Quantcast

MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Eli Zaretskii
I cannot compile any programs with this version of GCC on a Windows XP
SP3 machine: cc1.exe pops up an error dialog saying "The procedure
entry point strnlen could not be located in the dynamic link library
msvcrt.dll".

Does this mean MinGW no longer supports Windows XP?  I hope not.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Ralph Engels
might depend on which -march -mtune options where used compiling gcc, i
used -march=core2 -mtune=generic
and have not heard anyone having problems with those options, an earlier
version i released had -march=sandybridge since that is the cpu im using
but it broke gcc under XP as reported by devs who use my builds.

Strange that it complains about strnlen though ?!?.

Den 16-04-2016 kl. 16:12 skrev Eli Zaretskii:

> I cannot compile any programs with this version of GCC on a Windows XP
> SP3 machine: cc1.exe pops up an error dialog saying "The procedure
> entry point strnlen could not be located in the dynamic link library
> msvcrt.dll".
>
> Does this mean MinGW no longer supports Windows XP?  I hope not.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Eli Zaretskii
> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 00:10:06 +0200
>
> might depend on which -march -mtune options where used compiling gcc, i
> used -march=core2 -mtune=generic

No, I don't think this is related.  The CPU here is Core i7, so the
instruction set shouldn't be a problem.

I think the executables were linked against msvcrt.dll that came from
Vista or later, and these do have strnlen; the one that comes with XP
doesn't.

This issue was discussed during MinGW runtime development, but I guess
it wasn't resolved in a way that is reliable enough, or maybe some
other similar issue is at work.

I really hope a fixed distribution could be uploaded soon.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Ralph Engels
Mmm, i suspected as much since the problems other devs have run into
mostly had to do with SSE instructions.
So its an api bug ? i hope they get it fixed for those still using XP,
allthough win 7 is not bad :) but the later windows versions seem to
have adopted the superuser approach to a degree that it breaks using
things not built with that in mind. Havent heard from Earnie since the
race to get gcc-5.3.0 building with mingw, not sure if there are any
other package maintainers avaliable at the moment who could look into
it. Sadly i dont have XP anymore so i cant test
changes even if im willing to help.

Best wishes.

Den 17-04-2016 kl. 16:34 skrev Eli Zaretskii:

>> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 00:10:06 +0200
>>
>> might depend on which -march -mtune options where used compiling gcc, i
>> used -march=core2 -mtune=generic
> No, I don't think this is related.  The CPU here is Core i7, so the
> instruction set shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I think the executables were linked against msvcrt.dll that came from
> Vista or later, and these do have strnlen; the one that comes with XP
> doesn't.
>
> This issue was discussed during MinGW runtime development, but I guess
> it wasn't resolved in a way that is reliable enough, or maybe some
> other similar issue is at work.
>
> I really hope a fixed distribution could be uploaded soon.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Graeme Paterson
I have XP, perhaps I can help.

> Sadly i dont have XP anymore so i cant test
> changes even if im willing to help.
>
> Best wishes.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Yongwei Wu
On 16 April 2016 at 22:12, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I cannot compile any programs with this version of GCC on a Windows XP
> SP3 machine: cc1.exe pops up an error dialog saying "The procedure
> entry point strnlen could not be located in the dynamic link library
> msvcrt.dll".
>
> Does this mean MinGW no longer supports Windows XP?  I hope not.

I think we simply should not assume strnlen should be in MSVCRT.DLL.

On Windows XP:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>objdump -x msvcrt.dll|grep -i strnlen

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

On Windows 7 (64-bit):

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>objdump -x msvcrt.dll|grep -i strnlen
        [ 726] _mbstrnlen
        [ 727] _mbstrnlen_l
        [1314] strnlen

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>

So strnlen is simply not present in the MSVCRT.DLL of Windows XP.

--
Wu Yongwei

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Earnie Boyd
On 4/18/2016 12:48 AM, Yongwei Wu wrote:
> On 16 April 2016 at 22:12, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I cannot compile any programs with this version of GCC on a Windows XP
>> SP3 machine: cc1.exe pops up an error dialog saying "The procedure
>> entry point strnlen could not be located in the dynamic link library
>> msvcrt.dll".
>>
>> Does this mean MinGW no longer supports Windows XP?  I hope not.

This has been discussed before, it will eventually happen.  In this case
I believe that the issue is that the maintainer was using a more recent
Windows version to build the package; certainly something one should be
able to do.  Support for XP is becoming extinct.

> I think we simply should not assume strnlen should be in MSVCRT.DLL.
>
> On Windows XP:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>objdump -x msvcrt.dll|grep -i strnlen
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>
>
> On Windows 7 (64-bit):
>
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64>objdump -x msvcrt.dll|grep -i strnlen
>         [ 726] _mbstrnlen
>         [ 727] _mbstrnlen_l
>         [1314] strnlen
>
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64>
>
> So strnlen is simply not present in the MSVCRT.DLL of Windows XP.

We need to create our own version of strnlen for libmingw32.a so that it
will always be present if you want to continue XP support.  This will be
true for other functions that may now be in MSVCRT.DLL that are not in
the XP version.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Earnie <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:10:21 -0400
>
> On 4/18/2016 12:48 AM, Yongwei Wu wrote:
> > On 16 April 2016 at 22:12, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I cannot compile any programs with this version of GCC on a Windows XP
> >> SP3 machine: cc1.exe pops up an error dialog saying "The procedure
> >> entry point strnlen could not be located in the dynamic link library
> >> msvcrt.dll".
> >>
> >> Does this mean MinGW no longer supports Windows XP?  I hope not.
>
> This has been discussed before, it will eventually happen.  In this case
> I believe that the issue is that the maintainer was using a more recent
> Windows version to build the package

I think you are right.

