Major problems installing MSys

Dietfrid Mali
I am having major problems with installing MSys.

I am trying to use a automake/autogen based project from Linux.

I have installed mingw, msys and the msys developer package.

When trying to run aclocal, I have run into numerous errors.

"Can't locate Automake/Config.pm"

"autom4ate: unknown language: Autoconf-without-aclocal-m4"

I resolved this by installed automake 1.10. A hurdle was that it is absolutely unclear where this stuff has to go. It took me a while to figure that I should probably extract it to /usr/share. Using /usr/local/share did not work.

"Can't locate Autom4te/General.pm"

Resolved this by installing autoconf 2.61.

"String found where operator expected at /bin/autom4te line 280, near "error "GNU m4 1.4 or later: $m4"

Resolved: Now autoconf stuff has to go to /usr/local/share and not just /usr/share. How funny.

Btw, trying to installing it using the mingwPORT stuff failed due to numerous errors.

"Can't locate object method "path" via package "Request" (perhaps you forgot to load "Request"?) at /usr/local/share/autoconf/Autom4te/C4che.pm line 69, <GEN1> line 111"

WTF?

At this point I have given up.

I know that this project is maintained by volunteers but yet I have to say that for me this looks like the biggest messy pile of software I have ever seen in my life. I have no clue how to get this to work so that I could run aclocal, autoheader, automake and configure on scripts that work flawlessly on Linux. Installation is a horror - you neither know what exactly you need, nor where to put it.

Unfortunately I have to use this stuff, so please help me to get this going.

Windows Live Hotmail! Jetzt kostenlos wechseln! Top-Junk Mail Schutz für Ihr Postfach!

Re: Major problems installing MSys

Keith Marshall-3
On Tuesday 29 January 2008 15:13, Dietfrid Mali wrote:
> I know that this project is maintained by volunteers but yet I have
> to say that for me this looks like the biggest messy pile of software
> I have ever seen in my life.

And I have to say that this must be the most insolent plea for help that
I have ever seen in *my* life!

> I have no clue how to get this to work
> so that I could run aclocal, autoheader, automake and configure on
> scripts that work flawlessly on Linux. Installation is a horror - you
> neither know what exactly you need, nor where to put it.

All I will say is that I have installed *all* of the stuff you are
whingeing about, without encountering the slightest problem, simply by
following the instructions at:
http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/GettingStarted

and cheerfully accepting the defaults for everything; it all works fine
for me.  Perhaps you should direct your vitriolic criticism somewhere
closer to home.

> Unfortunately I have to use this stuff, so please help me to get this
> going.

Are you kidding?  Do you seriously expect the voluntary maintainers of
any software, especially that which you have acquired at zero cost, to
respond sympathetically, when you insult them so wilfully?  And, please
DO NOT post multipart MIME messages; use plain text ONLY, and set word
wrap at 72 columns or less.

Re: Major problems installing MSys

Johannes Schindelin
Hi Keith,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Keith Marshall wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 January 2008 15:13, Dietfrid Mali wrote:
> > I know that this project is maintained by volunteers but yet I have to
> > say that for me this looks like the biggest messy pile of software I
> > have ever seen in my life.
>
> And I have to say that this must be the most insolent plea for help that
> I have ever seen in *my* life!

Must be like that when some people complain to Mensa that their entry quiz
is too hard ;-)

Ciao,
Dscho

Re: Major problems installing MSys

Dietfrid Mali

I cannot see where I have insulted anyone here. I have simply stated my point of view on the state of the hardware here.Apparently you were looking for an occasion for being insulted.I'd say the remark coming closest to a personal insult Johannes Schindelin who apparently is quite an arrogant prick.Looks like you guys just can't take being told that what you do isn't quite up to par, and also are two absolutely graceless persons or you would have understood the amount of frustration behind my posting. Fuck yourselves.> Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:24:09 +0000> From: [hidden email]> To: [hidden email]> CC: [hidden email]> Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] Major problems installing MSys> > Hi Keith,> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Keith Marshall wrote:> > > On Tuesday 29 January 2008 15:13, Dietfrid Mali wrote:> > > I know that this project is maintained by volunteers but yet I have to > > > say that for me this looks like the biggest messy pile of software I > > > have ever seen in my life.> > > > And I have to say that this must be the most insolent plea for help that > > I have ever seen in *my* life!> > Must be like that when some people complain to Mensa that their entry quiz > is too hard ;-)> > Ciao,> Dscho> > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft> Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2008.> http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/> _______________________________________________> Mingw-msys mailing list> [hidden email]> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-msys

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Dietfrid Mali wrote:

> I cannot see where I have insulted anyone here. I have simply stated my
> point of view on the state of the hardware here.Apparently you were
> looking for an occasion for being insulted.I'd say the remark coming
> closest to a personal insult Johannes Schindelin who apparently is quite
> an arrogant prick.

