behavior of the rxvt terminal when resizing

behavior of the rxvt terminal when resizing

Vincent Torri-2

Hey

My question is more about gdi programming than the rxvt terminal. But some
people here can maybe help me.

When resizing the rxvt terminal with the mouse, the content of the window
is drawn only when one releases the mouse button. I have the same behavior
with a library that i port to Windows.

That library has a main loop, and i catch windows messages inside that
main loop. Everything goes fine, except when resizing. With almost the
same behavior than the rxvt terminal : when resizing, the content of the
window is grey.

I tried to force the update of the window of my lib during WM_SIZING,
WM_MOUSEMOVE, WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING. Nothing. The behavior is still the
same. When resizing with the mouse, the content is not updated.

So does someone know what the problem is, and maybe a hint for a solution
? If not, some irc chan or forums where i can find gdi experts ?

Thank you

Vincent Torri

Re: behavior of the rxvt terminal when resizing

Greg Chicares-2
On 2010-06-18 09:03Z, Vincent Torri wrote:

> When resizing the rxvt terminal with the mouse, the content of the window
> is drawn only when one releases the mouse button. I have the same behavior
> with a library that i port to Windows.

On my machine, that's how applications generally behave, because of
an OS setting:
  right-click on the desktop
  select "Properties"
  select "Appearance" tab
  click "Effects"
  clear the "Show window contents while dragging" checkbox
That checkbox governs this behavior for (e.g.) firefox, adobe acrobat,
VLC media player, and my own wxWidgets applications.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Greg Chicares wrote:

> On 2010-06-18 09:03Z, Vincent Torri wrote:
>>
>> When resizing the rxvt terminal with the mouse, the content of the window
>> is drawn only when one releases the mouse button. I have the same behavior
>> with a library that i port to Windows.
>
> On my machine, that's how applications generally behave, because of
> an OS setting:
>  right-click on the desktop
>  select "Properties"
>  select "Appearance" tab
>  click "Effects"
>  clear the "Show window contents while dragging" checkbox
> That checkbox governs this behavior for (e.g.) firefox, adobe acrobat,
> VLC media player, and my own wxWidgets applications.

i can't test right now (i'm at work), but what i can say is that, with my
current settings, some (most) applications update the window content when
resizing, while msys rxvt or the apps based on my lib do not

I'll try that setting when i'm home.

thank you

Vincent Torri

Re: behavior of the rxvt terminal when resizing

Vincent Torri-2

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Greg Chicares wrote:

> On 2010-06-18 09:03Z, Vincent Torri wrote:
>>
>> When resizing the rxvt terminal with the mouse, the content of the window
>> is drawn only when one releases the mouse button. I have the same behavior
>> with a library that i port to Windows.
>
> On my machine, that's how applications generally behave, because of
> an OS setting:
>  right-click on the desktop
>  select "Properties"
>  select "Appearance" tab
>  click "Effects"
>  clear the "Show window contents while dragging" checkbox

the checkbox was already checked. So it's something else

Vincent Torri