Re: Problems with mingwPORT of FreeType 2.1.9 and configure script.

Re: Problems with mingwPORT of FreeType 2.1.9 and configure script.

Rodrigo Hernandez
Thanks for your help Earnie,

Now, I like the copy approach better to keep it consistent, and that way
it compiles, and links, but
for some reason keeps linking to libfreetype-6.dll, so when run, I get a
DLL not found in path messagebox.

I tried editing libfreetype.la , but that didnt seem to work,
I see no other place referencing the "-6" library other than inside the
DLL itself.

For now, the solution has been to keep copies of the DLL with and
without the -6 sufix.

Thanks again :)

Earnie Boyd wrote:

>On 1:01:01 am 2005-06-04 "Earnie Boyd" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>The /mingw/lib/libfreetype.dll.a is invalid.  Simply ``cp
>>/mingw/bin/libfreetype-6.dll /mingw/lib/libfreetype.dll && rm
>>/mingw/lib/libfreetype.dll.a''.
>>

>You also need to remove /mingw/lib/libfreetype.a.  Hmm... I was mistaken
>about the search order for ld.  You can also do ``-L/mingw/bin
>-lfreetype-6'' if you wish instead of the copy.
>
>Earnie
>
>--
>       MinGW - http://www.mingw.org/
>        Wiki - http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/
>  Bug Report - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2435&atid=102435
>Submit Patch - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2435&atid=302435
>  SF Project - http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw
> Job Listing - http://sf.net/people/viewjob.php?group_id=2435&job_id=21643
> Job Listing - http://sf.net/people/viewjob.php?group_id=46778&job_id=22223

Re: Problems with mingwPORT of FreeType 2.1.9 and configure script.

Earnie Boyd
On 2:19:32 am 2005-06-04 Rodrigo Hernandez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your help Earnie,
>
> Now, I like the copy approach better to keep it consistent, and that
> way it compiles, and links, but

That was my preference.

> for some reason keeps linking to libfreetype-6.dll, so when run, I
> get a DLL not found in path messagebox.

That is because the name of the dll is referenced from within the dll
itself.  Copying the dll doesn't change the symbols in the dll.

> I tried editing libfreetype.la , but that didnt seem to work,
> I see no other place referencing the "-6" library other than inside
> the DLL itself.

It may even be more prudent to remove libfreetype.la.  You can do that when
some version of libtool is complaining. :)  If the libtool support file
doesn't exist, libtool will just link to the library without complaint.

> For now, the solution has been to keep copies of the DLL with and
> without the -6 sufix.

Yes, the with -6 in bin/ and without -6 in lib/.

> Thanks again :)

You're welcome.  I'll take a look at the libtool script.  I need to narrow
it so that it is specific to mingw and does the right thing.