MySYS and deal.II

Leonardo Orazi
Hi gurus, I am trying to compile deal.II (www.dealii.org) on MySYS
running under Windows XP.

I installed MinGW 3.1.0-1 and MySYS 1.0.10

The gcc compiler is gcc version 3.2.3 (mingw special 20030504-1).

The make is GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland
McGrath. Built for i686-pc-msys.

I launched the deal.II ./configure obtaining:

$ ./configure
Configuring deal.II version 5.1
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32

---------------- configuring C/C++ compilers ----------------
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc... /mingw/bin/gcc
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... /mingw/bin/g++
C++ compiler is gcc-3.2
checking for std::advance warning... no
checking whether -ggdb works... yes
C compiler is gcc-3.2
checking whether AssertThrow works with debug flags... yes
checking whether AssertThrow works with optimized flags... yes
checking for local computed template typedef bug... no
checking for partially specialized template access control bug... no
checking for template member operator instantiation bug... no
checking for 1st template friend in namespace bug... no
checking for 2nd template friend in namespace bug... no
checking for template specialization friend bug... yes
checking for bug with implementing pure functions... no
checking for template template typedef bug... no
checking for address of template template function bug... no
checking for nested classes are implicit friends bug... no
checking for nested template class friends bug... yes. using workaround
checking for member variable specialization bug... no
checking for template member function specialization bug... no
checking for long double optimization bug... no
checking for anonymous namespace and name mangling bug... yes. using
workaround
checking for anonymous namespace and weak linkage bug... yes
checking for bogus warning with anonymous namespaces... no
checking for SFINAE bug... no
checking for template operator disambiguation bug... yes. using workaround
checking for array assignment in conditional bug... no
checking for explicit template constructor bug... no
checking for problem with -Wsynth and std::complex... yes
./configure: perl: command not found
checking for boost::shared_ptr assignment operator= template buglet... no
checking for __PRETTY_FUNCTION__... yes
checking for std::iterator class... yes
checking for std::i/ostringstream classes... yes
checking for std::numeric_limits classes... yes
checking for <ostream> header... yes
checking for <iosfwd> header... yes
checking for __builtin_expect... yes
checking for __verbose_terminate_handler... yes
checking for minimal std::vector<T> capacity... 1
checking for minimal std::vector<bool> capacity... 32
checking for exception specifications on abort()... yes
checking whether getrusage is properly declared... no
checking whether isnan is declared with debug flags... yes
checking whether isnan is declared with optimized flags... yes
checking for rand_r... no
checking for quad vs. quad_t define... no
checking for definitions of error codes in errno.h... yes
checking for gethostname... no

----------------- configuring F77 compilers -----------------
checking for f77... no
checking for g77... /mingw/bin/g77
F77 compiler is gcc-3.2

-------------- configuring shared/static libs ---------------
checking for ar... ar
checking for ar... /mingw/bin/ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ranlib... /mingw/bin/ranlib
./configure: perl: command not found
./configure: perl: command not found

---------------- configuring additional libs ----------------
checking for HSL subroutines... none found
checking for PETSc library directory... not found
checking for Metis library directory... not found

------------------ checking compiler flags ------------------
checking for CPU to optimize for... none given or not recognized
checking for consistency of CXXFLAGSG flags... yes
checking for consistency of CXXFLAGSO flags... yes

---------------- configuring other programs -----------------
checking for doxygen... /c/Programmi/doxygen/bin/doxygen
checking for dot... dot
checking for perl... no

--------------------- generating output ---------------------
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating common/Make.global_options
config.status: creating common/Makefile.template
config.status: creating common/scripts/make_dependencies.pl
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/doxygen/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/doxygen/options.dox
config.status: creating base/include/base/config.h
config.status: base/include/base/config.h is unchanged
configure: configuring in contrib
configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr/local
--cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.

