ZZipLib make fail

12

ZZipLib make fail

Cristi Dinescu
Hi,

I'm trying to compile zziplib using MinGW and MSYS on Windows and I get some errors, screenshot here .

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Cris

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Renato Silva

2013/9/14 Cristi Dinescu <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I'm trying to compile zziplib using MinGW and MSYS on Windows and I get some errors, screenshot here .

Any ideas?

Maybe try to pursue the cause of this line?

Imagem inline 1

Thanks a lot!

Cris

Re: ZZipLib make fail

> Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 22:30:32 +0300
> From: Cristi Dinescu <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm trying to compile zziplib using MinGW and MSYS on Windows and I get
> some errors, screenshot here<http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5708/ri8m.png>
>  .
>
> Any ideas?

strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
basic.

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Cristi Dinescu
strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
basic.

The <string.h> is included but anyways I replaced 'strcasecmp' with 'stricmp' which is supposed to do be case insensitive as well. Now I get another error which I can't even a error message for it, please see img , Also if anyone wants to inspect the file and help me figure out the issue please check it here .

Thanks again!

2013/9/14 Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 22:30:32 +0300
> From: Cristi Dinescu <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm trying to compile zziplib using MinGW and MSYS on Windows and I get
> some errors, screenshot here<http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5708/ri8m.png>
>  .
>
> Any ideas?

strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
basic.

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Renato Silva

Cristi, if you're following build instructions correctly, then they may have a problem, although my bet is that you're missing something. It's better trying to fix the real cause instead of workaround it, it may just keep snowballing. So have you noted the macro below? For some reason your setup is not finding string.h, it seems. Possibly some include path mess?

#if   defined ZZIP_HAVE_STRING_H
#include <string.h>
#elif defined ZZIP_HAVE_STRINGS_H
#include <strings.h>
#endif

> strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
> that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
> Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
> basic.

The <string.h> is included but anyways I replaced 'strcasecmp' with 'stricmp' which is supposed to do be case insensitive as well. Now I get another error which I can't even a error message for it, please see img , Also if anyone wants to inspect the file and help me figure out the issue please check it here .

Thanks again!

strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
basic.

The <string.h> is included but anyways I replaced 'strcasecmp' with 'stricmp' which is supposed to do be case insensitive as well. Now I get another error which I can't even a error message for it, please see img , Also if anyone wants to inspect the file and help me figure out the issue please check it here .

Thanks again!

2013/9/14 Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 22:30:32 +0300
> From: Cristi Dinescu <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm trying to compile zziplib using MinGW and MSYS on Windows and I get
> some errors, screenshot here<http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5708/ri8m.png>
>  .
>
> Any ideas?

strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
basic.

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Cristi Dinescu

Cristi, if you're following build instructions correctly, then they may have a problem, although my bet is that you're missing something. It's better trying to fix the real cause instead of workaround it, it may just keep snowballing. So have you noted the macro below? For some reason your setup is not finding string.h, it seems. Possibly some include path mess?

#if   defined ZZIP_HAVE_STRING_H
#include <string.h>
#elif defined ZZIP_HAVE_STRINGS_H
#include <strings.h>
#endif

Well I followed your advice and I changed stricmp back to 'strcasecmp' so 'mapped.c' related errors are not a concern at the moment. So now, why can't gcc find 'strcasecmp' in 'stat.c' when there's an obvious include line there for string.h where it is defined?

2013/9/15 Renato Silva <[hidden email]>

Cristi, if you're following build instructions correctly, then they may have a problem, although my bet is that you're missing something. It's better trying to fix the real cause instead of workaround it, it may just keep snowballing. So have you noted the macro below? For some reason your setup is not finding string.h, it seems. Possibly some include path mess?

#if   defined ZZIP_HAVE_STRING_H
#include <string.h>
#elif defined ZZIP_HAVE_STRINGS_H
#include <strings.h>
#endif

> strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
> that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
> Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
> basic.

The <string.h> is included but anyways I replaced 'strcasecmp' with 'stricmp' which is supposed to do be case insensitive as well. Now I get another error which I can't even a error message for it, please see img , Also if anyone wants to inspect the file and help me figure out the issue please check it here .

Thanks again!

strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
basic.

The <string.h> is included but anyways I replaced 'strcasecmp' with 'stricmp' which is supposed to do be case insensitive as well. Now I get another error which I can't even a error message for it, please see img , Also if anyone wants to inspect the file and help me figure out the issue please check it here .

Thanks again!

2013/9/14 Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 22:30:32 +0300
> From: Cristi Dinescu <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm trying to compile zziplib using MinGW and MSYS on Windows and I get
> some errors, screenshot here<http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5708/ri8m.png>
>  .
>
> Any ideas?

strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
basic.