> certainly something one should be able to do.  Support for XP is
> becoming extinct.

If MinGW has its own version of that function, as you suggest below,
the problem will disappear.

> We need to create our own version of strnlen for libmingw32.a so that it
> will always be present if you want to continue XP support.  This will be
> true for other functions that may now be in MSVCRT.DLL that are not in
> the XP version.

I agree.  I hope a fixed binary distribution of GCC 5 will be
available soon.

Thanks.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

> From: Earnie <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:10:21 -0400
>
> Support for XP is becoming extinct.

Btw, JFYI: the fact that mingw.org's MinGW still supports older
systems (including Windows 9X) is one of the two main reasons I stick
with MinGW and refuse to switch to MinGW64, which dumped older systems
many moons ago.  If this reason is going to be gone, the switch will
look a much more attractive alternative than it is now.

I think support for older systems (of which there are still many
millions out there) is a very strong point in favor of MinGW.  I very
much hope it will stay that way.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Apologies for joining this discussion belatedly; I've been on
vacation, away from both home and computer.

On 16/04/16 15:12, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I cannot compile any programs with this version of GCC on a Windows
> XP SP3 machine: cc1.exe pops up an error dialog saying "The
> procedure entry point strnlen could not be located in the dynamic
> link library msvcrt.dll".

Right; that's useful to know, thanks.  You may note that I haven't yet
formally announced the release of GCC-5.3.0 -- nor have I attempted
any mingw-get integration -- because I had concerns that such issues
might arise.  I definitely appreciate this sort of feedback from users
who are willing to experiment with such unannounced releases.

> Does this mean MinGW no longer supports Windows XP?  I hope not.

Not by any intent of mine; I certainly hope to be able to continue to
support legacy Windows versions, for as long as remains practicable.

On 18/04/16 19:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Earnie <[hidden email]> This has been
>> discussed before, it will eventually happen.  In this case I
>> believe that the issue is that the maintainer was using a more
>> recent Windows version to build the package
>
> I think you are right.

While that's a plausible assumption, on this occasion you're wrong; it
was I who built it, and I did so as a crossed-native build on my Linux
box, (and with _WIN32_WINNT left at its _WIN32_WINNT_WIN2K default).

The real issue here is that I used current mingw-wsl-legacy ex. git,
as my mingwrt, and that has strnlen() added to the exported symbols
list for MSVCRT.DLL, (to facilitate building Vista or later dependent
code, albeit with it's header visibility rigorously occluded when the
user has not set _WIN32_WINNT to accept the Vista or later
limitation).  Unfortunately, that addition to MSVCRT.DEF makes the
strnlen() symbol visible to GCC's configure time tests, and those
tests aggressively disregard all version specific filters within the
header files, which becomes problematic in the case of symbols such as
strnlen(), which really should not be detected for the default build cas
e.

I've already fixed one issue related to bogus detection of strnlen()
at configure time, in the build of libgfortran-5.3.0, (i.e. the
fortran support library for this very GCC release); at least _that_
build had the grace to die, when it didn't find the corresponding
function prototype at make time.  Sadly, the cc1.exe build _didn't_
exhibit any similar failure, so it went unnoticed.

>> We need to create our own version of strnlen for libmingw32.a so
>> that it will always be present if you want to continue XP
>> support.  This will be true for other functions that may now be
>> in MSVCRT.DLL that are not in the XP version.

A reference listing of all such functions may be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/mingwrt/msvcrt-x
ref/msvcrt-xref.pdf/download

I'm now using the same MSVCRT.DEF source to generate both this
document, and libmsvcrt.a; it already incorporates infrastructure to
suppress selected symbols from the latter, so the first step would be
to add strnlen() to the excluded list; we may also wish to consider
adding a corresponding __LIBIMPL__ definition to <string.h>, (although
the GCC build should be able to live without it).

> I agree.  I hope a fixed binary distribution of GCC 5 will be
> available soon.

I'll follow this up, as my time permits; thanks for the heads-up.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 18:29:41 +0100
>
> > I agree.  I hope a fixed binary distribution of GCC 5 will be
> > available soon.
>
> I'll follow this up, as my time permits; thanks for the heads-up.

Thank you very much for keeping MinGW GCC up to date.  Meanwhile I
downgraded to GCC 4.9.3, which doesn't have this issue, which will
serve me until GCC 5.x is fixed.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

strnlen.patch (2K) Download Attachment

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 16:36:49 +0100
>
> On 18/04/16 19:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I hope a fixed binary distribution of GCC 5 will be available
> > soon.
>
> Perhaps you'd like to try the updated build at:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version5/gcc
> - -5.3.0-2/

Thanks, I definitely will, although it might take a few days until I
get to it.

On 4/27/2016 11:31 AM, Keith Marshall wrote:
> On 18/04/16 15:10, Earnie wrote:
>> We need to create our own version of strnlen for libmingw32.a ...
>
> Any particular reason for libmingw32.a, rather than libmingwex.a?  The
> latter is where we normally provide our own implementations, to extend
> the scope of basic MSVCRT.DLL content.

I have no reason, libmingwex.a is fine.

Re: MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

> Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 21:39:12 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]>
>
> > From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 16:36:49 +0100
> >
> > On 18/04/16 19:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > I hope a fixed binary distribution of GCC 5 will be available
> > > soon.
> >
> > Perhaps you'd like to try the updated build at:
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version5/gcc
> > - -5.3.0-2/
>
> Thanks, I definitely will, although it might take a few days until I
> get to it.

Sorry for the long delay.  I finally got to installing this binary
distribution, and I'm happy to report that it works fine on my XPSP3
machine.  I compiled 2 large packages with it, and saw no problems.
The dependency walker also reported no problems with dependency DLLs.

Thanks!