experimental msys package

12

experimental msys package

Ralph Engels

Re: experimental msys package

Teemu Nätkinniemi
On 19.12.2011 22:59, Ralph Engels wrote:

> I made some fixes to the current msys core and added a few things from
> later cygwin core (no not unicode support).

Do you have sources and/or patches available?

Teemu

On 20.12.2011 2:54, Ralph Engels wrote:

> I can pack them up about tomorrow :) which parts are you interrested
> in ? only the core or the gcc patches also ? the tetex source needs a
> bit more work atm i can only build it statically but it works fine.

Both GCC and core itself and Binutils if you have a modified version. I
see you used 1.0.17 instead of 1.0.18 as a base for your modifications.

Teemu

On 20.12.2011 14:08, Ralph Engels wrote:

> gcc-4.2.1 source uploaded here.
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/Msys%20Specific/?

I noticed that build.sh has a small typo: --disable-werror-allways
should be --disable-werror-always

> i might have fixed the problem building the msyscore with gcc-4 (broke
> autotools before) let me run a few tests and if ok ill upload this as
> well.

That would be nice.

Teemu

On 21.12.2011 20:49, Ralph Engels wrote:

> This will be the last ports i do for the old runtime as im quite happy
> with it now. Next ill clean up my packages and sources and convert my
> build scripts to use mgwport.

I noticed you managed to build tcl, tk and Expect so I built Dejagnu 1.5
so we can run make check for GCC and Binutils.

The test results:

                ===  Summary ===

# of expected passes 56
# of unexpected failures 2
runtest completed at Wed Dec 21 23:03:22 2011

http://teemun.x10.mx/dejagnu-1.5-msys/

Teemu

On 22.12.2011 12:14, Teemu Nätkinniemi wrote:
> On 21.12.2011 20:49, Ralph Engels wrote:
>
>> This will be the last ports i do for the old runtime as im quite happy
>> with it now. Next ill clean up my packages and sources and convert my
>> build scripts to use mgwport.
>
> I noticed you managed to build tcl, tk and Expect so I built Dejagnu 1.5
> so we can run make check for GCC and Binutils.

I ran make check with non-bootstrapped GCC 4.2.1 with Ralph's MSYS
1.0.17-2 and here are the results which are similar than my earlier
tests with different GCC versions. Most of the errors are in gcc.dg
testsuite.

                === gcc Summary ===

# of expected passes 28866
# of unexpected failures 13389
# of unexpected successes 27
# of expected failures 88
# of unresolved testcases 78
# of untested testcases 242
# of unsupported tests 395

Teemu

On 23.12.2011 6:37, Ralph Engels wrote:

> Aye though wilson suggest we put it on the backburner as hees fixing
> some of the nasty stuff with tcl/tk but feel free to use my version
> until then :).

As he hasn't released TK yet I used your version.

> Btw dejagnu was allready in my msys update package i havent upladed it
> standalone yet though.

I am using my own MSYS installation with some of your releases.

Anyway, the next step is going to start using GCC 4.21 built MSYS and
see how that works. Before that I am going build a bootstrapped version
of GCC 4.21 and see if the results are improved at all although I
seriously doubt that.

By the way, if you want to build any more recent version of GCC the heap
size of MSYS has to be increased at least to 512 megabytes!

Teemu

Index: shared.cc
RCS file: /cvsroot/mingw/msys/rt/src/winsup/cygwin/shared.cc,v
retrieving revision 1.10
diff -u -r1.10 shared.cc
--- shared.cc 19 Apr 2003 01:03:48 -0000 1.10
+++ shared.cc 4 May 2011 13:50:01 -0000
@@ -209,7 +209,7 @@
        /* FIXME: We should not be restricted to a fixed size heap no matter
        what the fixed size is. */

-      heap_chunk_in_mb = reg.get_int ("heap_chunk_in_mb", 256);
+      heap_chunk_in_mb = reg.get_int ("heap_chunk_in_mb", 512);
        if (heap_chunk_in_mb < 2)
  {
   heap_chunk_in_mb = 2;

Re: experimental msys package

Charles Wilson-8
On 12/22/2011 11:37 PM, Ralph Engels wrote:

> Aye though wilson suggest we put it on the backburner as hees fixing
> some of the nasty stuff with tcl/tk

I've got a build, and oddly the *test* programs seem to work fairly
well, but wish itself (interactive or scripted) does not.  What I need
to do is tease out all my patches into smaller, related chunks and then
analyze them (and the behavior).  Maybe I "went too far" and by
eliminating some of my changes I could fix the problem -- if my possible
overzealousness caused the issue.  git-bisect is your friend (assuming
you have more than just one giant single commit :-(  -- in which case
"git rebase --interactive/git-add -patch" to the rescue
http://tomayko.com/writings/the-thing-about-git)

Or, splitting up the giant commit and analyzing the pieces may help
convince me they are all needed, the problem lies elsewhere, and I need
to patch even more.  Dunno yet.

But that's hard -- debugging an *interpreter* is decidedly nontrivial --
and I've had zero free time lately.

--
Chuck

On 27.12.2011 18:16, Ralph Engels wrote:

> Hmm oddity :S building gcc-4.3.4 on msys fails but 4.4.0 succedes
> (well libgomp fails). But i have a working gcc-4.4.0 for msys now.
>
> Maybe something for teemu ?.

Thanks a lot! Can you upload the sources as well?

Teemu