Re: [Mingw-users] find lacks -L option

Andrew Pennebaker
I would like `find` to follow the /c/ (C:\) link, where I keep most of my data, but the version of `find` included seems to lack the -L option.

Could we update MSYS's `find`?

$ find --help
Usage: find [path...] [expression]
default path is the current directory; default expression is -print
expression may consist of:
operators (decreasing precedence; -and is implicit where no others are given):
      ( EXPR ) ! EXPR -not EXPR EXPR1 -a EXPR2 EXPR1 -and EXPR2
      EXPR1 -o EXPR2 EXPR1 -or EXPR2 EXPR1 , EXPR2
options (always true): -daystart -depth -follow --help
      -maxdepth LEVELS -mindepth LEVELS -mount -noleaf --version -xdev
tests (N can be +N or -N or N): -amin N -anewer FILE -atime N -cmin N
      -cnewer FILE -ctime N -empty -false -fstype TYPE -gid N -group NAME
      -ilname PATTERN -iname PATTERN -inum N -ipath PATTERN -iregex PATTERN
      -links N -lname PATTERN -mmin N -mtime N -name PATTERN -newer FILE
      -nouser -nogroup -path PATTERN -perm [+-]MODE -regex PATTERN
      -size N[bckw] -true -type [bcdpfls] -uid N -used N -user NAME
      -xtype [bcdpfls]
actions: -exec COMMAND ; -fprint FILE -fprint0 FILE -fprintf FILE FORMAT
      -ok COMMAND ; -print -print0 -printf FORMAT -prune -ls
apenneba@NIC-WKS01 ~/Desktop

$ find --help | ack "-L"
ack: No regular expression found.

$ specs find bash git os
Specs:

specs 0.4

find --version
GNU find version 4.1

bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.1.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)

git --version
git version 1.8.0.msysgit.0

systeminfo | findstr /B /C:"OS Name" /C:"OS Version"
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version:                5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker

Re: [Mingw-users] find lacks -L option

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> I would like `find` to follow the /c/ (C:\) link, where I keep most of my
> data, but the version of `find` included seems to lack the -L option.

/c is not a symlink to C:\ it is a mapping of Windows semantics to
POSIX semantics.  You should be able to use ``find /c ...'' without
needing -L.

Re: [Mingw-users] find lacks -L option

Andrew Pennebaker

You should be able to use ``find /c ...'' without
needing -L.

Yes, this works :)

I just wish I could search from root without worrying about such things. Ordinarly, I'd alias find to find -L in my bash profile, but until MSYS find gets support for the -L flag, that particular solution is unavailable.

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker