dumb newbie question

mike

Hello

So I've installed MinGW and MSYS okay and I can run MSYS and it sees the MinGW executables just fine AFAICT but I can't figure out how to change the MinGW pwd or cwd in the MSYS shell to my Windows home directory/folder (C:\Users\Mike) which is where my source to be built will be.

It doesn't seem to work like it does if I execute for example

(defun cygwin-shell ()
  "Run cygwin bash in shell mode."
  (interactive)
  (let ((explicit-shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash"))
    (call-interactively 'shell)))

in the *scratch* buffer in native Windows Gnu Emacs where I would just do "M-x cygwin-shell" and then do "cd /cygdrive/c" in the shell but then since MSYS is presumably different from Cygwin (although I know it's based on it) I wouldn't expect it to anyway and I can't remember how to do it in straight recent Cygwin outside of Emacs either cause everything changed a while back.

I've tried to find the answer in the MinGW wiki (which I think is great BTW) but I can't find it.

Thanks very much in advance for any help.  Once again I assume I am missing the obvious.

Mike

--
I *AM* a unique and special snowflake

Re: dumb newbie question

Eli Zaretskii
> From: mike <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 22:28:11 +0100
>
> So I've installed MinGW and MSYS okay and I can run MSYS and it sees the MinGW executables just fine
> AFAICT but I can't figure out how to change the MinGW pwd or cwd in the MSYS shell to my Windows home
> directory/folder (C:\Users\Mike) which is where my source to be built will be.

The MSYS notation for C:\Users\Mike is /c/Users/Mike.  Is that the
answer you were looking for?

> It doesn't seem to work like it does if I execute for example
>
>  (defun cygwin-shell ()
>  "Run cygwin bash in shell mode."
>  (interactive)
>  (let ((explicit-shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash"))
>  (call-interactively 'shell)))
>
> in the *scratch* buffer in native Windows Gnu Emacs where I would just do "M-x cygwin-shell" and then do
> "cd /cygdrive/c" in the shell but then since MSYS is presumably different from Cygwin (although I know it's
> based on it) I wouldn't expect it to anyway and I can't remember how to do it in straight recent Cygwin outside
> of Emacs either cause everything changed a while back.

This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.

Re: dumb newbie question

mike
On 17/07/2017 03:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: mike <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 22:28:11 +0100
>>
>> So I've installed MinGW and MSYS okay and I can run MSYS and it sees the MinGW executables just fine
>> AFAICT but I can't figure out how to change the MinGW pwd or cwd in the MSYS shell to my Windows home
>> directory/folder (C:\Users\Mike) which is where my source to be built will be.
> The MSYS notation for C:\Users\Mike is /c/Users/Mike.  Is that the
> answer you were looking for?

That is exactly the answer I was looking for.  Just tried it.  Thank you
very much.

>> It doesn't seem to work like it does if I execute for example
>>
>>   (defun cygwin-shell ()
>>   "Run cygwin bash in shell mode."
>>   (interactive)
>>   (let ((explicit-shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash"))
>>   (call-interactively 'shell)))
>>
>> in the *scratch* buffer in native Windows Gnu Emacs where I would just do "M-x cygwin-shell" and then do
>> "cd /cygdrive/c" in the shell but then since MSYS is presumably different from Cygwin (although I know it's
>> based on it) I wouldn't expect it to anyway and I can't remember how to do it in straight recent Cygwin outside
>> of Emacs either cause everything changed a while back.
> This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
> with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
> incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.

Oh aye I know all about that but since you raised the issue what would
you use to do editing while using MSYS?  Vim?  Pico?  Nano?

Thank you very much for your assistance

Best regards
Mike

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

I *AM* a unique and special snowflake

Re: dumb newbie question

MinGW - User mailing list
On 7/16/2017 10:48 PM, mike wrote:

> On 17/07/2017 03:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: mike <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 22:28:11 +0100
>>>
>>> So I've installed MinGW and MSYS okay and I can run MSYS and it sees
>>> the MinGW executables just fine
>>> AFAICT but I can't figure out how to change the MinGW pwd or cwd in
>>> the MSYS shell to my Windows home
>>> directory/folder (C:\Users\Mike) which is where my source to be built
>>> will be.
>> The MSYS notation for C:\Users\Mike is /c/Users/Mike.  Is that the
>> answer you were looking for?
>
> That is exactly the answer I was looking for.  Just tried it.  Thank you
> very much.
>>
>>> It doesn't seem to work like it does if I execute for example
>>>
>>>   (defun cygwin-shell ()
>>>   "Run cygwin bash in shell mode."
>>>   (interactive)
>>>   (let ((explicit-shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash"))
>>>   (call-interactively 'shell)))
>>>
>>> in the *scratch* buffer in native Windows Gnu Emacs where I would
>>> just do "M-x cygwin-shell" and then do
>>> "cd /cygdrive/c" in the shell but then since MSYS is presumably
>>> different from Cygwin (although I know it's
>>> based on it) I wouldn't expect it to anyway and I can't remember how
>>> to do it in straight recent Cygwin outside
>>> of Emacs either cause everything changed a while back.
>> This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
>> with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
>> incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.
>
> Oh aye I know all about that but since you raised the issue what would
> you use to do editing while using MSYS?  Vim?  Pico?  Nano?