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Renato Silva

Notice the if surrounding it, it's called macros. Those lines mean that the include will only be compiled when ZZIP_HAVE_STRING_H is defined, which doesn't seem the case. Check if you're following their build instructions properly, or even if they have some error. My bet is that your build setup is missing stuff in include paths.

Em 14/09/2013 22:04, "Cristi Dinescu" <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> [...]

> I'm trying to compile zziplib using MinGW and MSYS on Windows and I get
> some errors, screenshot here<http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5708/ri8m.png>
>  .
>
> Any ideas?

strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
basic.

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Cristi Dinescu
Notice the if surrounding it, it's called macros. Those lines mean that the include will only be compiled when ZZIP_HAVE_STRING_H is defined, which doesn't seem the case. Check if you're following their build instructions properly, or even if they have some error. My bet is that your build setup is missing stuff in include paths.

Like I said before 'mmaped.c' is not relevant anymore at the moment since I reverted to 'strcasecmp'.

Concerning the build reqs, the only dependency for it is the zlib library which i've added to MinGW's include and lib dirs and from the config log zlib was successfully detected by the autotools utility so there really shouldn't be any case of missing files/dependecies. I really don't know what can be wrong in 'stat.c' since the "#include <string.h>" line there doesn't have any '#if' block around it.

If anyone wants to check 'stat.c', you can find it here.

P.S.:  Maybe someone here is kind enough can give it a try and built it ( I need zziplib-0.13.49 exactly) on Windows using gcc-4.8.1 and upload the binaries for me. :P

> [...]

Thanks again!

2013/9/14 Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 22:30:32 +0300
> From: Cristi Dinescu <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm trying to compile zziplib using MinGW and MSYS on Windows and I get
> some errors, screenshot here<http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5708/ri8m.png>
>  .
>
> Any ideas?

strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty

Earnie Boyd
On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Cristi Dinescu wrote:

>> Notice the if surrounding it, it's called macros. Those lines mean that
>> the include will only be compiled when ZZIP_HAVE_STRING_H is defined, which
>> doesn't seem the case. Check if you're following their build instructions
>> properly, or even if they have some error. My bet is that your build setup
>> is missing stuff in include paths.
>

> Like I said before 'mmaped.c' is not relevant anymore at the moment since I
> reverted to 'strcasecmp'.

I was able to build up to the creation of the documentation by
changing the zzip/Makefile CFLAGS line from -O2 to -O0.  I did not try
to determine the cause of the error in the creation of the
documentation but my guess is I don't have python or some other
dependency installed.

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Cristi Dinescu
I was able to build up to the creation of the documentation by
changing the zzip/Makefile CFLAGS line from -O2 to -O0.  I did not try
to determine the cause of the error in the creation of the
documentation but my guess is I don't have python or some other
dependency installed.

Yep Python is needed for doc and there also other minor changes/config needed for Win, see here for details.

2013/9/15 Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]>
On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Cristi Dinescu wrote:
>> Notice the if surrounding it, it's called macros. Those lines mean that
>> the include will only be compiled when ZZIP_HAVE_STRING_H is defined, which
>> doesn't seem the case. Check if you're following their build instructions
>> properly, or even if they have some error. My bet is that your build setup
>> is missing stuff in include paths.
>

> Like I said before 'mmaped.c' is not relevant anymore at the moment since I
> reverted to 'strcasecmp'.

I was able to build up to the creation of the documentation by
changing the zzip/Makefile CFLAGS line from -O2 to -O0.  I did not try
to determine the cause of the error in the creation of the
documentation but my guess is I don't have python or some other
dependency installed.

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Renato Silva
2013/9/14 Cristi Dinescu <[hidden email]>
Notice the if surrounding it, it's called macros. Those lines mean that the include will only be compiled when ZZIP_HAVE_STRING_H is defined, which doesn't seem the case. Check if you're following their build instructions properly, or even if they have some error. My bet is that your build setup is missing stuff in include paths.

Like I said before 'mmaped.c' is not relevant anymore at the moment since I reverted to 'strcasecmp'.

Ah I see now.

2013/9/15 Cristi Dinescu <[hidden email]>
I was able to build up to the creation of the documentation by
changing the zzip/Makefile CFLAGS line from -O2 to -O0.  I did not try
to determine the cause of the error in the creation of the
documentation but my guess is I don't have python or some other
dependency installed.

Yep Python is needed for doc and there also other minor changes/config needed for Win, see here for details.

Ah good, so the build instructions are from some old blog post. You're in the wild and anything can happen, including snowballing anyway.