Re: MySYS and deal.II

Keith MARSHALL
Leonardo Orazi wrote:

> $ ./configure
> Configuring deal.II version 5.1

> -------------- configuring shared/static libs ---------------
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for ar... /mingw/bin/ar
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking for ranlib... /mingw/bin/ranlib
> ./configure: perl: command not found
> ./configure: perl: command not found

> checking for perl... no

> Launching Make result as:
>
> $ make debug

> cd /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II && make  Makefile.dep
> make[1]: Entering directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II'
> ============================ Remaking deal.II/Makefile
> /bin/sh.exe: -pe: command not found
> /bin/sh.exe: -p: command not found
> /bin/sh.exe: -pe: command not found
> make[1]: *** [Makefile.dep] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II'
> make: *** [deps] Error 2

> May be the problem is that in makefiles the paths are written in
> 'windows' style : "d:/Lavori_...." ,
> whereas mingw and msys like it this way:
>   "/d/Lavori_..."

That's doubtful -- MSYS can handle either format.

> Some suggest?

Maybe it's because you don't have perl?  The configure script really
should have choked on that, if it can't live without, but you could try
installing msysDTK, and see if that helps -- it at least will give you a
working perl.

What is the actual command, in the Makefile, which is generating those
"command not found" errors?  If the Makefile is using .SILENT, or
leading "@" tokens to suppress command echoing, then please fix that, so
you can see what make is doing, and post the appropriate section of the
failing execution trace.  Without seeing what is actually going on, it
is difficult to offer any more useful advice.

Best regards,

Re: MySYS and deal.II

Leonardo Orazi

>>Some suggest?
>

> Maybe it's because you don't have perl?  The configure script really
> should have choked on that, if it can't live without, but you could try
> installing msysDTK, and see if that helps -- it at least will give you a
> working perl.
>
> What is the actual command, in the Makefile, which is generating those
> "command not found" errors?  If the Makefile is using .SILENT, or
> leading "@" tokens to suppress command echoing, then please fix that, so
> you can see what make is doing, and post the appropriate section of the
> failing execution trace.  Without seeing what is actually going on, it
> is difficult to offer any more useful advice.
>
> Best regards,
> Keith.

Oops, I inlcuded an old snapshot of the configuratio procedure before
the installation of perl. The actual situation follow below:

[...]

checking for perl... /c/Perl/bin//perl

[...]

I removed leading @'s from ./base/Makefile to obtain more informations
and this is the result:

$ make baseg
cd /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base && make  Makefile.dep
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base'
Makefile:85: Makefile.dep: No such file or directory
echo ============================ Remaking base/Makefile
============================ Remaking base/Makefile
/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/common/scripts/make_dependencies
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/contrib/boost/include
"-B/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib/base"
source/auto_derivative_function.cc source/conditional_ostream.cc
source/convergence_table.cc source/data_out_base.cc source/exceptions.cc
source/function.cc source/function_derivative.cc source/function_lib.cc
source/function_lib_cutoff.cc source/function_time.cc
source/job_identifier.cc source/log.cc source/memory_consumption.cc
source/multithread_info.cc source/parameter_handler.cc
source/polynomial.cc source/polynomial_space.cc
source/polynomials_bdm.cc source/polynomials_p.cc source/programid.cc
source/quadrature.cc source/quadrature_lib.cc
source/quadrature_selector.cc source/subscriptor.cc
source/table_handler.cc source/tensor.cc source/tensor_function.cc
source/tensor_product_polynomials.cc source/thread_management.cc
source/timer.cc \
         > Makefile.dep
if test -s Makefile.dep ; then : else rm Makefile.dep ; fi
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base'
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base'
make[1]: `Makefile.dep' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base'
cd /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac && make  Makefile.dep
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac'
Makefile:109: Makefile.dep: No such file or directory
============================ Remaking lac/Makefile
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac'
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac'
make[1]: `Makefile.dep' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac'
cd /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II && make  Makefile.dep
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II'
Makefile:176: Makefile.dep: No such file or directory
============================ Remaking deal.II/Makefile
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II'
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II'
make[1]: `Makefile.dep' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II'
cd /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib && make  external-links
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `external-links'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib'
cd /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base && make  libg
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base'
echo "=====base=============debug========== "
=====base=============debug==========
(cxx) -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN -ggdb -DDEBUG -pedantic
-Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Winline -Woverloaded-virtual
-Wsign-compare -Wconversion -Wswitch -ftemplate-depth-128 -Wno-long-long
  -I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/contrib/boost/include  -fPIC -c  -o
/bin/sh.exe: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token
`-DHAVE_CONFIG_H'
/bin/sh.exe: -c: line 1: `(cxx) -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN
-ggdb -DDEBUG -pedantic -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings
-Winline -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsign-compare -Wconversion -Wswitch
-ftemplate-depth-128 -Wno-long-long
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/contrib/boost/include  -fPIC -c  -o '
make[1]: ***
[/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib/base/auto_derivative_function.g.o] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base'
make: *** [baseg] Error 2

HAVE_CONFIG_H HAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN are not resolved?

