Procedure to update and test xml catalogue

Procedure to update and test xml catalogue

waterlan
Hi,

I made a new version of dos2unix and want to update the xml catalogue.
I lost all my mail on doomsday Dec 21, and could recover only partly. So
I lost the mail in which Keith describes how to test the changes. I also
cannot find it on the net. Would you like to tell me again how to doit it?

I checked out a fresh copy of mingw-dist (the new repo).
I update mingw32/mingw32-dos2unix.xml and the rest I forgot.

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

Re: Procedure to update and test xml catalogue

waterlan
Erwin Waterlander schreef, Op 27-1-2013 22:44:

> Hi,
>
> I made a new version of dos2unix and want to update the xml catalogue.
> I lost all my mail on doomsday Dec 21, and could recover only partly. So
> I lost the mail in which Keith describes how to test the changes. I also
> cannot find it on the net. Would you like to tell me again how to doit it?
>
> I checked out a fresh copy of mingw-dist (the new repo).
> I update mingw32/mingw32-dos2unix.xml and the rest I forgot.

I found it already:

1.  Execute 'autoconf' in the mingw-dist directory.
2.  Created '../build' and changed directory to it.
3.  Executed '../mingw-dist/configure'.
4.  Executed 'make'. (this updates the issue.log files)

Then update ChangeLog, and commit changes.

Op 28-1-2013 0:17, Erwin Waterlander schreef:

> Erwin Waterlander schreef, Op 27-1-2013 22:44:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I made a new version of dos2unix and want to update the xml catalogue.
>> I lost all my mail on doomsday Dec 21, and could recover only partly. So
>> I lost the mail in which Keith describes how to test the changes. I also
>> cannot find it on the net. Would you like to tell me again how to doit it?
>>
>> I checked out a fresh copy of mingw-dist (the new repo).
>> I update mingw32/mingw32-dos2unix.xml and the rest I forgot.
>>
> I found it already:
>
> 1.  Execute 'autoconf' in the mingw-dist directory.
> 2.  Created '../build' and changed directory to it.
> 3.  Executed '../mingw-dist/configure'.
> 4.  Executed 'make'. (this updates the issue.log files)
>
> Then update ChangeLog, and commit changes.

Hi,

When will I see the changes in the FILES section? Did I forget something?
Is there something wrong at SourceForge? I see that download statistics
of all projects are going to zero today.
I am able to install stuff with mingw-get, but not dos2unix 6.0.3.

regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

Re: Procedure to update and test xml catalogue

Earnie Boyd
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Erwin Waterlander wrote:

> Op 28-1-2013 0:17, Erwin Waterlander schreef:
>> Erwin Waterlander schreef, Op 27-1-2013 22:44:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I made a new version of dos2unix and want to update the xml catalogue.
>>> I lost all my mail on doomsday Dec 21, and could recover only partly. So
>>> I lost the mail in which Keith describes how to test the changes. I also
>>> cannot find it on the net. Would you like to tell me again how to doit it?
>>>
>>> I checked out a fresh copy of mingw-dist (the new repo).
>>> I update mingw32/mingw32-dos2unix.xml and the rest I forgot.
>>>
>> I found it already:
>>
>> 1.  Execute 'autoconf' in the mingw-dist directory.
>> 2.  Created '../build' and changed directory to it.
>> 3.  Executed '../mingw-dist/configure'.
>> 4.  Executed 'make'. (this updates the issue.log files)
>>
>> Then update ChangeLog, and commit changes.
>>

> Hi,
>
> When will I see the changes in the FILES section? Did I forget something?

Maybe you forgot the upload changed files step?

> Is there something wrong at SourceForge? I see that download statistics
> of all projects are going to zero today.

A result of upgrade from old SF to new SF.

> I am able to install stuff with mingw-get, but not dos2unix 6.0.3.

A result of not having the updated xml files downloaded.

On 28/01/13 19:15, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>> I found it already:
>>
>> 1.  Execute 'autoconf' in the mingw-dist directory.
>> 2.  Created '../build' and changed directory to it.
>> 3.  Executed '../mingw-dist/configure'.
>> 4.  Executed 'make'. (this updates the issue.log files)
>>
>> Then update ChangeLog, and commit changes.

