Re: FW: How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

Re: FW: How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

Max T. Woodbury
Progress report:

I'm giving up on 'flex' out of SourceForge for the moment and going back
the Cygwin kit.  The problem is that the newer versions of 'flex' require
a working 'flex' to build.  The Cygwin version is ancient 2.5.4a vs 2.5.31
for the latest on SourceForge, but it does NOT require an extant 'flex'.
What is a real joker is that the EARLIEST version of 'flex' on SourceForge
is 2.5.5b!  I'll go with the Cygwin kit for now, but if someone drops me
a link to a CVS repository that contains 4a, I'll try it.  Otherwise that
search goes on the 'maybe later, maybe never' list.

With a working 'flex' I've built the descriptors for all the rest of the
packages in the MSYS-1.0.11 kit (a.k.a -D '2004-04-30 18:55' from CVS).
I've put all of them in the package build list and will turn the machine
loose tonight to find where things do not work.  I know 'tar' at least will
go belly up since I haven't done 'bison' from scratch yet.

A note on 'flex' for those who want to duplicate this effort (and I think
I've said this before, so please forgive me if I'm repeating myself) --
it has to be built in its own source tree.  It looks like it should build
in a side directory like most packages, but it blows up if you try it.

Current successful build list --

cw-flex    msys-bash  msys-m4       msys-texinfo
msys-base  msys-less  msys-termcap  sf-byacc

(That's bash 2.04 fyi.)

Re: FW: How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

Mark Junker
Max T. Woodbury schrieb:

>Progress report:
>
>I'm giving up on 'flex' out of SourceForge for the moment and going back
>the Cygwin kit.

That's strange. Building flex worked here. The only things you have to
do is:

1. Compile and install a working regex

  The one from the debian site is quite good and works out of the box.
Don't forget to install the latest regex patch.

2. Compile flex

export CFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
export CCFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
export CPPFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
export CXXFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
export CFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
export LIBS="-lregex"
./configure --prefix=/. --build=i686-pc-mingw32

That's it (IMHO).

The main problem with I had with flex was that the regex in msys-1.0.dll
is badly broken.

Regards,
Mark

Re: FW: How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

Michael S. Zick
On Tue June 7 2005 01:12, Max T. Woodbury wrote:

> Progress report:
>
> I'm giving up on 'flex' out of SourceForge for the moment and going back
> the Cygwin kit.  The problem is that the newer versions of 'flex' require
> a working 'flex' to build.  The Cygwin version is ancient 2.5.4a vs 2.5.31
> for the latest on SourceForge, but it does NOT require an extant 'flex'.
> What is a real joker is that the EARLIEST version of 'flex' on SourceForge
> is 2.5.5b!  I'll go with the Cygwin kit for now, but if someone drops me
> a link to a CVS repository that contains 4a, I'll try it.  Otherwise that
> search goes on the 'maybe later, maybe never' list.

It moved from "gnu" to "non-gnu"
<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu/flex/>

Mike

On 7:11:31 am 2005-06-07 Mark Junker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Max T. Woodbury schrieb:
>
> > Progress report:
> >
> > I'm giving up on 'flex' out of SourceForge for the moment and going
> > back the Cygwin kit.
> >
> That's strange. Building flex worked here. The only things you have
> to do is:
>
> 1. Compile and install a working regex
>
>   The one from the debian site is quite good and works out of the
> box. Don't forget to install the latest regex patch.
>
> 2. Compile flex
>
> export CFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
> export CCFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
> export CPPFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
> export CXXFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
> export CFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"

These should not be needed as __MINGW32__ is defined by the compiler.

> export LIBS="-lregex"
> ./configure --prefix=/. --build=i686-pc-mingw32
>

> That's it (IMHO).
>
> The main problem with I had with flex was that the regex in
> msys-1.0.dll is badly broken.

Regex in msys-1.0.dll?  You shouldn't be using msys-1.0.dll for a native
build.  What do you mean?

       MinGW - http://www.mingw.org/
        Wiki - http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/
  Bug Report - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2435&atid=102435
Submit Patch - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2435&atid=302435
  SF Project - http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw
 Job Listing - http://sf.net/people/viewjob.php?group_id=2435&job_id=21643
 Job Listing - http://sf.net/people/viewjob.php?group_id=46778&job_id=22223

Earnie Boyd schrieb:

>Regex in msys-1.0.dll?  You shouldn't be using msys-1.0.dll for a native
>build.  What do you mean?

Ahhh ... sorry ... I thought you tried to compile flex as MSYS
application (see topic) ...

Regards,
Mark

On Tue June 7 2005 20:17, Mark Junker wrote:
> Earnie Boyd schrieb:
>
> >Regex in msys-1.0.dll?  You shouldn't be using msys-1.0.dll for a native
> >build.  What do you mean?
> >

> Ahhh ... sorry ... I thought you tried to compile flex as MSYS
> application (see topic) ...

Yup, it does get confusing.
The msys environment is a mingw (A.K.A: win-native) thingy.

I suppose that applications to run under msys would be target=msys;
and would target the msys.dll;
but don't quote me on that, I haven't looked and I am tired.

The things compiled target=mingw target the MS C Runtime Library.
The tool chain also supports x86-64, which would be target=mingw64
which you will not find anywhere yet.

That might have to change to target=ia64win and target=amd64win since
server-2003 SDK makes that distinction to run on x86, ia64 and amd64.

Then there is also a target=mingw32 - which I believe is the
windows-95/98/me flavor that targets the win32 sub-system;
I could be wrong on this one also.

Mike

On 1:17:07 am 2005-06-08 Mark Junker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Earnie Boyd schrieb:
>
> > Regex in msys-1.0.dll?  You shouldn't be using msys-1.0.dll for a
> > native build.  What do you mean?
> >

> Ahhh ... sorry ... I thought you tried to compile flex as MSYS
> application (see topic) ...

The example you gave was for building as the __MINGW32__ native version
correct?  Defining __MINGW32__ for __MSYS__ sounds a bit ominous to me.

How about a patch to correct what you say is broken with MSYS?

Mark Junker wrote:

> Max T. Woodbury schrieb:
>
> >Progress report:
> >
> >I'm giving up on 'flex' out of SourceForge for the moment and going back
> >the Cygwin kit.
> >
> That's strange. Building flex worked here. The only things you have to
> do is:
>
> 1. Compile and install a working regex
>
>   The one from the debian site is quite good and works out of the box.
> Don't forget to install the latest regex patch.
>
> 2. Compile flex
>
> export CFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
> export CCFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
> export CPPFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
> export CXXFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
> export CFLAGS="-D__MINGW32__"
> export LIBS="-lregex"
> ./configure --prefix=/. --build=i686-pc-mingw32
>
> That's it (IMHO).
>
> The main problem with I had with flex was that the regex in msys-1.0.dll
> is badly broken.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

This is more than a bit strange.  I'm still groggy this morning so I could
easily be mistaken, but I'm trying to locate active CVS sources for things,
not just tarballs.  GNU (or non-GNU) has tarballs for 'flex' but no CVS IIRC
while there seems to be an active CVS repository for 'flex' on SourceForge.
I would really like to try to get a good build from the SourceForge CVS
but that archive does not go back to the 'known good' 2.5.4a point.  The
latest (2.5.31) requires more than a little jiggery-pokery and still can't
find all the headers it needs.

I got the Cygwin kit (i.e. a tarball) to build under MSYS with only a generic
fix to the /share/automake-1.7/config.guess and /share/automake-1.7/config.sub
files.  (A basic change so that 'automake' and 'autoconf' thinks MSYS is
'posix'y.)

Progress Report --

I did a deeper than usual ream-out and freed some extra disk space, did
Spyware and Virus scans and defraged the drive.  (I found a recent article
on all the different scans that 'knowledgeable' people use.  I'm missing
a couple at the moment...)

There's a version of 'df' in the fileutils kit.  It compiles and runs but
produces wrong numbers for local drives under some circumstances.  Network
drives seem to be OK.  It might be a 2GB (31 bit) limit of some kind...

I started a complete rebuild shortly after one --

Started at Wed Jun  8 01:04:01 EDT 2005
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
c:                     2096832         0   2096832   0% /c
Starting to install msysDVLPR-1.0.0-alpha-1 for MSys at Wed Jun  8 01:04:05 EDT 2005
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
c:                     2096832         0   2096832   0% /c
Finished installing msysDVLPR-1.0.0-alpha-1 at Wed Jun  8 01:05:14 EDT 2005
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
c:                     2096832         0   2096832   0% /c
Starting to apply patch termios_h at Wed Jun  8 01:05:18 EDT 2005

It just stopped cranking a few minutes ago --

Finished final cleanup at Wed Jun  8 08:46:41 EDT 2005
Finished at Wed Jun  8 08:46:44 EDT 2005
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
c:                     2096832         0   2096832   0% /c

and produced

cw-flex    msys-bzip2      msys-findutils  msys-less  msys-sh-utils  sf-byacc
msys-base  msys-diffutils  msys-gawk       msys-m4    msys-termcap
msys-bash  msys-fileutils  msys-grep       msys-sed   msys-texinfo

I need to fix the msys-sh-utils build since it doesn't put '.exe' on anything.
I've also got to add a piece that saves the unstripped .exe and then strips
them.  (Earnie:  What parameters did you use for strip? '-S', '-SX' ...)

I've done a successful msys-rxvt build by hand so I should be able to get
that on the list PDQ.

'gzip' has a problem with 'struct option' (or something like that) being
defined in two different headers.

'tar' insists on 'bison', which I should be able to reconstruct since
I got both 'byacc' and 'flex' to build.

I haven't done anything but note that the /bin directory was empty for
'textutils' and 'vim'.  I think I got both of those up with a little
fiddling before.  Now I just have to get the details 'on paper'.

The 'bash' build has not configuration options specified and I suspect
that at least some should be.  I'll try to find the method where the
build options actually used can be extracted from the executable, but
if someone can save me that particular search, it might speed things
up a bit.

Also, the resulting builds contain a number of additional pieces that
did NOT get included in any distribution, like the libtermcap.a out
of the termcap package and ALL the 'info' and 'man' files.

It looks like this phase will end soon.  Next will be a 'MinGW' 3.1.0-1
kit reconstruction, then the msys-DTK and msysDVLPR kits and some other
odd pieces.  That should establish a firm foundation for fixing
problems...

Max

Earnie Boyd schrieb:

>The example you gave was for building as the __MINGW32__ native version
>correct?  Defining __MINGW32__ for __MSYS__ sounds a bit ominous to me.

This isn't needed for flex but for some other projects that use the
__MINGW32__ to detect a windows platform.

>How about a patch to correct what you say is broken with MSYS?

Hmm ... too bad but I simply don't have time to do this (yet) because I
have to finish another project immediately. However, I noticed two
problems (at least with 1.0.10):

1. regex is not fully supported (compared to the regex library from
debian ... and required by flex)
2. some regex debug output is shown
3. compiling applications with -lc causes errors about duplicate symbol
definitions

Regards,
Mark