I tried building it here and I'm giving up with same error as yours. However, I see that configure performs some check for strcasecmp and it fails as you can see in the "no" answer from its output. In configure's log file, there's a less enigmatic message about strcasecmp, as follows. You may want to pursue the cause of that.

configure:22638: checking for strcasecmp
configure:22694: gcc -o conftest.exe -g -O2   conftest.c  >&5
conftest.c:57:6: warning: conflicting types for built-in function 'strcasecmp' [enabled by default]
 char strcasecmp ();
      ^
C:\Users\Renato\AppData\Local\Temp\ccUTM72H.o: In function `main':
C:\Users\Renato\Desktop\zziplib-0.13.49\MINGW32_NT-6.1_1.0.18(0.48_3_2)_i686.d/conftest.c:68: undefined reference to `strcasecmp'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:22700: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
> [...]
| #define restrict __restrict__
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_DIRENT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_WINDOWS_H 1
| #define HAVE_WINNT_H 1
| #define HAVE_WINBASE_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_PARAM_H 1
| #define HAVE_IO_H 1
| #define HAVE_DIRECT_H 1
| #define HAVE_ZLIB_H 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| /* Define strcasecmp to an innocuous variant, in case <limits.h> declares strcasecmp.
|    For example, HP-UX 11i <limits.h> declares gettimeofday.  */
| #define strcasecmp innocuous_strcasecmp
|
| /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
|     which can conflict with char strcasecmp (); below.
|     Prefer <limits.h> to <assert.h> if __STDC__ is defined, since
|     <limits.h> exists even on freestanding compilers.  */
|
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
|
| #undef strcasecmp
|
| /* Override any GCC internal prototype to avoid an error.
|    Use char because int might match the return type of a GCC
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| #endif
| char strcasecmp ();
| /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
|     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
|     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
| #if defined __stub_strcasecmp || defined __stub___strcasecmp
| choke me
| #endif
|
| int
| main ()
| {
| return strcasecmp ();
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }

2013/9/15 Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]>
On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Cristi Dinescu wrote:
>> Notice the if surrounding it, it's called macros. Those lines mean that
>> the include will only be compiled when ZZIP_HAVE_STRING_H is defined, which
>> doesn't seem the case. Check if you're following their build instructions
>> properly, or even if they have some error. My bet is that your build setup
>> is missing stuff in include paths.
>

> Like I said before 'mmaped.c' is not relevant anymore at the moment since I
> reverted to 'strcasecmp'.

I was able to build up to the creation of the documentation by
changing the zzip/Makefile CFLAGS line from -O2 to -O0.  I did not try
to determine the cause of the error in the creation of the
documentation but my guess is I don't have python or some other

Tony Theodore

On 15/09/2013, at 11:49 AM, Cristi Dinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> P.S.:  Maybe someone here is kind enough can give it a try and built it ( I need zziplib-0.13.49 exactly) on Windows using gcc-4.8.1 and upload the binaries for me. :P

0.13.49 was released in March 2007, can you really not use a newer version? I just gave it a quick try cross-compiling with mxe and the current version (0.13.62) builds without errors (docs disabled), but I can see similar issues as you're having with the older version.

Cheers,

Tony

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Sebastian Schuberth
On 14.09.2013 22:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
> that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
> Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
> basic.

I stumbled upon a similar issue when building Git under MinGW, see [1]. strcasecmp is only declared inline if __NO_INLINE__ is not defined. The (still ongoing) discussion raised the question whether is it even legal for a C library function to be solely declared inline, because you cannot then take its address. Linus at least thinks this is a "clear Mingw bug" [2].

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/234575
[2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/234766

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Sebastian Schuberth <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:57:45 +0200
>
> On 14.09.2013 22:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
> > that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
> > Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
> > basic.
>
> I stumbled upon a similar issue when building Git under MinGW, see [1]. strcasecmp is only declared inline if __NO_INLINE__ is not defined. The (still ongoing) discussion raised the question whether is it even legal for a C library function to be solely declared inline, because you cannot then take its address. Linus at least thinks this is a "clear Mingw bug" [2].
>
> [1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/234575
> [2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/234766

IMO, it's a bug in the configury of the package that takes the address
of strcasecmp: it should have made a better test.  A test program that
just calls strcasecmp can compile because there's some macro, as in
this case, that lets it compile.  In fact, strcasecmp could exist, but
be a function that does something utterly different, because its name
is not reserved, since it's not a standard function, except under
Posix (which MinGW isn't).  A good configure-time test should figure
all this out, and provide a replacement for environments that don't
have a compliant implementation.

