Problem with Ada in MinGW GCC-6.3 release

Problem with Ada in MinGW GCC-6.3 release

David Gressett-6
Here is the source code of a simple program (test.adb) that fails to build:

with Ada.Text_IO;
use Ada.Text_IO;

with Ada.Directories;
use Ada.Directories;

procedure Test
is
  Search: Search_Type;
  File: Directory_Entry_Type;

begin
  Start_Search(Search, ".", "*");

  while More_Entries(Search) loop
    Get_Next_Entry(Search, File);
    Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line(Simple_Name(File));
  end loop;

  End_Search(Search);

end Test;

When I try to build it, I get this:

$ gnatmake test
fatal error, run-time library not installed correctly
cannot locate file system.ads
ǩ: *** make failed.

system.ads does exist; it is at C:\MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\6.3.0\adainclude\system.ads

The problem occurs with two installations of GCC-6.3.0, one on a Windows 7
computer, and another on Windows 10.

I will open a ticket for this later today

Re: Problem with Ada in MinGW GCC-6.3 release

MinGW - User mailing list

On 27/07/17 16:22, David Gressett wrote:

> Here is the source code of a simple program (test.adb) that fails to
> build:
>
> with Ada.Text_IO;
> use Ada.Text_IO;
>
> with Ada.Directories;
> use Ada.Directories;
>
> procedure Test
> is
>   Search: Search_Type;
>   File: Directory_Entry_Type;
>
> begin
>   Start_Search(Search, ".", "*");
>
>   while More_Entries(Search) loop
>     Get_Next_Entry(Search, File);
>     Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line(Simple_Name(File));
>   end loop;
>
>   End_Search(Search);
>
> end Test;
>
> When I try to build it, I get this:
>
> $ gnatmake test
> fatal error, run-time library not installed correctly
> cannot locate file system.ads
> ǩ: *** make failed.

FWIW, this WJFFM with the cross-compiler, with which I built GCC-6.3.0
as a MinGW.org distributable suite:

  $ mingw32-gnatmake test
  mingw32-gcc -c test.adb
  mingw32-gnatbind -x test.ali
  mingw32-gnatlink test.ali

Running it (under wine):

  $ ./test.exe ; rstty
  .
  ..
  test.o
  test.adb
  test.exe
  test.ali

(The "rstty" is there because wine lacks the courtesy to restore my
terminal settings, after it has mucked about with them).

> system.ads does exist; it is at
> C:\MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\6.3.0\adainclude\system.ads

In my case, it is in:

  $ find ~/mingw32/ -name system.ads
  /home/keith/mingw32/lib/gcc/mingw32/6.3.0/adainclude/system.ads

(with the entire cross-compiler suite installed behind the ~/mingw32
symlink).

> The problem occurs with two installations of GCC-6.3.0, one on a
> Windows 7 computer, and another on Windows 10.

So, is this an issue with my crossed-native distribution build?  It
clearly doesn't affect my cross-compiler itself.

Re: Problem with Ada in MinGW GCC-6.3 release

David Gressett-6
On Sunday, July 30, 201 Keith Marshall wrote
>On 27/07/17 16:22, David Gressett wrote:
>> Here is the source code of a simple program (test.adb) that fails to
> build:

... snip ...

>FWIW, this WJFFM with the cross-compiler, with which I built GCC-6.3.0 as a MinGW.org distributable suite:

... snip ...

>So, is this an issue with my crossed-native distribution build?  It clearly doesn't affect my cross-compiler itself.

I downloaded  the MinGW 6.3.0 source code  and built it as a native build; I used that to overwrite the original
installation made by the graphical-mode installer. The problem disappeared.

I need to do some detective work to compare my overwritten MinGW directory structure with a
new installation.

My free time for such things has disappeared,  so I will probably not get to that until the weekend.