Which gets your changes into the git repository, and collects the
modified catalogues, (in *.xml.lzma format), into "unpublished" subdirs
within your local build tree.  We stopped short of automating upload to
FRS, so...

> When will I see the changes in the FILES section?

...not until you complete the upload, manually.

> Did I forget something?

That final upload step, perhaps?  I'd also suggest that, after you've
verified completion of this, (see below), you delete the content of your
local "unpublished" subdirs.

> Is there something wrong at SourceForge? I see that download statistics
> of all projects are going to zero today.

It's possible, but if you haven't completed the publication process,
probably not related.

> I am able to install stuff with mingw-get, but not dos2unix 6.0.3.

After uploading to FRS, you may need to wait around 30 mins, for the new
*.xml.lzma file(s) to propagate to the mirrors.  Then you must do

   $ mingw-get update

to make your local mingw-get installation aware of the change(s) [*].
Only when you've completed these steps, can you rigorously verify that
your updates are available to all users, via mingw-get.

[*] I'm assuming that you are not using the GUI snapshot of mingw-get,
which I posted just before Christmas.  Only 10 users (worldwide) have
shown sufficient interest to download, and not a single comment!  Very
discouraging; I almost wonder if it's worth progressing it further.

Keith Marshall schreef, Op 28-1-2013 21:26:

> On 28/01/13 19:15, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>>> I found it already:
>>>
>>> 1.  Execute 'autoconf' in the mingw-dist directory.
>>> 2.  Created '../build' and changed directory to it.
>>> 3.  Executed '../mingw-dist/configure'.
>>> 4.  Executed 'make'. (this updates the issue.log files)
>>>
>>> Then update ChangeLog, and commit changes.
> Which gets your changes into the git repository, and collects the
> modified catalogues, (in *.xml.lzma format), into "unpublished" subdirs
> within your local build tree.  We stopped short of automating upload to
> FRS, so...
>
>> When will I see the changes in the FILES section?
> ...not until you complete the upload, manually.
>
>> Did I forget something?
> That final upload step, perhaps?  I'd also suggest that, after you've
> verified completion of this, (see below), you delete the content of your
> local "unpublished" subdirs.

Yes. I didn't do the manual upload. I remembered it went automatically.
Thanks.

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

mingw-get GUI

waterlan
Keith Marshall schreef, Op 28-1-2013 21:26:
> [*] I'm assuming that you are not using the GUI snapshot of mingw-get,
> which I posted just before Christmas. Only 10 users (worldwide) have
> shown sufficient interest to download, and not a single comment! Very
> discouraging; I almost wonder if it's worth progressing it further.

I think it is not visible to most people. I missed it. Where can I get it?

Perhaps there should be a direct link on the front page mingw.org (like
setup.exe on Cygwin's page).
And the Download button on sourceforge/projects/mingw could point to
mingw-get gui instead of mingw-get-inst.

On page http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started the section "Graphical
User Interface Installer" points to mingw-get-inst instead of a
mingw-get gui.

On page http://www.mingw.org/wiki/InstallationHOWTOforMinGW I would
totally remove the section "Manual Installation". Only point to
mingw-get (gui). Manual installation is of the past.

regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

Re: mingw-get GUI

Keith Marshall-3
On 28/01/13 21:36, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> Keith Marshall schreef, Op 28-1-2013 21:26:
>> [*] I'm assuming that you are not using the GUI snapshot of mingw-get,
>> which I posted just before Christmas. Only 10 users (worldwide) have
>> shown sufficient interest to download, and not a single comment! Very
>> discouraging; I almost wonder if it's worth progressing it further.
>
> I think it is not visible to most people. I missed it.

It was a development snapshot, on sf.net/u/keithmarshall, with a public
announcement on MinGW-Users, to gauge user interest.

> Where can I get it?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/keithmarshall.u/files/mingw-get/mingw-get-0.6-mingw32-hg-20121224-1-bxz.zip/download

Unzip that into your MinGW root, (assuming CLI mingw-get itself uses
that same root), then run

   $ mingw-get install mingw-get-gui

> Perhaps there should be a direct link on the front page mingw.org (like
> setup.exe on Cygwin's page).

Eventually, yes, but we're not ready for that yet.

> And the Download button on sourceforge/projects/mingw could point to
> mingw-get gui instead of mingw-get-inst.