The only issue here is that of a path POSIX versus WINDOWS.  If you
don't create files that contain POSIX paths that are then executed by
your native Emacs you should be fine.

I use native gvim for my editing choice.

Re: dumb newbie question

MinGW - User mailing list

Re: dumb newbie question

mike
On 17/07/2017 14:16, Earnie via MinGW-users wrote:

>>> The MSYS notation for C:\Users\Mike is /c/Users/Mike.  Is that the
>>> answer you were looking for?
>> That is exactly the answer I was looking for.  Just tried it.  Thank you
>> very much.

>>> This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
>>> with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
>>> incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.
>> Oh aye I know all about that but since you raised the issue what would
>> you use to do editing while using MSYS?  Vim?  Pico?  Nano?
>>
> The only issue here is that of a path POSIX versus WINDOWS.  If you
> don't create files that contain POSIX paths that are then executed by
> your native Emacs you should be fine.
>
> I use native gvim for my editing choice.

Thanks very much for that important feedback.  I'm sure I'm going to run
up against that issue in like the next 24 hours. (Sometimes the wheels
of time run slow.)

Best

Mike

On 17/07/2017 14:37, Keith Marshall via MinGW-users wrote:

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

I *AM* a unique and special snowflake

Re: dumb newbie question

> From: mike <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 03:48:45 +0100
>
> > This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
> > with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
> > incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.
>
> Oh aye I know all about that but since you raised the issue what would
> you use to do editing while using MSYS?  Vim?  Pico?  Nano?

No, I simply never use MSYS except for building and testing MinGW
packages.  For any other work on Windows I use MinGW ports of whatever
utilities I need.

There's only one editor for me, and that is Emacs.

Re: dumb newbie question

> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 09:16:31 -0400
> From: Earnie via MinGW-users <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Earnie <[hidden email]>
>
> >> This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
> >> with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
> >> incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.
> >
> > Oh aye I know all about that but since you raised the issue what would
> > you use to do editing while using MSYS?  Vim?  Pico?  Nano?
> >

> The only issue here is that of a path POSIX versus WINDOWS.  If you
> don't create files that contain POSIX paths that are then executed by
> your native Emacs you should be fine.

That's not the only issue.  Another one is that Emacs supports
standard Windows shells and the Cygwin Bash, but it doesn't support
the MSYS Bash, so it might become confused when invoking shell
commands, and fail to tweak the command-line arguments quoting
properly.

A variant of that is when you invoke an MSYS Sed, say, with an editing
command that starts with a slash -- MSYS might decide that it's a file
name, and convert it to a backslash form, which will, of course, cause
weird error messages.

Another potential gotcha is with invoking async subprocesses from
Emacs: if the program they run is an MSYS program, it could have its
own peculiar ideas, not shared by Emacs, whether its stdin is a
console or not.

The value of PATH is another potential issue: the value known to Emacs
will almost certainly different from the one known to MSYS Bash, so
invoking shell commands might mysteriously fail, although Emacs did
find the command along its PATH.

And there may be some others.

Kids, don't try this at home!

Re: dumb newbie question

mike
From: mike [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 03:48:45 +0100

This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.
Oh aye I know all about that but since you raised the issue what would
you use to do editing while using MSYS?  Vim?  Pico?  Nano?
No, I simply never use MSYS except for building and testing MinGW
packages.  For any other work on Windows I use MinGW ports of whatever
utilities I need.

There's only one editor for me, and that is Emacs.

I agree that this is OT here so I suggest at this point that we move this discussion to the help-emacs-windows mailing list if we are to continue it.  I would think that this discussion would be of general interest there although I'm not exactly sure how to move the discussion.

Best
Mike

Also: [hidden email]

--
I *AM* a unique and special snowflake

Re: dumb newbie question

Will Parsons
On Monday, 17 Jul 2017  4:53 PM -0400, mike wrote:

> On 17/07/2017 15:25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: mike<[hidden email]>
>>> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 03:48:45 +0100

>>> Oh aye I know all about that but since you raised the issue what would
>>> you use to do editing while using MSYS?  Vim?  Pico?  Nano?
>> No, I simply never use MSYS except for building and testing MinGW
>> packages.  For any other work on Windows I use MinGW ports of whatever
>> utilities I need.
>>
>> There's only one editor for me, and that is Emacs.
>
> I agree that this is OT here so I suggest at this point that we move
> this discussion to the help-emacs-windows
><http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-emacs-windows> mailing list
> if we are to continue it.  I would think that this discussion would be
> of general interest there although I'm not exactly sure how to move the
> discussion.

It's a bit late to take the high road of not getting involved in
discussions of editors, don't you think?  E.g.:

On Monday, 17 Jul 2017  9:47 AM -0400, mike wrote:
> Thanks very much Keith.  I suspected that everybody would use (g)vim.

Just sayin'...

--
Will