Re: [PATCH] Support MSYS2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [PATCH] Support MSYS2

Peter Rosin
[ mingw-users: this is in reply to a suggested patch (1) ]

On 2015-07-23 19:30, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
> when using the MSYS2 shell (http://msys2.github.io/), uname -o returns Msys instead of mingw32. The latest versions of config.guess and config.sub already support that, but Libtool doesn't. Here's a patch to add that support.

This does not feel correct as a quick glance. Are you sure you
understand what you are doing?

In normal operation, I would have assumed that msys2 returns
mingw-something and that any msys mode was a special case for
building binaries with the cygwin/posix emulation layer, but
you are adding msys to a bunch of places which are mingw-only.
So, it all feels fishy.

Also, how does this affect msys1?

Cheers,
Peter

(1) http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2015-07/msg00003.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [PATCH] Support MSYS2

Greg Jung
In all three of my msys2 XXX_shell.bat shells, uname -o answers Msys.
in msys-1, uname -o answers Msys

The query that gets you to mingw32 is "uname -s"

In MSYS2:
greg@Homerw7 MSYS ~
$ uname -s
MSYS_NT-6.1

greg@Homerw7 MINGW32 ~
$ uname -s
MINGW32_NT-6.1

greg@Homerw7 MINGW64 ~
$ uname -s
MINGW64_NT-6.1

In Mingw/MSYS from mingw.org:
greg@Homerw7 ~
$ uname -s
MINGW32_NT-6.1

In Cygwin it looks like so:

greg@Homerw7 ~
$ uname -o
Cygwin

greg@Homerw7 ~
$ uname -s
CYGWIN_NT-6.1


On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Peter Rosin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[ mingw-users: this is in reply to a suggested patch (1) ]

On 2015-07-23 19:30, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
> when using the MSYS2 shell (http://msys2.github.io/), uname -o returns Msys instead of mingw32. The latest versions of config.guess and config.sub already support that, but Libtool doesn't. Here's a patch to add that support.

This does not feel correct as a quick glance. Are you sure you
understand what you are doing?

In normal operation, I would have assumed that msys2 returns
mingw-something and that any msys mode was a special case for
building binaries with the cygwin/posix emulation layer, but
you are adding msys to a bunch of places which are mingw-only.
So, it all feels fishy.

Also, how does this affect msys1?

Cheers,
Peter

(1) http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2015-07/msg00003.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [PATCH] Support MSYS2

Peter Rosin
On 2015-07-24 23:32, Greg Jung wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Peter Rosin <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     [ mingw-users: this is in reply to a suggested patch (1) ]
>>
>>     On 2015-07-23 19:30, [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>>     > Hello,
>>     > when using the MSYS2 shell (http://msys2.github.io/), uname -o returns Msys instead of mingw32. The latest versions of config.guess and config.sub already support that, but Libtool doesn't. Here's a patch to add that support.
>>
>>     This does not feel correct as a quick glance. Are you sure you
>>     understand what you are doing?
>>
>>     In normal operation, I would have assumed that msys2 returns
>>     mingw-something and that any msys mode was a special case for
>>     building binaries with the cygwin/posix emulation layer, but
>>     you are adding msys to a bunch of places which are mingw-only.
>>     So, it all feels fishy.
>>
>>     Also, how does this affect msys1?
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Peter
>>
>>     (1) http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2015-07/msg00003.html
> In all three of my msys2 XXX_shell.bat shells, uname -o answers Msys.
> in msys-1, uname -o answers Msys
>
> The query that gets you to mingw32 is "uname -s"
>
> In MSYS2:
> greg@Homerw7 MSYS ~
> $ uname -s
> MSYS_NT-6.1
>
> greg@Homerw7 MINGW32 ~
> $ uname -s
> MINGW32_NT-6.1
>
> greg@Homerw7 MINGW64 ~
> $ uname -s
> MINGW64_NT-6.1
>
> In Mingw/MSYS from mingw.org <http://mingw.org>:
> greg@Homerw7 ~
> $ uname -s
> MINGW32_NT-6.1
>
> In Cygwin it looks like so:
>
> greg@Homerw7 ~
> $ uname -o
> Cygwin
>
> greg@Homerw7 ~
> $ uname -s
> CYGWIN_NT-6.1

Oh, "uname -o". I didn't notice that. But I also do not see any reference
to "uname -o" in the latest config.sub/config.guess. So, someone is
confused. Is it me?

Cheers,
Peter


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Also: mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe