The next "Current" MinGW release

sisyphus1
Hi,
I have a problem with the g77 that comes with MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe (in that
a certain piece of software, having compiled fine, fails one of its tests).
There's no such problem with the g77 that comes with MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe, and
there's no such problem with the g77-3.4.4 binary made available recently at
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435 .

Is it the case that the g77 that's part of MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe will never
become part of any "Current" MinGW release ?
The point is that if it's *never* going to be part of a "Current" release,
then there's no need to investigate the problem ..... right ? But if, at
some stage, it will be part of a "Current" release, then the problem should
be fixed before that happens.

I'm hoping you will tell me that I can forget about that issue - because I
don't know how I'm going to uncover the precise nature of the problem. At
one stage, a few weeks back, I spent a number of hours trying to find out
what was going wrong and got absolutely nowhere.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: The next "Current" MinGW release

Earnie Boyd
On 7:02:44 am 2005-06-05 "Sisyphus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem with the g77 that comes with MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe
> (in that a certain piece of software, having compiled fine, fails one
> of its tests). There's no such problem with the g77 that comes with
> MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe, and there's no such problem with the g77-3.4.4
> binary made available recently at https://sourceforge.net/project/show
> files.php?group_id=2435 .
>
> Is it the case that the g77 that's part of MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe will
> never become part of any "Current" MinGW release ?

The MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe file is no longer available from the file list
page you have given.  It is replaced with the snapshot MinGW-4.0.5.exe

> The point is that if it's *never* going to be part of a "Current"
> release, then there's no need to investigate the problem ..... right
> ? But if, at some stage, it will be part of a "Current" release, then
> the problem should be fixed before that happens.
>
> I'm hoping you will tell me that I can forget about that issue -
> because I don't know how I'm going to uncover the precise nature of
> the problem. At one stage, a few weeks back, I spent a number of
> hours trying to find out what was going wrong and got absolutely
> nowhere.

Forget it.  Use gcc-3.4.4.

Re: The next "Current" MinGW release

sisyphus1

> On 7:02:44 am 2005-06-05 "Sisyphus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Is it the case that the g77 that's part of MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe will
> > never become part of any "Current" MinGW release ?
>
> The MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe file is no longer available from the file list
> page you have given.  It is replaced with the snapshot MinGW-4.0.5.exe

MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe is still available from
http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml and has pride-of-place at the top of the
list of downloads. That's where I originally got the file - and there's
nothing more recent there that I can find.
Is that the preferred site to visit for MinGW ? It's now looking to me that
perhaps it isn't .... but if you google for 'MinGW', then www.mingw.org
shows up as the very first match, and seems a natural place to start.

> Forget it.  Use gcc-3.4.4.

Shall do.
Thanks, Earnie.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: The next "Current" MinGW release

Leif W

Re: The next "Current" MinGW release

Egon Andersen
Leif W wrote:
[snip]
  The MinGW-4.0.5.exe is located waaaay
> down under Snapshots.  It's there.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435
>
> Also, direct link, from the page above.
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-4.0.5.exe?download

The MinGW-4.0.5.exe is only approx 850KB and is only a tool for
downloading the rest.
Aren't the a full-fat package >50MB with all the stuff in one?

The reason I'm asking is that I have to download on a non-Windows
machine and afterwards install the package on Windows-machines.
This is not possible as the executable, when run on a Windows-machine,
expects to be able to connect to the internet - which is not possible!
So I want to have a full package to be able to install it without
contact to the internet.
Could you point me to where I can find such a package?

Best regards
Egon Andersen

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: The next "Current" MinGW release

Leif W
> The MinGW-4.0.5.exe is only approx 850KB and is only a tool for
> downloading the rest.
> Aren't the a full-fat package >50MB with all the stuff in one?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I have to download on a non-Windows
> machine and afterwards install the package on Windows-machines.
> This is not possible as the executable, when run on a Windows-machine,
> expects to be able to connect to the internet - which is not possible!
> So I want to have a full package to be able to install it without
> contact to the internet.
> Could you point me to where I can find such a package?

Ahh, I didn't upgrade in a while and only looked quick, didn't notice.
Yeah that's a valid concern and a common scenario. I don't know where
the full file is located or how the net installer works, if it allows
just downloads or forces install immediately after download.  Looks like
it wants to do some win config stuff before even downloading...  My
guess is you'd have to identify what you need and grab the files and
install them individually.  If someone else knows something easier
please do provide a better answer than me!

Leif

On 2:23:49 pm 2005-06-05 Egon Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Leif W wrote:
> [snip]
>   The MinGW-4.0.5.exe is located waaaay
> >  down under Snapshots.  It's there.
> >
> >  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435
> >
> >  Also, direct link, from the page above.
> >
> >  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-4.0.5.exe?download
>
> The MinGW-4.0.5.exe is only approx 850KB and is only a tool for
> downloading the rest.
> Aren't the a full-fat package >50MB with all the stuff in one?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I have to download on a non-Windows
> machine and afterwards install the package on Windows-machines.
> This is not possible as the executable, when run on a
> Windows-machine, expects to be able to connect to the internet -
> which is not possible! So I want to have a full package to be able to
> install it without contact to the internet.

I'll have to think about allowing the installation from a local disk.  I
don't know if it is possible to do yet.

> Could you point me to where I can find such a package?

At the moment there isn't one.

Sorry,