Msys 2 Work in progress

1234

Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels
Been hammering for some time on an updated Msys Core based on cygwin
1.5. And i can build the dll + most utilities now but its rather
unstable still. Theres a ton of work done but also a ton left i suspect,
atleast i need to fix the cygheap errors still. Theres also a bug with
reading fstab it seems (crashes immediatly if theres an fstab file in
/etc). Also need to remove unnessesary stuff like the mingw runtime build.
To complete it i could use some help since digging through the old Msys
source takes rather long, and many functions have changed completely. So
if anyone feels upto the task, ill upload my current source.

Best Wishes Revelator.

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Charles Wilson-8
On 9/7/2011 3:30 PM, Ralph Engels wrote:
> Been hammering for some time on an updated Msys Core based on cygwin
> 1.5.

If you check the mailing list archives in the last year (mingw-dvlpr and
mingw-users) you'll see that some discussion about "MSYS 2" has occurred
-- but along these lines:

"hey, the cygwin folks implemented self-install-location-detection, the
ability for multiple 'cygwins' to coexist, and /etc/fstab support.
Since that was one of the most intrusive changes made to create msys
from cygwin-1.3.4, I bet it would be a LOT easier to recreate msys now,
using modern cygwin as a base"

But, in this context, "modern" means "cygwin-1.7+" -- not 1.5.x

Basically, the major abi breaking "improvement" you get from 1.5.x is
support for large files (>4GB), and the normal set of assorted bugfixes
and minor improvements.

However, with cygwin-1.7 you get unicode/i18n support, and extremely
long pathname support (32KB, rather than 260 chars) [since, internally,
cygwin-1.7 now uses the *W() w32api functions exclusively].  I've
actually hit that smaller limit compiling java code...

So...while I appreciate the work you've put into msys-cygwin-1.5, I'd
suggest perusing those old mailing list discussions, and using what you
have learned so far to accelerate a reimplementation of msys based on
cygwin-1.7.9 or cvs HEAD.

--
Chuck

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Teemu Nätkinniemi
On 8.9.2011 8:17, Ralph Engels wrote:

> Ok ill see if i can port Cygwin 1.7.
> I came as far as getting 1.5 to compile with the old Msys but 1.7
> would probably need cygwin for the initial boot i guess.
> Is there a place to get the changes to the Msys core ? i did my work
> by sifting through the source and consulting the Msys Changes doc but
> its rather timeconsuming.

This is the diff between Cygwin 1.3.3 and Msys 1.0.17:

http://teemun.x10.mx/cygwin133-msys1017.diff.gz

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Charles Wilson-8
On 9/8/2011 8:40 AM, Ralph Engels wrote:
> Well i be damned that diff helped a lot initial working version
> allready done using cygwin now recompiling it with the new Msys
> version :) lets hope it goes.

PLEASE take my advice, and search for the earlier discussions of this.
Not all of the "stuff" in that patch needs to be (re)implemented in a
new msys - since the underlying cygwin now supports it directly. Also,
some of the compromises we made to support Win9x are no longer
necessary, since (as of MSYS-1.0.17) msys no longer supports 9x anyway.

--
Chuck

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Teemu Nätkinniemi
On 8.9.2011 19:06, Ralph Engels wrote:

> Actually i can report a complete succes it works :) i started
> rebuilding newer binutils and gcc for it since the old 3.4.4 gcc seems
> to break with some of the new stuff in 1.7.
> Ill make a system builder availiable once i got enough tools going on it.

I think Cygwin 1.7 needs GCC 4.X to compile. Please share your patches
and sources as soon as you can.

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Teemu Nätkinniemi
On 9.9.2011 0:10, Ralph Engels wrote:

> The makefiles need a workover btw since it installs things like it was
> a cygwin tree. Also you are correct about it needing a newer gcc i
> tried with Msys gcc and it failed. So im trying to compile a newer
> version. (gcc-4.6.1) atm it gets as far as libstdc++ before failing :/.
> Ill see if i can fix it.

Here's a somewhat working GCC 4.3.4 for MSYS, based on Cygwin's version:

http://teemun.x10.mx/gcc-msys/gcc-4.3.4-msys-bin.tar.lzma

Compiling GCC 4.x with MSYS is very difficult (especially libstdc++) as
MSYS' Newlib is missing some essential things.