Ultimately, it will point to mingw-get-setup.exe, (a UPX packed .exe,
with much tighter integration with mingw-get itself, than we currently
have with mingw-get-inst), but again, we're not ready for that yet.

> On page http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started the section "Graphical
> User Interface Installer" points to mingw-get-inst instead of a
> mingw-get gui.

Which remains the preferred method, for normal users; I had hoped,
however, that there would be some willing to evaluate snapshots, and
more importantly, offer critique.

> On page http://www.mingw.org/wiki/InstallationHOWTOforMinGW I would
> totally remove the section "Manual Installation". Only point to
> mingw-get (gui). Manual installation is of the past.

Agreed.  Only use of mingw-get should be documented there.  However, for
now that must still cover only the CLI variant; documentation of the GUI
can follow when it matures sufficiently.

Re: mingw-get GUI

waterlan
Keith Marshall schreef, Op 28-1-2013 23:05:
> On 28/01/13 21:36, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>
>> Where can I get it?
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/keithmarshall.u/files/mingw-get/mingw-get-0.6-mingw32-hg-20121224-1-bxz.zip/download
>
> Unzip that into your MinGW root, (assuming CLI mingw-get itself uses
> that same root), then run
>
>     $ mingw-get install mingw-get-gui

I tried it. At first it was stopped by the virus scanner (F-Secure). I
had to turn off 'Deep Guard'. See
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/tmp/mingw-get-gui.jpg
After that mingw-get gui ran fine. I installed several packages without
problems.

It would be nice if I could select a specific version to install.

I would also prefer a more compact list of packages, by hiding all the
different classes. By default one check-box per package that installs
all classes, to keep it simple. I think it is good to install by default
the accompanying documentation and so on. You could have an switch to
turn on an "expanded view" in which you can see and select all the
individual classes of a package.

>> Perhaps there should be a direct link on the front page mingw.org (like
>> setup.exe on Cygwin's page).
> Eventually, yes, but we're not ready for that yet.
>
>> And the Download button on sourceforge/projects/mingw could point to
>> mingw-get gui instead of mingw-get-inst.
> Ultimately, it will point to mingw-get-setup.exe, (a UPX packed .exe,
> with much tighter integration with mingw-get itself, than we currently
> have with mingw-get-inst), but again, we're not ready for that yet.
>
>> On pagehttp://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started  the section "Graphical
>> User Interface Installer" points to mingw-get-inst instead of a
>> mingw-get gui.
> Which remains the preferred method, for normal users; I had hoped,
> however, that there would be some willing to evaluate snapshots, and
> more importantly, offer critique.

You could mention on the wiki there is an _experimental_ mingw-get gui
now (Instead of the manual installation section). Mention that feedback
is appreciated. Some new mingw users may try it out. Your message in
mingw-users may have scrolled out of sight, and the old-time list
members are probably already used to mingw-get cli.

regards,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Keith Marshall wrote:

> On 28/01/13 21:36, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>> Keith Marshall schreef, Op 28-1-2013 21:26:
>>> [*] I'm assuming that you are not using the GUI snapshot of mingw-get,
>>> which I posted just before Christmas. Only 10 users (worldwide) have
>>> shown sufficient interest to download, and not a single comment! Very
>>> discouraging; I almost wonder if it's worth progressing it further.
>>
>> I think it is not visible to most people. I missed it.
>
> It was a development snapshot, on sf.net/u/keithmarshall, with a public
> announcement on MinGW-Users, to gauge user interest.

I missed it too.  Actually was away for business just before Christmas
and perhaps just didn't read carefully enough.  Perhaps a repeat on
mingw-users of the announcement may be beneficial.

>> Where can I get it?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/keithmarshall.u/files/mingw-get/mingw-get-0.6-mingw32-hg-20121224-1-bxz.zip/download
>
> Unzip that into your MinGW root, (assuming CLI mingw-get itself uses
> that same root), then run
>
>    $ mingw-get install mingw-get-gui

I'll give this a try tomorrow.

Re: mingw-get GUI

On 28/01/13 23:02, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> Keith Marshall schreef, Op 28-1-2013 23:05:
>>
>>  $ mingw-get install mingw-get-gui
>
> I tried it. At first it was stopped by the virus scanner (F-Secure). I
> had to turn off 'Deep Guard'. See
> http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/tmp/mingw-get-gui.jpg

This is unfortunate, but there's really not much I can do about an
overly zealous virus scanner reporting a false positive; perhaps you
could take that up with your supplier?

