Portable MSYS

Keith Marshall-3
Following up on
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/41073/focus=41088

I'm considering providing an msys-portable-bin package, which will
furnish an /etc/profile.d start-up hook script, with an accompanying
/etc/fstab.portable.sample configuration file; the latter will be
derived from /etc/fstab.sample

In the existing /etc/fstab.sample file, I see:
# Currently /etc/fstab is only read during dll initialization.
# I will eventually watch the directory for changes and reread the file.

Is this still valid today?  I thought that fstab watching feature had
already been implemented.

Re: Portable MSYS

Earnie Boyd
On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Keith Marshall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following up on
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/41073/focus=41088
>
> I'm considering providing an msys-portable-bin package, which will
> furnish an /etc/profile.d start-up hook script, with an accompanying
> /etc/fstab.portable.sample configuration file; the latter will be
> derived from /etc/fstab.sample
>
> In the existing /etc/fstab.sample file, I see:
> # Currently /etc/fstab is only read during dll initialization.
> # I will eventually watch the directory for changes and reread the file.
>
> Is this still valid today?  I thought that fstab watching feature had
> already been implemented.

No, it hasn't been for a long time.  Those comments need to be removed.

Re: Portable MSYS

Keith Marshall-3
On 03/01/13 12:30, Earnie Boyd wrote, quoting me:
>> In the existing /etc/fstab.sample file, I see:
>> # Currently /etc/fstab is only read during dll initialization.
>> # I will eventually watch the directory for changes and reread the file.
>>
>> Is this still valid today?  I thought that fstab watching feature had
>> already been implemented.
>
> No, it hasn't been for a long time.  Those comments need to be removed.

Okay.  I've removed them from my /etc/fstab.portable.sample file; I'll
leave Cesar to adjust the original /etc/fstab.sample

I've attached my tentative implementation for a portable installation
hook; any comments before I publish it?

msys-portable.xml.xz (1K) Download Attachment
msys-portable-1.0-msys-1.0.13-bin.tar.xz (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Portable MSYS

Earnie Boyd
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Keith Marshall wrote:

> On 03/01/13 12:30, Earnie Boyd wrote, quoting me:
>>>
>>> In the existing /etc/fstab.sample file, I see:
>>> # Currently /etc/fstab is only read during dll initialization.
>>> # I will eventually watch the directory for changes and reread the file.
>>>
>>> Is this still valid today?  I thought that fstab watching feature had
>>> already been implemented.
>>

>> No, it hasn't been for a long time.  Those comments need to be removed.
>

> Okay.  I've removed them from my /etc/fstab.portable.sample file; I'll leave
> Cesar to adjust the original /etc/fstab.sample
>
> I've attached my tentative implementation for a portable installation hook;
> any comments before I publish it?

I'm confused by the version numbers in the file names.  Should it be
1.0.18 instead of 1.0.13?

Re: Portable MSYS

Keith Marshall-3
On 04/01/13 13:57, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> I've attached my tentative implementation for a portable installation hook;
>> any comments before I publish it?
>
> I'm confused by the version numbers in the file names.  Should it be
> 1.0.18 instead of 1.0.13?

IMO, no.  That would imply that it requires MSYS-1.0.18, which it
doesn't; (I've been using it with earlier versions, for a couple of
years now, in my workplace, but just never got around to publishing,
before now).

All of its dependencies are designated as MSYS-1.0.13 vintage.  It may
well work with even earlier versions, but I'm not confident in saying
that it will; I AM confident that it will work, as intended, with all
versions from MSYS-1.0.13 onward.  The chosen package name reflects this.

Re: Portable MSYS

Earnie Boyd
On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Keith Marshall wrote:

> On 04/01/13 13:57, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>> I've attached my tentative implementation for a portable installation hook;
>>> any comments before I publish it?
>>
>> I'm confused by the version numbers in the file names.  Should it be
>> 1.0.18 instead of 1.0.13?
>
> IMO, no.  That would imply that it requires MSYS-1.0.18, which it
> doesn't; (I've been using it with earlier versions, for a couple of
> years now, in my workplace, but just never got around to publishing,
> before now).
>
> All of its dependencies are designated as MSYS-1.0.13 vintage.  It may
> well work with even earlier versions, but I'm not confident in saying
> that it will; I AM confident that it will work, as intended, with all
> versions from MSYS-1.0.13 onward.  The chosen package name reflects this.

As long as the release notes state that so the documentation can be
ignored by the users I accept this concept.