A recommendation: use Cygwin's sources for GCC and Binutils as a base
when compiling a new toolchain for MSYS2.

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Charles Wilson-8
On 9/8/2011 3:01 PM, Teemu Nätkinniemi wrote:

> I think Cygwin 1.7 needs GCC 4.X to compile. Please share your patches
> and sources as soon as you can.

This is true. I was always under the impression that we would have to
take the traditional approach:

  1) build a linux->msys gcc-4 toolchain
  2) Do all the mods to create msys-2 from cygwin-1.7 ON linux, until it
     compiles...also, build msys-2::bash and msys-2::coreutils with
     that toolchain.
  3) Then test the result on win32....repeat #2 and #3 until happy.
  4) THEN, build a "native" msys-2 toolchain using the linux->msys
     cross compiler.
  5) Install THAT on win32, and try to "self-host" (that is, build
     msys-2) USING the compiler under msys-2.
  6) Repeat #4 and #5 until happy.
  7) Try to build the msys-2 compiler using the compiler from #4.
  8) And...FINALLY, self-host the msys dll build using the toolchain
     from #7.  Repeat #7 and #8 until happy.

Ralph jumped straight to #7.

--
Chuck

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Charles Wilson-8
On 9/8/2011 5:47 PM, Teemu Nätkinniemi wrote:

> Compiling GCC 4.x with MSYS is very difficult (especially libstdc++) as
> MSYS' Newlib is missing some essential things.
>
> A recommendation: use Cygwin's sources for GCC and Binutils as a base
> when compiling a new toolchain for MSYS2.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention: when you "update" your tree to modern
cygwin-1.7 sources, you ALSO have to update the underlying newlib -- and
apply all necessary msys-ization patches to IT.  cygwin-1.7 requires a
lot of stuff from "modern" newlib.

--
Chuck

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels

Den 08-09-2011 23:55, Charles Wilson skrev:

> On 9/8/2011 3:01 PM, Teemu Nätkinniemi wrote:
>>
>> I think Cygwin 1.7 needs GCC 4.X to compile. Please share your
>> patches and sources as soon as you can.
>
> This is true. I was always under the impression that we would have
> to take the traditional approach:
>
> 1) build a linux->msys gcc-4 toolchain 2) Do all the mods to create
> msys-2 from cygwin-1.7 ON linux, until it compiles...also, build
> msys-2::bash and msys-2::coreutils with that toolchain. 3) Then
> test the result on win32....repeat #2 and #3 until happy. 4) THEN,
> build a "native" msys-2 toolchain using the linux->msys cross
> compiler. 5) Install THAT on win32, and try to "self-host" (that
> is, build msys-2) USING the compiler under msys-2. 6) Repeat #4 and
> #5 until happy. 7) Try to build the msys-2 compiler using the
> compiler from #4. 8) And...FINALLY, self-host the msys dll build
> using the toolchain from #7.  Repeat #7 and #8 until happy.
>
> Ralph jumped straight to #7.
>
> -- Chuck

> What are the key obstacles that have prevented many mid-market
> businesses from deploying virtual desktops?   How do
> next-generation virtual desktops provide companies an
> easier-to-deploy, easier-to-manage and more affordable virtual
> desktop model.http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51426474/
Thanks well tbh. my Msys build environment had some rather hefty
patching to allow me to build some stuff that normally wouldnt build
at all so that might explain it. Well that and lack of sleep hehe i
been at it for two days straight with only pauses to take a step in
natures direction or to get another cup of coffe :).
I intend to post my patchset tomorrow sometime i really need some
sleep now :/ it will be pretty huge im afraid.

Best Wishes Ralph Engels

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Charles Wilson-8
On 9/8/2011 7:16 PM, Ralph Engels wrote:
> I intend to post my patchset tomorrow sometime i really need some
> sleep now :/ it will be pretty huge im afraid.

This surprises me. I would have thought, since a large portion of
msys-1.0's changes are now part of stock cygwin, that the changes
would be /smaller/ not larger...

I'm fighting the flu or something, so I may not be able to properly
analyze your patch until next week or later.

--
Chuck

Re: Msys 2 Work in progress

Ralph Engels