Torture Rack for msys.dll

Michael S. Zick
Group,
I have expanded my small torture test into
a set of tests.

Baseline is GNU/Bash-2.05b on GNU/Linux
with all scripts executing as intended.

No explicit test of mmap calls yet, but bash
does use mmap calls during start-up.

Tarball unpacks into a 'torture' directory.
Copy of torture.me (the doc) follows inline.

- - - - -

Torture.me

File extensions:
    [none, .win] :
        Dos/Windows text file conventions.
    [.nix] :
        Linux, Unix, *nix text file conventions.
    [.mac] :
        Mac text file conventions.

Scripts:
    readfile [pathname]filename
        May be any format text file.

    ifstest[.nix, .win, .mac]
        Test data for the readfile script.
        (Once was the rxtest script.)
    Known broken under Bash-2.04
    Known good under Bash-2.05b and Bash-3.0-p##
    If output from reading all three ifstest files
    is identical, the cross-platform IFS handling is fixed.
    This is the memory hog of the test scripts.

    rxsleep <SMALL_NUMBER>
        Allocates the user/bash internal shared file descriptors,
        creates two background jobs of itself and sleeps.
        Typically, the parent should die first.

    rxwait <SMALL_NUMBER>
        Allocates the user/bash internal shared file descriptors,
        creates two background jobs of itself and waits for its
        children to die.

    rxsfile <SMALL_NUMBER> <TEXT_FILE_NAME>
        Reads a file to an array with enough elements to hold
        the lines of whatever text file was specified and sleeps.
        Typically, the parent should die first.
        The memory held allocated is controlled by the size of the file.

    rxwfile <SMALL_NUMBER> <TEXT_FILE_NAME>
        This one waits for the children to die first.

    Legend: r (recursive) x (execution) [ s (sleep), w (wait) ] file[reader]

Note 1: Start with small numbers, input X is the X in 2^X jobs.
Note 2: When (not IF, but WHEN) your os breaks;
        you get to keep all of the parts. (A decent RT OS will not break.)
        Keep this in mind if redirecting the output to a disk file.

torture.tgz (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Torture Rack for msys.dll

Michael S. Zick
On Sun June 5 2005 17:26, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> Group,
> I have expanded my small torture test into
> a set of tests.

User update...
Just put this group of tools on the back shelf for
now.

As of msys-1.0.11 there is a loss (leak) of resources
under error conditions.
Conditions which are unlikely to be encountered
outside of an artificial test such as these.

There is a leak of process descriptors under certain
error conditions;
Also, most likely as an artifact of the above, an unrecovered
increase in:
Handles, system swap, non-paged kernel memory (page
table descriptors).

What you can do for now is change two of the knobs in
your system control panel...
(WinXP Home Edition here)

start/control panel/system
tab: advanced
in: Performance, Click: Settings
tab: advanced (really advanced?)
Select the internal system scheme to:
favor: Background Services
favor: System Cache.

What to expect from this change:
Unimportant:
Moves the failure point from ~256 to ~1024 Bash background jobs.

Important:
The system does not lock up - you can still
escape from the situation without pulling the power cord.

Mike