RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Earnie Boyd
I am pleased to announce the availability of gcc-4.8.1 for update or
install.  The package is broken into its many parts as usual with the
exception that library DLL are package with each primary section
rather than as a separate package.

Note: This package does not take care of the LFS issue reported on the
list. I might take care of it in a subsequent release but it was not
in scope for the present time.

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Yongwei Wu
Hi Earnie,

After typing the following commands:

mingw-get upgrade mingw32-gcc
mingw-get upgrade mingw32-gcc-g++

I was unable to compile a simple HelloWorld. I got errors like:

HelloWorld.cpp:1:20: fatal error: iostream: No such file or directory
 #include <iostream>
                    ^
compilation terminated.

Using -v reveals:

ignoring nonexistent directory
"c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include/c++"
ignoring nonexistent directory
"c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include/c++/mingw32"
ignoring nonexistent directory
"c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include/c++/backward"
ignoring nonexistent directory
"c:/mingw/lib/gcc/../../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include/c++"
ignoring nonexistent directory
"c:/mingw/lib/gcc/../../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include/c++/mingw32"
ignoring nonexistent directory
"c:/mingw/lib/gcc/../../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include/c++/backward"
ignoring duplicate directory
"c:/mingw/lib/gcc/../../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include"
ignoring nonexistent directory "i:/p/giaw/mingw/include"
ignoring duplicate directory "/mingw/include"
ignoring duplicate directory
"c:/mingw/lib/gcc/../../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include-fixed"
ignoring duplicate directory
"c:/mingw/lib/gcc/../../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../mingw32/include"
ignoring duplicate directory "/mingw/include"
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include
 c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../include
 c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include-fixed
 c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../mingw32/include

However, the file iostream is actually located in
C:\mingw\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.8.1\c++ and
C:\mingw\mingw32\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.8.1\include\c++. The first path is
close enough, but the "include" part is missing.

After moving the first c++ directory into the peer include directory,
compilation passes. But then I find I cannot run the program, because
libstdc++-6.dll is missing. I actually removed the package because I
read this:

Package: mingw32-libstdc++                            Subsystem: mingw32
Components: dll

The GNU C++ Compiler Runtime Library
------------------------------------

This package provides the MinGW implementation  of  the  shared  runtime
library  for  the  GNU C++ language compiler; you must install it if you
wish to use this compiler.

This is a freely redistributable library; it is required  by,  (and  you
must  distribute  it  with),  any  application  compiled  by the GNU C++
language compiler,  unless  support  for  shared  runtime  libraries  is
explicitly disabled when building.

NOTE: As of gcc-4.8.1 release this library is delivered in the -dll file
of the gcc-c++ package.

Installing mingw32-libstdc++
(libstdc++-4.7.2-1-mingw32-dll-6.tar.lzma) back solves the problem,
but I am not whether this is correct or not. I cannot find a
gcc-c++-dll package or something similar.

So I think there are packaging problems and/or information correctness
problems. Please have a look.

Best regards,

Yongwei

--
Wu Yongwei

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Earnie Boyd
On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Yongwei Wu wrote:

> Hi Earnie,
>
> After typing the following commands:
>
> mingw-get upgrade mingw32-gcc
> mingw-get upgrade mingw32-gcc-g++
>
> I was unable to compile a simple HelloWorld. I got errors like:
>

> HelloWorld.cpp:1:20: fatal error: iostream: No such file or directory
>  #include <iostream>
>                     ^
> compilation terminated.

I found my packaging issue.  I'm working to repackage and test and
will have a corrected package up ASAP.

> Using -v reveals:
>
> ignoring nonexistent directory
> "c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include/c++"
> ignoring nonexistent directory

This got copied as lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/c++ as a result of the packaging bug.

Sorry for the issue.

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Earnie Boyd
On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Yongwei Wu wrote:
>> Hi Earnie,
>>
>> After typing the following commands:
>>
>> mingw-get upgrade mingw32-gcc
>> mingw-get upgrade mingw32-gcc-g++
>>
>> I was unable to compile a simple HelloWorld. I got errors like:
>>

>> HelloWorld.cpp:1:20: fatal error: iostream: No such file or directory
>>  #include <iostream>
>>                     ^
>> compilation terminated.
>>

> I found my packaging issue.  I'm working to repackage and test and
> will have a corrected package up ASAP.
>

>> Using -v reveals:
>>
>> ignoring nonexistent directory
>> "c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include/c++"
>> ignoring nonexistent directory
>
> This got copied as lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/c++ as a result of the packaging bug.
>
> Sorry for the issue.

I am in the process of uploading a fix.  You should wait until I
announce the fixed release is uploaded before installing.

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Earnie Boyd
On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Yongwei Wu wrote:
>>> Hi Earnie,
>>>
>>> After typing the following commands:
>>>
>>> mingw-get upgrade mingw32-gcc
>>> mingw-get upgrade mingw32-gcc-g++
>>>
>>> I was unable to compile a simple HelloWorld. I got errors like:
>>>

>>> HelloWorld.cpp:1:20: fatal error: iostream: No such file or directory
>>>  #include <iostream>
>>>                     ^
>>> compilation terminated.
>>>

>> I found my packaging issue.  I'm working to repackage and test and
>> will have a corrected package up ASAP.
>>

>>> Using -v reveals:
>>>
>>> ignoring nonexistent directory
>>> "c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/include/c++"
>>> ignoring nonexistent directory
>>
>> This got copied as lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/c++ as a result of the packaging bug.
>>
>> Sorry for the issue.
>
> I am in the process of uploading a fix.  You should wait until I
> announce the fixed release is uploaded before installing.

The upload of the fixed packages is now complete.  You should wait a
few hours for mirror copying to occur.

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Yongwei Wu
On 2 September 2013 21:29, Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> This got copied as lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/c++ as a result of the packaging bug.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the issue.
>>
>> I am in the process of uploading a fix.  You should wait until I
>> announce the fixed release is uploaded before installing.
>
> The upload of the fixed packages is now complete.  You should wait a
> few hours for mirror copying to occur.

Thanks, Earnie. Verified and working well!

Best regards,

Yongwei

--
Wu Yongwei

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Peter Rosin
On 2013-09-02 15:29, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> I am in the process of uploading a fix.  You should wait until I
>> announce the fixed release is uploaded before installing.
>
> The upload of the fixed packages is now complete.  You should wait a
> few hours for mirror copying to occur.

Hmmm, I too managed to install the broken 4.8.1-1 before being alerted
that it was broken, and now I find that all 4.8.1-1 files at sf are newer
than my files. How do I update my broken install?

Why didn't you do a 4.8.1-2?

Cheers,
Peter

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 4:31 AM, Peter Rosin wrote:

> On 2013-09-02 15:29, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>> I am in the process of uploading a fix.  You should wait until I
>>> announce the fixed release is uploaded before installing.
>>
>> The upload of the fixed packages is now complete.  You should wait a
>> few hours for mirror copying to occur.
>
> Hmmm, I too managed to install the broken 4.8.1-1 before being alerted
> that it was broken, and now I find that all 4.8.1-1 files at sf are newer
> than my files. How do I update my broken install?

delete the gcc 4.8.1 files in /mingw/var/cache/mingw-get/packages
mingw-get update --reinstall gcc-core gcc-g++

> Why didn't you do a 4.8.1-2?

I thought about it and maybe should have but thought that it would be
better to provide the original in the fastest time possible.  The -2
would have take longer to update on my end.

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Peter Rosin
On 2013-09-03 12:44, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 4:31 AM, Peter Rosin wrote:
>>>
>>> The upload of the fixed packages is now complete.  You should wait a
>>> few hours for mirror copying to occur.
>>
>> Hmmm, I too managed to install the broken 4.8.1-1 before being alerted
>> that it was broken, and now I find that all 4.8.1-1 files at sf are newer
>> than my files. How do I update my broken install?
>>

> delete the gcc 4.8.1 files in /mingw/var/cache/mingw-get/packages
> mingw-get update --reinstall gcc-core gcc-g++

Nope, no disco, at least not here. It updates the catalogs and then seems
to stop without reinstalling anything. I have tried to find a reinstall
action in the (otherwise excellent) mingw-get GUI, but that option is
always disabled over here.

>> Why didn't you do a 4.8.1-2?
>
> I thought about it and maybe should have but thought that it would be
> better to provide the original in the fastest time possible.  The -2
> would have take longer to update on my end.

Re-releasing something new with an old filename is always a mistake. It
will, at least in my experience, invariably come back to haunt you.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Peter Rosin wrote:

> On 2013-09-03 12:44, Earnie Boyd wrote:

>>> Hmmm, I too managed to install the broken 4.8.1-1 before being alerted
>>> that it was broken, and now I find that all 4.8.1-1 files at sf are newer
>>> than my files. How do I update my broken install?
>>>

>> delete the gcc 4.8.1 files in /mingw/var/cache/mingw-get/packages
>> mingw-get update --reinstall gcc-core gcc-g++
>
> Nope, no disco, at least not here. It updates the catalogs and then seems
> to stop without reinstalling anything. I have tried to find a reinstall
> action in the (otherwise excellent) mingw-get GUI, but that option is
> always disabled over here.

