MSys with rxvt

Edward Diener-3
What is rxvt and what is the difference between the Msys icon and the
Msys icon with rxvt ?

Re: MSys with rxvt

Greg Chicares-2
On 2011-01-04 21:21Z, Edward Diener wrote:
> What is rxvt

A terminal emulator.

> and what is the difference between the Msys icon and the
> Msys icon with rxvt ?

The general advice is not to use rxvt. It's unmaintained,
so its shortcomings won't be fixed. If you want a terminal
emulator, consider mintty, which is actively maintained.

Re: MSys with rxvt

William Razgunas
Date: 1/4/2011 5:13:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] MSys with rxvt

On 2011-01-04 21:21Z, Edward Diener wrote:
> What is rxvt

A terminal emulator.

> and what is the difference between the Msys icon and the
> Msys icon with rxvt ?

The general advice is not to use rxvt. It's unmaintained,
so its shortcomings won't be fixed. If you want a terminal
emulator, consider mintty, which is actively maintained.

So why is rxvt in the msys package if its unmaintained?

grad.gif (1K) Download Attachment

Re: MSys with rxvt

Charles Wilson-8
On 1/4/2011 5:23 PM, Whitequilll Riclo wrote:
> From: Greg Chicares
>> The general advice is not to use rxvt. It's unmaintained,
>> so its shortcomings won't be fixed. If you want a terminal
>> emulator, consider mintty, which is actively maintained.
>
> So why is rxvt in the msys package if its unmaintained?

Well, the MinGW/MSYS *package* of rxvt is maintained -- by me. But
upstream, the "rxvt" people, dropped off the planet.  So, MinGW/MSYS
rxvt is, in one sense, "maintained" enough to keep it in the distro
since many people are used to it and continue to use it. But, in another
sense, it's unmaintained and is a dead-end tool, and we recommend that
new users NOT pick up a bad habit -- and old users kick the habit as
soon as they can.

mintty is much better anyway.

Consider the msys-rxvt package "deprecated" rather than "unmaintained"
if that makes more sense to you.

--
Chuck