Yes, I am an arrogant prick, alright.

Just like anybody who could say something like "your software is not good.
Your work that you invested quite some time into is crap.  Help me!" and
not see the dichotomy.

I take it you heard something of the golden rule, or the cathegorical
imperative?  You should have applied that, and people would have jumped to
your help.

In other words, it does not help to _piss off_ the people you ask for
help.

Hth,
Dscho

Re: Major problems installing MSys

KHMan
Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Dietfrid Mali wrote:
>
>> I cannot see where I have insulted anyone here. I have simply stated my
>> point of view on the state of the hardware here.Apparently you were
>> looking for an occasion for being insulted.I'd say the remark coming
>> closest to a personal insult Johannes Schindelin who apparently is quite
>> an arrogant prick.
>
> Yes, I am an arrogant prick, alright.
>
> Just like anybody who could say something like "your software is not good.
> Your work that you invested quite some time into is crap.  Help me!" and
> not see the dichotomy.
>
> I take it you heard something of the golden rule, or the cathegorical
> imperative?  You should have applied that, and people would have jumped to
> your help.
>
> In other words, it does not help to _piss off_ the people you ask for
> help.

It's pretty sad to see a second incident in less than a week. I'm
no angel myself, but, oh my, the SNR is dropping.

It looks like the less skill and knowledge there is, the bigger
the tendency to lash out and complain loudly. It betrays a
distressing lack of understanding of the problems developers face
trying to port and maintain tools on a platform that claims POSIX
compatibility with much reluctance and is rather hostile to
Unix-style portable software development. I would have been
embarrassed or sheepish at failing to solve the problem rather
than be righteously indignant.

Now nobody will help Dietfrid. We owe Dietfrid nothing. Odd, if he
is doing fine on Linux, why didn't he generate ze configure
scrippy in dat place? Or switch to Cygwin? I recommend that
Dietfrid get help from these upstanding guys:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/interopmigration/bb380242.aspx

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)

Re: Major problems installing MSys

Dietfrid Mali
Hi Keith, hi Johannes, hi Kein-Hong Man,

I have come accross this old conversation recently and I am quite upset about my part in it myself now. Of course you were right at that time and your reaction was predictable and well deserved.  I was extremely under pressure at that time, but I should have taken my frustration elsewhere. I am offering my sincere apologies for my misbehavior and hope it will be accepted.

Kind regards

D.Mali

Re:http://old.nabble.com/Major-problems-installing-MSys-tp15161578p29233304.html

On Thursday 22 July 2010 06:42:27 Dietfrid Mali wrote:
> Hi Keith, hi Johannes, hi Kein-Hong Man,
>
> I have come accross this old conversation recently and I am quite
> upset about my part in it myself now. Of course you were right at
> that time and your reaction was predictable and well deserved.  I was
> extremely under pressure at that time, but I should have taken my
> frustration elsewhere. I am offering my sincere apologies for my
> misbehavior and hope it will be accepted.

Of course.  Speaking only for myself, I have long ago forgotten the
incident; I bear you no malice.

You willingness to apologise is refreshing, and graciously accepted.  If
you require any further assistance, please feel free to ask; hopefully
we can oblige, whilst maintaining a more convivial tone.

Dietfrid Mali wrote:
> Hi Keith, hi Johannes, hi Kein-Hong Man,
> I have come accross this old conversation recently and I am quite upset
> about my part in it myself now. Of course you were right at that time and
> your reaction was predictable and well deserved.  I was extremely under
> pressure at that time, but I should have taken my frustration elsewhere. I
> am offering my sincere apologies for my misbehavior and hope it will be
> accepted.

Apologies accepted, it was never a problem at all, a rollicking
discussion here and there is no big deal. Seen tons and tons of
them and I don't remember any. :-) I'm sure others feel roughly
the same way; it's past and done, let's move on.

I have made my share of foolishness, as we all have, being human
beings (and passionate developers). A thick skin is good; a cool
head is even better. Eventually we get into the groove of specific
cultures on developers' mailing lists.

Different destinations on the Internet have different cultures,
and I think we wear different masks for different places. If we
don't, there will be a dissonance. I don't think this list is
perfect, but we can pause and remember that we can all play our
part in constructive discussion instead of destructive discussion.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)