Thanks in advance

Re: MySYS and deal.II

Keith MARSHALL
Leonardo Orazi wrote:
> (cxx) -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN -ggdb -DDEBUG -pedantic

So, what is (cxx)?  This is an invalid command, in your makefile.

> -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Winline -Woverloaded-virtual
> -Wsign-compare -Wconversion -Wswitch -ftemplate-depth-128 -Wno-long-long

>   -I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include
> -I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac/include
> -I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II/include
> -I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/contrib/boost/include  -fPIC -c  -o
> /bin/sh.exe: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token
> `-DHAVE_CONFIG_H'
> /bin/sh.exe: -c: line 1: `(cxx) -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN
>       :
>       :
> make[1]: ***
> [/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib/base/auto_derivative_function.g.o] Error
2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base'
> make: *** [baseg] Error 2
>
> HAVE_CONFIG_H HAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN are not resolved?

That is not what the error message is telling you.  It is saying that you
have a command syntax error, so no command is run, to even try to resolve
them.

Best regards,

Re: MySYS and deal.II

Leonardo Orazi
Keith MARSHALL ha scritto:

> Leonardo Orazi wrote:
>
>>(cxx) -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN -ggdb -DDEBUG -pedantic
>

> So, what is (cxx)?  This is an invalid command, in your makefile.
>

>>-Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Winline -Woverloaded-virtual
>>-Wsign-compare -Wconversion -Wswitch -ftemplate-depth-128 -Wno-long-long
>

>>  -I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include
>>-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac/include
>>-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II/include
>>-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/contrib/boost/include  -fPIC -c  -o
>>/bin/sh.exe: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token
>>`-DHAVE_CONFIG_H'
>>/bin/sh.exe: -c: line 1: `(cxx) -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN
>>      :
>>      :
>>make[1]: ***
>>[/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib/base/auto_derivative_function.g.o] Error
>
> 2
>
>>make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base'
>>make: *** [baseg] Error 2
>>
>>HAVE_CONFIG_H HAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN are not resolved?
>

> That is not what the error message is telling you.  It is saying that you
> have a command syntax error, so no command is run, to even try to resolve
> them.
>
> Best regards,
> Keith.

Perhaps I altered the Makefile.

After another ./configure'ing the situation is this one:

The d:/... and /d/... in base/Makefile.dep lead to the same result:
that is:

$ make baseg
[...]
/mingw/bin/g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_UNDERSCORE_ISNAN -ggdb -DDEBUG
-pedantic -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Winline
-Woverloaded-virtual -Wsign-compare -Wconversion -Wswitch
-ftemplate-depth-128 -Wno-long-long
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lac/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/deal.II/include
-I/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/contrib/boost/include  -fPIC -c  -o
g++.exe: argument to `-o' missing

make[1]: ***
[/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib/base/auto_derivative_function.g.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base'
make: *** [baseg] Error 2

I also translated the Makefile.dep in unix format (CR/LF -> CR)

the base/Makefile is:

# deal.II top level directory
D=..

# create lists of file names
cc-files     = $(shell echo source/*.cc)
o-files-base = $(addprefix $(LIBDIR)/base/, $(patsubst
source/%,%,$(cc-files:.cc=.$(OBJEXT))))
o-files      = $(sort $(o-files-base))
go-files     = $(o-files:.$(OBJEXT)=.g.$(OBJEXT))
h-files      = $(sort $(shell echo include/base/*.h))

# get options which hold for all files of the project
include $D/common/Make.global_options

# production rules
ifneq ($(with-multithreading),no)
   MT = MT
else
   MT = ==
endif

$(LIBDIR)/base/%.g.$(OBJEXT) :
         echo "=====base=============debug======$(MT)== $(<F)"
         $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS.g) -c $< -o
$(LIBDIR)/base/%.$(OBJEXT) :
         echo "=====base=============optimized==$(MT)== $(<F)"
         (CXX) $(CXXFLAGS.o) -c $< -o

