console2

Adam Doppelt
I started running MSYS a few days ago, but I was a bit disappointed by
rxvt. Some googling turned up this project:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/console
screenshot : http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=43764

Console2 has all the bling a hacker could want - great font support,
tabs, transparency, nice cursor animations, etc. I'm using the Consolas
font included with Vista. MSYS Bash didn't work out of the box, but I
fixed it by changing the startup command to:

cmd /C .....\bin\bash.exe

It's a young project but seems to work pretty well. Have fun,

Adam

Re: console2

Keith MARSHALL
Adam Doppelt wrote:
> I started running MSYS a few days ago, but I was a bit disappointed
> by rxvt.

Yeah, I find it rather disappointing too, which is why I run MSYS in
`--norxvt' mode.

> Some googling turned up this project:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/console
> screenshot:
http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=43764

> Console2 has all the bling a hacker could want - great font support,
> tabs, transparency, nice cursor animations, etc.

Didn't have time to follow up on this, when Adam posted the tip, and
just got around to it this morning.

Shame that, while they publish under GPL, they don't enter into its
spirit in their choice of development tools; it has a dependency on
MSVCP71.dll, suggesting that they use MSVC-7.1.  I don't have that
on my Win2K box, so this pig doesn't fly.

> It's a young project but seems to work pretty well. Have fun,

It doesn't work at all, for me.  I guess I'll just stick with MSYS,
warts and all, in a native Woe32 console.

Re: console2

Aron Rubin
Keith MARSHALL wrote:

> Adam Doppelt wrote:
>
>> I started running MSYS a few days ago, but I was a bit disappointed
>> by rxvt.
>>

> Yeah, I find it rather disappointing too, which is why I run MSYS in
> `--norxvt' mode.
>

>> Some googling turned up this project:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/console
>> screenshot:
>>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=43764
>
>> Console2 has all the bling a hacker could want - great font support,
>> tabs, transparency, nice cursor animations, etc.
>>

> Didn't have time to follow up on this, when Adam posted the tip, and
> just got around to it this morning.
>
> Shame that, while they publish under GPL, they don't enter into its
> spirit in their choice of development tools; it has a dependency on
> MSVCP71.dll, suggesting that they use MSVC-7.1.  I don't have that
> on my Win2K box, so this pig doesn't fly.
>

>> It's a young project but seems to work pretty well. Have fun,
>>

> It doesn't work at all, for me.  I guess I'll just stick with MSYS,
> warts and all, in a native Woe32 console.

Wow, Console2 is a really nice app (compared to anything else available
in that environment). I can even use the up arrow to get to previous
commands in gdb. That will now become my default terminal.

MSYS.bat --norxvt did not work for me. I just used "sh -login" for my
startup command and voila this is now about half what I have in Linux.

Aron

Re: console2

Earnie Boyd
Quoting Aron Rubin <[hidden email]>:

> MSYS.bat --norxvt did not work for me. I just used "sh -login" for my
> startup command and voila this is now about half what I have in Linux.

Grab the version of msys.bat from CVS under the msys/dvlpr/bin
directory.  It is the newest version for MSYS-1.0.11.

Earnie Boyd

http://shop.siebunlimited.com