Quantcast

ValGrind and Strace

Michael S. Zick
Group,
Here, I go, answering my own questions again...

ValGrinding msys...
There is a special ValGrind that will trace Wine
and applications running under Wine.
<http://valgrind.org/downloads/variants.html>

Which leads to my next DA question:
Will msys run under Wine?

If no one has experience with that setup, I'll
put it on my "things to try" list.

Stracing msys...
Strace intercepts system calls (I knew that), so
it is very system specific.
Strace also has 'helper functions' in the kernel
(I knew that also).

But if anybody has ported it to the win32
subsystem or the underlying windows kernel;
google doesn't know about it.

Note: I wrote an equivalent of strace for DOS-3.0/6.0
but I don't think that will help.

I will put porting strace on my "things to do" list, right
after Bill publishes the windows kernel API.

Debugging msys...
If you can't do it under gdb, your SOL.

Mike

Re: ValGrind and Strace

Michael S. Zick
On Mon June 6 2005 08:20, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> Group,
> Here, I go, answering my own questions again...
>
> But if anybody has ported it to the win32
> subsystem or the underlying windows kernel;
> google doesn't know about it.

I lied again, strace is part of the cygwin base
install and might even be part of msys-mingw
if I ever get my system sorted out.

Sorry, just used to google knowing everything.
Mike

Re: ValGrind and Strace

On 1:20:22 pm 2005-06-06 "Michael S. Zick" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Group,
> Here, I go, answering my own questions again...
>
> ValGrinding msys...
> There is a special ValGrind that will trace Wine
> and applications running under Wine.
> <http://valgrind.org/downloads/variants.html>
>
> Which leads to my next DA question:
> Will msys run under Wine?

At one time the answer for Cygwin and Wine was that it doesn't work.

> If no one has experience with that setup, I'll
> put it on my "things to try" list.
>
> Stracing msys...
> Strace intercepts system calls (I knew that), so
> it is very system specific.
> Strace also has 'helper functions' in the kernel
> (I knew that also).

MSYS has an strace of its own.  You need to build with -DDEBUGGING=1 to
make it work.  The MSYS strace greps for specific patterns of
OutputDebugString info.  See the MinGWiki page on Building MSYS for more
information on debugging MSYS.

> Debugging msys...
> If you can't do it under gdb, your SOL.

Debugging msys with gdb is slow.