Re: ZZipLib make fail

Earnie Boyd
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Sebastian Schuberth
>> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:57:45 +0200
>>
>> On 14.09.2013 22:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>> > strcasecmp is an inline function defined in string.h.  I'm guessing
>> > that stat.c didn't include string.h, so you are getting this error.
>> > Including a header where a function is defined or declared is pretty
>> > basic.
>>
>> I stumbled upon a similar issue when building Git under MinGW, see [1]. strcasecmp is only declared inline if __NO_INLINE__ is not defined. The (still ongoing) discussion raised the question whether is it even legal for a C library function to be solely declared inline, because you cannot then take its address. Linus at least thinks this is a "clear Mingw bug" [2].
>>
>> [1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/234575
>> [2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/234766
>
> IMO, it's a bug in the configury of the package that takes the address
> of strcasecmp: it should have made a better test.  A test program that
> just calls strcasecmp can compile because there's some macro, as in
> this case, that lets it compile.  In fact, strcasecmp could exist, but
> be a function that does something utterly different, because its name
> is not reserved, since it's not a standard function, except under
> Posix (which MinGW isn't).  A good configure-time test should figure
> all this out, and provide a replacement for environments that don't
> have a compliant implementation.

I agree.  The sad part though is this zzip/stat.c uses strcasecmp
regardless of the configure time test.

Re: MinGW build of git (was: ZZipLib make fail)

> From: Sebastian Schuberth <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:57:45 +0200
>
> I stumbled upon a similar issue when building Git under MinGW, see [1].

Btw, does this mean git can be compiled with MinGW as (a bunch of)
native Windows programs?  If so, is a binary distro, or a set of
patches and build instructions, available somewhere?  Does the MinGW
build of git have any limitations compared to msysgit?

I'd love to have a native git on my disk, as it would free me from the
need to maintain 2 separate and carefully segregated MSYS
installations.

TIA

Re: MinGW build of git

Peter Rosin
On 2013-09-16 13:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Sebastian Schuberth <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:57:45 +0200
>>
>> I stumbled upon a similar issue when building Git under MinGW, see [1].
>
> Btw, does this mean git can be compiled with MinGW as (a bunch of)
> native Windows programs?  If so, is a binary distro, or a set of
> patches and build instructions, available somewhere?  Does the MinGW
> build of git have any limitations compared to msysgit?
>
> I'd love to have a native git on my disk, as it would free me from the
> need to maintain 2 separate and carefully segregated MSYS
> installations.

I believe that msysgit is a (poorly named, IMHO) aggregation of a MinGW
build of git and MSYS.

Cheers,
Peter

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> From: Sebastian Schuberth <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:57:45 +0200
>>
>> I stumbled upon a similar issue when building Git under MinGW, see [1].
>
> Btw, does this mean git can be compiled with MinGW as (a bunch of)
> native Windows programs?  If so, is a binary distro, or a set of
> patches and build instructions, available somewhere?  Does the MinGW
> build of git have any limitations compared to msysgit?

The git portion of msysgit is native binaries.  The MSYS part is used
to provide the scripting shell needed.

> I'd love to have a native git on my disk, as it would free me from the
> need to maintain 2 separate and carefully segregated MSYS
> installations.

I remove the msys-1.0.dll provided by msysgit.  Everything works fine.
 To completely eliminate the need for the POSIX shell one would need
to write native batch files.

LRN

Re: MinGW build of git

LRN

Re: MinGW build of git (was: ZZipLib make fail)

> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:18:38 -0400
> From: Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]>
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> From: Sebastian Schuberth <[hidden email]>
> >> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:57:45 +0200
> >>
> >> I stumbled upon a similar issue when building Git under MinGW, see [1].
> >
> > Btw, does this mean git can be compiled with MinGW as (a bunch of)
> > native Windows programs?  If so, is a binary distro, or a set of
> > patches and build instructions, available somewhere?  Does the MinGW
> > build of git have any limitations compared to msysgit?
> >

> The git portion of msysgit is native binaries.

Thanks; you learn something new every day.

> The MSYS part is used to provide the scripting shell needed.

Which shell scripts are needed for git functionality?  Those in etc/
and in libexec/?

Btw, there's a lot of Perl stuff in libexec/git-core/, I guess MSYS is
needed for that as well.

> > I'd love to have a native git on my disk, as it would free me from the
> > need to maintain 2 separate and carefully segregated MSYS
> > installations.
>
> I remove the msys-1.0.dll provided by msysgit.  Everything works fine.

That's because your MSYS DLL is on PATH.  Mine isn't, because I only
use MSYS to run Posix stuff from a special shell window, and want MSYS
out of my way otherwise.

Besides, I upgrade my msysgit without a second thought, while my MSYS
installation is modified very conservatively, only when absolutely
required: I need it in perfect order.

> To completely eliminate the need for the POSIX shell one would need
> to write native batch files.

It's probably a lot easier to write C replacements for those scripts.

Thanks.

12