> After that mingw-get gui ran fine. I installed several packages without
> problems.

Good.  (I guess you didn't trip over the critical bug, which I've since
tracked down, and fixed; time for a new snapshot, methinks).

> It would be nice if I could select a specific version to install.

You can do this already, from the CLI.  It's on my round tuit list of
GUI features to be added, but there are more critical issues to address
first.

> I would also prefer a more compact list of packages, by hiding all the
> different classes. By default one check-box per package that installs
> all classes, to keep it simple.

The as yet unimplemented tree view, (in the left hand pane), will offer
a more fine grained selection of packages, (but this will be filtered by
package category, rather than by component classes).

> I think it is good to install by default
> the accompanying documentation and so on. You could have an switch to
> turn on an "expanded view" in which you can see and select all the
> individual classes of a package.

The CLI does this, if you specify a package name without a qualifying
component class, but that capability doesn't fit so cleanly within the
GUI paradigm; (how do you display installed version, if the user has a
mismatch within a set of components for a given package?)  I'll give it
some thought, but it may languish on the "too hard pile" for some time.

> You could mention on the wiki there is an _experimental_ mingw-get gui
> now (Instead of the manual installation section). Mention that feedback
> is appreciated. Some new mingw users may try it out. Your message in
> mingw-users may have scrolled out of sight, and the old-time list
> members are probably already used to mingw-get cli.

I've left the manual installation section, for now, but with an added
recommendation to avoid it; I have added some information on using GUI
development snapshots.

Re: mingw-get GUI

waterlan
Keith Marshall schreef, Op 29-1-2013 14:43:
> On 28/01/13 23:02, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>> Keith Marshall schreef, Op 28-1-2013 23:05:
>>>   $ mingw-get install mingw-get-gui
>> I tried it. At first it was stopped by the virus scanner (F-Secure). I
>> had to turn off 'Deep Guard'. See
>> http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/tmp/mingw-get-gui.jpg
> This is unfortunate, but there's really not much I can do about an
> overly zealous virus scanner reporting a false positive; perhaps you
> could take that up with your supplier?

Perhaps it will go away with the next version. I have seen this also a
few times on intermediate versions of my own software.

>> After that mingw-get gui ran fine. I installed several packages without
>> problems.
> Good.  (I guess you didn't trip over the critical bug, which I've since
> tracked down, and fixed; time for a new snapshot, methinks).
>
>> It would be nice if I could select a specific version to install.
> You can do this already, from the CLI.  It's on my round tuit list of
> GUI features to be added, but there are more critical issues to address
> first.
>
>> I would also prefer a more compact list of packages, by hiding all the
>> different classes. By default one check-box per package that installs
>> all classes, to keep it simple.
> The as yet unimplemented tree view, (in the left hand pane), will offer
> a more fine grained selection of packages, (but this will be filtered by
> package category, rather than by component classes).
>
>> I think it is good to install by default
>> the accompanying documentation and so on. You could have an switch to
>> turn on an "expanded view" in which you can see and select all the
>> individual classes of a package.
> The CLI does this, if you specify a package name without a qualifying
> component class, but that capability doesn't fit so cleanly within the
> GUI paradigm; (how do you display installed version, if the user has a
> mismatch within a set of components for a given package?)  I'll give it
> some thought, but it may languish on the "too hard pile" for some time.

I think that the gui version does not need all the features of the cli
version. I would say: leave the complex stuff to the cli version, and
keep de gui version simple (in the beginning). A simple gui version will
save you a lot of work to create a stable version, and will not scare
off first time users. You can extend later when you get more user
feedback when people start using it.

Perhaps you can keep mingw-get gui as it is now. Perhaps the problem is
that the xml catalogue files are in many cases overly complex, and we
have too many lzma packages. For instance: what's the point in having a
separate bin, doc, and lic class for dos2unix? I could as well put all
of them together in a single bin package. This way the list in
mingw-get-inst becomes smaller. For some packages it is natural to have
a separate packages like bin and dev. But for many a single bin package
would suffice. In Cygwin it is done the same way. For many packages
there is only a single bin package that includes binaries,
documentation, license files and so on. There are no separate "lic"
packages in Cygwin.

regards,