MinGW installation for restricted systems

MinGW installation for restricted systems

Robert Cavanaugh
Hi,
First, please me know if my client is complying with the etiquette preferences, it hides some details.
Second, I have a need for a complete MinGW package including gcc and most options on a
restricted PC that is not connected to an outside network. Is there a way to obtain either
a pre-compiled binary image or a how-to on the installed structure? I spent four hours
last week downloading all the individual files from sourceforge but I am stuck on the
actual installation procedure. Using mingw-get fails as it is looking for sourceforge.
If there is a way to redirect to an internal repository that would be great as well

Thanks in advance for any help
Bob C.

Re: MinGW installation for restricted systems

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 01:47:05 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Robert Cavanaugh <[hidden email]>
>
> Second, I have a need for a complete MinGW package including gcc and most
> options on a
> restricted PC that is not connected to an outside network. Is there a way to
> obtain either
> a pre-compiled binary image or a how-to on the installed structure? I spent
> four hours
> last week downloading all the individual files from sourceforge but I am stuck
> on the
> actual installation procedure. Using mingw-get fails as it is looking for
> sourceforge.
> If there is a way to redirect to an internal repository that would be great as
> well

One obvious way is to bypass mingw-get, download all the required
packages manually and then install them manually.

Re: MinGW installation for restricted systems

Robert Cavanaugh
Hi Eli,
Thanks very much for your response, but it highlights the specific question: How? Getting the files is no problem, I have already done that. The big question is where to put them? Is there a standard directory structure for the resulting outputs, or is it all dependent on explicit paths? For example, is msys bash expecting files in a particular directory? Where, how many, and at what permission levels should the temp file be? Those are the questions that are handled transparently by mingw-get. If there was a way to tell it to look in c:\myrepo instead of sourceforge.net, that would be excellent. Or if anybody has made an iso image that can be loaded that would also be great. Second choice is there a how-to tutorial or script available?

Bob C.

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 28, 2015, at 10:40 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 01:47:05 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: Robert Cavanaugh <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Second, I have a need for a complete MinGW package including gcc and most
>> options on a
>> restricted PC that is not connected to an outside network. Is there a way to
>> obtain either
>> a pre-compiled binary image or a how-to on the installed structure? I spent
>> four hours
>> last week downloading all the individual files from sourceforge but I am stuck
>> on the
>> actual installation procedure. Using mingw-get fails as it is looking for
>> sourceforge.
>> If there is a way to redirect to an internal repository that would be great as
>> well
>
> One obvious way is to bypass mingw-get, download all the required
> packages manually and then install them manually.

Re: MinGW installation for restricted systems

Eli Zaretskii
> Cc: [hidden email]
> From: Robert Cavanaugh <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 23:11:22 -0700
>
> Hi Eli,
> Thanks very much for your response, but it highlights the specific question: How? Getting the files is no problem, I have already done that. The big question is where to put them?

In general, pick up a directory where you'd like the MSYS tree to be
rooted, and another directory where you'd like the MinGW tree to be
rooted.  Then unpack every MSYS archive from the MSYS root directory,
and every MinGW archive from the MinGW root directory.

There are some (possibly slightly outdated) instructions here:

  http://www.mingw.org/wiki/InstallationHOWTOforMinGW

> Is there a standard directory structure for the resulting outputs, or is it all dependent on explicit paths? For example, is msys bash expecting files in a particular directory?

You should only make sure the tool you use to unpack the archives
preserves the directory structure recorded in the archives (one
recommended possibility is to use 'bsdtar'), and you must unpack all
of the archives from the same root directory.  That's all; the trees
themselves are completely relocatable, and can be rooted at any
directory.

One other gotcha to be aware of is the Windows limitation on the
length of file names: it is advisable not to select a root directory
that is too deep in the Windows directory tree, to minimize the
probability that you will ever bump into that limitation.

> Where, how many, and at what permission levels should the temp file be?

I don't understand this question.  In general, leave the permission
bits as they are upon directory creation.  On Vista and later systems,
do NOT install inside any system directories, like "C:\Program Files",
because those have access restrictions and are subject to
virtualization that will drive you mad if any updatable configuration
files are in the tree.  Other than those general precautions (I never
install anything in "C:\Program Files"), I'm not aware of any issues
with permissions.

HTH

On 29/09/15 02:47, Robert Cavanaugh wrote:
> Hi,First, please me know if my client is complying with the etiquette
> preferences, it hides some details.

It could wrap text, at a more comfortable reading width ... ~70 chars,
say.  As it stands, it sprawls all the way across the message viewing
pane in my Thunderbird client, and is all coalesced into an amorphous
wall of barely decipherable text.

> Second, I have a need for a complete MinGW package including gcc and
> most options on a restricted PC that is not connected to an outside
> network. Is there a way to obtain either a pre-compiled binary image
> or a how-to on the installed structure?

While Eli's suggested manual installation is certainly a viable option,
you can also achieve this using mingw-get, (and thus save yourself the
hassle of resolving dependencies up-front).  I explained the technique
on this very list, almost four years ago; see the gmane archived post:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/38649/focus=38658