chown?

Chris Sutcliffe
Hey,

Is chown available for MSYS as a binary?  If so, which archive is it in?
I can't seem to find it.

Thanx!

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
[hidden email]

Re: chown?

Max TenEyck Woodbury
Chris Sutcliffe wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Is chown available for MSYS as a binary?  If so, which archive is it in?
> I can't seem to find it.
>
> Thanx!

I do not believe it is.  I have checked:

MSYS-1.0.11
MinGW-3.1.0-1
bison-1.875-2003.02.10-1
gettext-0.11.5-2003.02.01-1
libiconv-1.8.0
msysDTK-1.0.1
msysDVLPR-1.0.0-alpha-1

The sources are available in the MSYS-1.0.10 src archive and from CVS.

It is useless on a single user file system like FAT32.  I have not
tested it on any other file system.

Re: chown?

Chris Sutcliffe
> The sources are available in the MSYS-1.0.10 src archive and from CVS.

I'll have to grab it and compile it.

> It is useless on a single user file system like FAT32.  I have not
> tested it on any other file system.

On an NTFS file system it can cause some interesting behaviour, like not
allowing the system to interact with the file.

Cheers!

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
[hidden email]

Re: chown?

On 11:25:13 am 2005-06-18 "Max T. Woodbury" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> >
> >  Hey,
> >
> >  Is chown available for MSYS as a binary?  If so, which archive is
> >  it in? I can't seem to find it.
> >
> >  Thanx!
>
> I do not believe it is.  I have checked:
>
> MSYS-1.0.11
> MinGW-3.1.0-1
> bison-1.875-2003.02.10-1
> gettext-0.11.5-2003.02.01-1
> libiconv-1.8.0
> msysDTK-1.0.1
> msysDVLPR-1.0.0-alpha-1
>
> The sources are available in the MSYS-1.0.10 src archive and from CVS.
>
> It is useless on a single user file system like FAT32.  I have not
> tested it on any other file system.

Which is one of the reasons it wasn't supplied.  Also, the chown program
isn't typical for configure && make which is the test I use for adding to
the minimal set of binaries.  Binaires that operate with a different set of
defaults based on name such as gzip and gunzip where gunzip on a UNIX
platform is a symlink to gzip; I realized with a script rather than a copy
to help keep the size of the tarball to a minimum.