Windows RT support?

Andrew Pennebaker
What's the state of Windows RT support in MinGW? Any demo apps that run on Microsoft Surface?

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker

Re: Windows RT support?

Earnie Boyd
On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> What's the state of Windows RT support in MinGW? Any demo apps that run on
> Microsoft Surface?

We have a lot of catching up to do which will take time.

Re: Windows RT support?

Xiaofan Chen
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Andrew Pennebaker
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's the state of Windows RT support in MinGW? Any demo apps that run on
> Microsoft Surface?

Take note you can only run Windows Store Apps (Metro type apps)
under Windows RT. No 3rd-party desktop application can run under
Windows RT unless you jailbreak the device.

Ref:
http://libusbx.1081486.n5.nabble.com/Libusbx-devel-libusbx-and-Windows-8-and-Windows-8-RT-tp410p418.html

Quote Tim Roberts.
"You cannot run standard Win32 applications or
DLLs in Windows RT at all.  The APIs are blocked.  Unless you get
special blessing from Microsoft (and so far only the browser makers have
that blessing), RT will only run "Windows Store" applications that run
under the control of the WinRT runtime, and the runtime is the only
component that can do I/O."

--
Xiaofan

Re: Windows RT support?

Nathan Ladwig
Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@...> writes:

> Take note you can only run Windows Store Apps (Metro type apps)
> under Windows RT. No 3rd-party desktop application can run under
> Windows RT unless you jailbreak the device.

It'd be nice to have it for the jailbroken Windows RT devices, though. There's a
lot of valuable FOSS out there that requires gcc to build.

Re: Windows RT support?

Xiaofan Chen
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Nathan Ladwig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@...> writes:
>
>> Take note you can only run Windows Store Apps (Metro type apps)
>> under Windows RT. No 3rd-party desktop application can run under
>> Windows RT unless you jailbreak the device.
>
> It'd be nice to have it for the jailbroken Windows RT devices, though. There's a
> lot of valuable FOSS out there that requires gcc to build.

I can understand that. But on the other hand, I am not so sure Windows
RT will be really popular because of the limitations. Personally I think
it needs another two iterations for Microsoft to get it right. :-)

--
Xiaofan

Re: Windows RT support?

Thomas Stover-2
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:23:06 +0800
Xiaofan Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can understand that. But on the other hand, I am not so sure Windows
> RT will be really popular because of the limitations. Personally I
> think it needs another two iterations for Microsoft to get it
> right. :-)

<ot rant>
Let's see - windows CE, windows nt/xp/x embedded, windows mobile,
windows tablet edition, Pocket PC, SmartPhone, windows phone 8, windows
RT, windows metro, windows 8 for arm*, windows train wreck, and windows
rat sandwich. hmmm. I love obscure and cursed forms of computing, and
even I can't see why anyone would care to watch this abomination bleed
to death. How can anyone even keep track of what all this waste is
suppose to be?

Somehow the most sanguinary part of the saga is that if they
just opened up the platform for real user native development, it would
still actually be better than the locked down pits of despair that are
iOS and that imposter parading around to the uninformed as some sort of
linux platform.

*which apparently is still not the same thing as windows rt and has another
set of "rules" about what you can install starting with various
licensing schemes stipulating uefi secure boot, etc.
</ot rant>

--
C. Thomas Stover
www.thomasstover.com