

Cesar

On 7/3/2011 8:52 PM, Cesar Strauss wrote:

> On 3/7/2011 21:31, Edward Diener wrote:
>> I only want to use MSYS to build what I need, but I need to have MSYS
>> use the cygwin version of 'dejagnu' and 'expect' for testing purposes. I
>> could care less about manipulating cygwin.
>
>> Can MSYS use these versions which are loaded into the cygwin tree ?
>
> You can always try. For running the GCC testsuite (also dejagnu based),
> I couldn't make it to work.
>
>> If not I can not use MSYS for testing but I can for building.
>
> Indeed. I build GCC under MSYS, but to run the testsuite I switch to
> Cygwin. For this to work, I use the identity mount and add MinGW to the
> Cygwin PATH.

OK, thanks. It would be nice if there were a MingW version of 'dejagnu'
and 'expect'. I will try building them from source from within MSYS, and
see if it is possible.

Re: MSYS dejagnu, tcl, and expect

Teemu Nätkinniemi
>> Indeed. I build GCC under MSYS, but to run the testsuite I switch to
>> Cygwin. For this to work, I use the identity mount and add MinGW to the
>> Cygwin PATH.
>
> OK, thanks. It would be nice if there were a MingW version of 'dejagnu'
> and 'expect'. I will try building them from source from within MSYS, and
> see if it is possible.

I've ported a somewhat working version of Dejagnu to Msys and it does
seem to work. I haven't tested it with MinGW. You can download sources
and binaries from:

http://teemun.x10.mx/tcl-msys

On 7/4/2011 4:46 AM, Teemu Nätkinniemi wrote:

>>> Indeed. I build GCC under MSYS, but to run the testsuite I switch to
>>> Cygwin. For this to work, I use the identity mount and add MinGW to the
>>> Cygwin PATH.
>>
>> OK, thanks. It would be nice if there were a MingW version of 'dejagnu'
>> and 'expect'. I will try building them from source from within MSYS, and
>> see if it is possible.
>
> I've ported a somewhat working version of Dejagnu to Msys and it does
> seem to work. I haven't tested it with MinGW. You can download sources
> and binaries from:
>
> http://teemun.x10.mx/tcl-msys

Thanks ! I will try it out.