absolute paths are relative to MSYS?

George Brink
I just installed the new copy of MSYS using mingw-get:
   mingw-get install msys
It worked fine, but instead of the root MinGW folder it created a new one:
   C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\
and put everything there...
Ok, I can have two records in my PATH:
   PATH=C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin;%PATH%

But now I like to compile and install some libraries. I go into the
library folder, run:
    bash configure --prefix=/mingw
    mingw32-make && mingw32-make install
but instead of putting the new libSOME.a into C:\MinGW\lib it puts the
file into C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\lib.
A little investigations shows that all MSYS' utilities add msys path
into any absolute path...

I am very confused. Why the simple command:
   C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\ls /
shows contents of the C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\ instead of the C:\???

What is going on and how to fix it?

Re: absolute paths are relative to MSYS?

JonY-6
On 7/12/2011 04:29, George Brink wrote:

> I just installed the new copy of MSYS using mingw-get:
>    mingw-get install msys
> It worked fine, but instead of the root MinGW folder it created a new one:
>    C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\
> and put everything there...
> Ok, I can have two records in my PATH:
>    PATH=C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin;%PATH%
>
> But now I like to compile and install some libraries. I go into the
> library folder, run:
>     bash configure --prefix=/mingw
>     mingw32-make && mingw32-make install
Try using "make" instead of "mingw32-make", the 2 programs are
different, with the former understanding MSYS type paths that you will
get from running configure shell scripts.

The latter is closer to MSVC nmake where you can use win32 paths.

0xED74C077.asc (1K) Download Attachment