# rules
lib: $(LIBDIR)/libbase.g$(lib-suffix) $(LIBDIR)/libbase$(lib-suffix)
libg: $(LIBDIR)/libbase.g$(lib-suffix)
libo: $(LIBDIR)/libbase$(lib-suffix)

$(LIBDIR)/libbase$(static-lib-suffix): $(o-files)
         echo "=====base=============optimized==$(MT)== Linking library:
   $(@F)"
         (AR) ru $(o-files)
         (RANLIB)

$(LIBDIR)/libbase.g$(static-lib-suffix): $(go-files)
         echo "=====base=============debug======$(MT)== Linking library:
   $(@F)"
         $(AR) ru $@ $(go-files)
         $(RANLIB) $@

$(LIBDIR)/libbase$(shared-lib-suffix): $(o-files)
         echo "=====base=============optimized==$(MT)== Linking library:
   $(@F)"
         $(SHLIBLD) $(LDFLAGS) -shared -o $@ $(o-files)

$(LIBDIR)/libbase.g$(shared-lib-suffix): $(go-files)
         echo "=====base=============debug======$(MT)== Linking library:
   $(@F)"
         $(SHLIBLD) $(LDFLAGS) -shared -o $@ $(go-files)

clean:
         -rm -f *~ include/*~ include/*/*~ Makefile.dep

# Rule to generate the dependency file. This file is
# automagically remade whenever needed, i.e. whenever
# one of the cc-/h-files changed. Make detects whether
# to remake this file upon inclusion at the bottom
# of this file.
#
# If the file should turn out to be empty, then blow it
# away to let make issue a proper error message rather than
# some obscure follow-up problems
Makefile.dep: $(cc-files) $(h-files) Makefile $D/common/Make.global_options
         echo ============================ Remaking base/Makefile
         $D/common/scripts/make_dependencies $(INCLUDE)
"-B$(LIBDIR)/base" $(cc-files) \
                 > Makefile.dep
         if test -s $@ ; then : else rm $@ ; fi

# include all the dependencies
include Makefile.dep

.PHONY: clean
.PHONY: lib lib$(static-lib-suffix) lib.g$(static-lib-suffix)

..while the Makefile.dep contains the source file list like
/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib/base/convergence_table.o: \
                source/convergence_table.cc\
                /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include/base/config.h\
                /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include/base/convergence_table.h\
                /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include/base/exceptions.h\
                /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include/base/table_handler.h
/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib/base/convergence_table.g.o: \
                source/convergence_table.cc\
                /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include/base/config.h\
                /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include/base/convergence_table.h\
                /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include/base/exceptions.h\
                /d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/base/include/base/table_handler.h
/d/Lavori_Attuali/deal.II/lib/base/data_out_base.o: \

Cheers

Re: MySYS and deal.II

Tor Lillqvist
Leonardo Orazi writes:
 > g++.exe: argument to `-o' missing

Isn't this a very clear error message?

 > $(LIBDIR)/base/%.g.$(OBJEXT) :
 >          echo "=====base=============debug======$(MT)== $(<F)"
 >          $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS.g) -c $< -o

You are missing the output file name after the -o . In this case (in a
Makefile suffix or pattern rule) you should use $@ .

--tml

Re: MySYS and deal.II

Leonardo Orazi
I reinstalled and reconfigured and now the compiling process start if
int makefile.dep the windows path d:/.... are substituted by /d/....

The problem is the lack of the include file

<sys/resource.h> that contains, for example, the definition of 'rusage'.
  Do somebody know if it is possible to install it under MySYS?

LO

Re: MySYS and deal.II

Michael Gerdau
> I reinstalled and reconfigured and now the compiling process start if
> int makefile.dep the windows path d:/.... are substituted by /d/....
>

> The problem is the lack of the include file
>
> <sys/resource.h> that contains, for example, the definition of 'rusage'.
>   Do somebody know if it is possible to install it under MySYS?

Don't know wether there exists a port to Win32.

Otherwise you'll have to recode the relevant stuff using the
GetProcess* familie of APIs from Win32.

Check out MSDN for details.

Best,
Michael
--
 Vote against SPAM - see http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]