Sorry, it is mingw-get upgrade --reinstall gcc-core gcc-g++.  I get
confused with update/upgrade even when I type the thing.

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Uwe Rossow-2
Am 03.09.2013 13:19, schrieb Earnie Boyd:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Peter Rosin wrote:
>>>>
>>> delete the gcc 4.8.1 files in /mingw/var/cache/mingw-get/packages
>>> mingw-get update --reinstall gcc-core gcc-g++
>> Nope, no disco, at least not here. It updates the catalogs and then seems
>> to stop without reinstalling anything. I have tried to find a reinstall
>> action in the (otherwise excellent) mingw-get GUI, but that option is
>> always disabled over here.
>>
> Sorry, it is mingw-get upgrade --reinstall gcc-core gcc-g++.  I get
> confused with update/upgrade even when I type the thing.

I used the gui and manually used "mark for removal" and installed again
mingw32-gcc.
I was able to compile and link a hello world under windows and it
produced a window as before.

Regards
Uwe

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

On 3 September 2013 12:16, Peter Rosin wrote:
I have tried to find a reinstall action in the (otherwise excellent)
mingw-get GUI, but that option is always disabled over here.

I haven't figured out how to implement it yet.  In the CLI, the
--reinstall option sets a global flag which applies to every named
package with an install action scheduled.  In the GUI, it's concievable
that you may want to mark several packages for a single "apply", but
want only some of them to be subject to a reinstall action.  Thus, that
flag needs to apply at the individual package level; I need to adapt
the scheduling infrastructure to accommodate that.

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Peter Rosin
On 2013-09-03 14:00, Uwe Rossow wrote:

> Am 03.09.2013 13:19, schrieb Earnie Boyd:

>>> Nope, no disco, at least not here. It updates the catalogs and then seems
>>> to stop without reinstalling anything. I have tried to find a reinstall
>>> action in the (otherwise excellent) mingw-get GUI, but that option is
>>> always disabled over here.
>>>
>> Sorry, it is mingw-get upgrade --reinstall gcc-core gcc-g++.  I get
>> confused with update/upgrade even when I type the thing.
>>

> I used the gui and manually used "mark for removal" and installed again
> mingw32-gcc.
> I was able to compile and link a hello world under windows and it
> produced a window as before.

That was part of my initial attempts, but now that I think about is some
more that probably fizzled since I didn't zap the cached files prior to
the remove/install. Oh well, it works for me now. Thanks!

Cheers,
Peter

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

GeorgeGillan
Earnie,

I understand that you fixed the MinGW installer but there is still a problem. The basic installation of the C compiler works, but the other compilers in the 'basic setup' section (C++, ObjC, Fortran, Ada) do not install correctly when selected. They download fine, but during the installation routine there are thousands upon thousands of messages about not being able to replace an existing file. After a long time, Windows reports that the installer has stopped running and is being terminated.

This happens on a Windows 8 laptop and on a Windows 7 desktop. BTW, the first try on the desktop was updating those packages from a successful installation done just a few days before 4.8.1-1 was released. The update yielded the same errors as a new installation. The laptop was a new installation.

Regards,
George

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

Chris Sparks
GeorgeGillan wrote:
> Earnie,
>
> I understand that you fixed the MinGW installer but there is still a
> problem. The basic installation of the C compiler works, but the other
> compilers in the 'basic setup' section (C++, ObjC, Fortran, Ada) do not
> install correctly when selected. They download fine, but during the
> installation routine there are thousands upon thousands of messages about
> not being able to replace an existing file. After a long time, Windows
> reports that the installer has stopped running and is being terminated.
I started fresh and got the same.  I thought it was because I pick both
binary and devel versions of the compilers.  My installer worked as I am
on Windows XP 64

Chris

Re: RELEASE: gcc-4.8.1

On 6 September 2013 04:09, GeorgeGillan wrote:
I understand that [Earnie] fixed the MinGW installer ...

Alas, it was only a partial fix.

but there is still a
problem. The basic installation of the C compiler works, but the other
compilers in the 'basic setup' section (C++, ObjC, Fortran, Ada) do not
install correctly when selected. They download fine, but during the
installation routine there are thousands upon thousands of messages about
not being able to replace an existing file.

After a long time, Windows
reports that the installer has stopped running and is being terminated.

(an entirely separate issue, which the packaging bug has triggered).