find lacks -L option

Andrew Pennebaker
find appears to lack the -L option for following symlinks. Could we update MinGW's find to a newer version?

$ find --help
Usage: find [path...] [expression]
default path is the current directory; default expression is -print
expression may consist of:
operators (decreasing precedence; -and is implicit where no others are given):
      ( EXPR ) ! EXPR -not EXPR EXPR1 -a EXPR2 EXPR1 -and EXPR2
      EXPR1 -o EXPR2 EXPR1 -or EXPR2 EXPR1 , EXPR2
options (always true): -daystart -depth -follow --help
      -maxdepth LEVELS -mindepth LEVELS -mount -noleaf --version -xdev
tests (N can be +N or -N or N): -amin N -anewer FILE -atime N -cmin N
      -cnewer FILE -ctime N -empty -false -fstype TYPE -gid N -group NAME
      -ilname PATTERN -iname PATTERN -inum N -ipath PATTERN -iregex PATTERN
      -links N -lname PATTERN -mmin N -mtime N -name PATTERN -newer FILE
      -nouser -nogroup -path PATTERN -perm [+-]MODE -regex PATTERN
      -size N[bckw] -true -type [bcdpfls] -uid N -used N -user NAME
      -xtype [bcdpfls]
actions: -exec COMMAND ; -fprint FILE -fprint0 FILE -fprintf FILE FORMAT
      -ok COMMAND ; -print -print0 -printf FORMAT -prune -ls
apenneba@NIC-WKS01 ~/Desktop

$ find --help | ack "-L"
ack: No regular expression found.

$ specs find bash git os
Specs:

specs 0.4

find --version
GNU find version 4.1

bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.1.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)

git --version
git version 1.8.0.msysgit.0

systeminfo | findstr /B /C:"OS Name" /C:"OS Version"
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version:                5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker

Re: find lacks -L option

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 14:08:33 -0400
> From: Andrew Pennebaker <[hidden email]>
>
> find appears to lack the -L option for following symlinks. Could we update
> MinGW's find to a newer version?

There's no MinGW Find.  I guess you mean MSYS Find.

And which symlinks do you want to follow? native Windows symlinks or
simulated ones?

Re: find lacks -L option

Andrew Pennebaker
I would like `find` to follow the /c/ (C:\) link, where I keep most of my data, but the version of `find` included seems to lack the -L option.

Could we update MSYS's `find`?

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 14:08:33 -0400
>> From: Andrew Pennebaker
>>
>> find appears to lack the -L option for following symlinks. Could we update
>> MinGW's find to a newer version?
>
> There's no MinGW Find.  I guess you mean MSYS Find.
>
> And which symlinks do you want to follow? native Windows symlinks or
> simulated ones?

Which makes the issue moot since MSYS does not support symlinks
because back in the day Windows didn't know about a symlink.  MSYS2
may support windows symlinks.

Re: find lacks -L option

> Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 14:36:47 -0400
> From: Andrew Pennebaker <[hidden email]>
>
> I would like `find` to follow the /c/ (C:\) link, where I keep most of my
> data, but the version of `find` included seems to lack the -L option.

/c/ is not a link, it's a real directory.  When I type "find /c/", I
see a long list of files -- all of the files on the C: drive.