fork: can't reserve memory for stack

Benoit Mangez-2
Hello all,

I'm new to msys/mingw and I got some issues while trying to compile under WinXP64.
I've an Ant script to compile native libraries and use them in a java program.

I got the following message (ant output) :

     [echo] executing: ../../../configure     --prefix=/c/msys/local
     [exec] C:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x4D0000 - 0x6D0000, Win32 error 0
     [exec]       0 [main] sh 3964 sync_with_child: child 4268(0x25C) died before initialization with status code 0x1
     [exec]   54763 [main] sh 3964 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
     [exec] ../../../configure: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

My configuration :
- msysCORE-1.0.15-1
- mingw-w64-v1.0-20100604
- winXP pro x64 SP2

I tried to run rebaseall and peflagsall in dash, but I had a similar issue :

/bin/rebaseall
C:\msys\1.0\bin\dash.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x420000 - 0x620000, Win32 error 0

/bin/peflagsall
C:\msys\1.0\bin\dash.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x420000 - 0x620000, Win32 error 0

I also try to run msys using cmd-32 bits (according a workaround to a similar issue : http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/MSYS_and_Cygwin_on_x64_%28AMD64%29)
but it didn't solve my problem: I still have exactly the same message.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Ben.

Re: fork: can't reserve memory for stack

Bidski
I had a similar problem once. I solved it by downloading a rebased copy of msys-1.0.dll, however I cant remember where I found it. Google is your friend.

Regards
Bidski

Re: fork: can't reserve memory for stack

Benoit Mangez-2
Thanks for your help, but it didn't solve my problem.
I try to use a rebased version of msys-1.0.dll (download from the web) : same problem
I also try to rebase msys-1.0.dll with rebase.exe ( http://repo.or.cz/w/msysgit.git/commitdiff/76920dc49da361257cbccb02ea63b3e5357fe353 )
with some adresses but none of them works (0x20000000, 0x30000000, ..., 0x90000000).

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Bidski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had a similar problem once. I solved it by downloading a rebased copy of msys-1.0.dll, however I cant remember where I found it. Google is your friend.

Regards
Bidski

Re: fork: can't reserve memory for stack

Teemu Nätkinniemi
On 29.9.2010 19:07, Benoit Mangez wrote:
> Thanks for your help, but it didn't solve my problem.
> I try to use a rebased version of msys-1.0.dll (download from the web) :
> same problem
> I also try to rebase msys-1.0.dll with rebase.exe (
> http://repo.or.cz/w/msysgit.git/commitdiff/76920dc49da361257cbccb02ea63b3e5357fe353)
> with some adresses but none of them works (0x20000000, 0x30000000, ...,
> 0x90000000).

What are your system specs? Msys gives this error on some virtualized
Intel platforms.

Re: fork: can't reserve memory for stack

Scott Duplichan
Here is a very old work-around to try:

http://osdir.com/ml/gnu.mingw.msys/2004-03/msg00035.html

The createprocess utility is here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040829232420/http://users2.ev1.net/~sduplichan/amd64/createprocess.c

Thanks,
Scott

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

http://p.sf.net/sfu/novell-sfdev2dev

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Teemu Nätkinniemi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29.9.2010 19:07, Benoit Mangez wrote:
> Thanks for your help, but it didn't solve my problem.
> I try to use a rebased version of msys-1.0.dll (download from the web) :
> same problem
> I also try to rebase msys-1.0.dll with rebase.exe (
> http://repo.or.cz/w/msysgit.git/commitdiff/76920dc49da361257cbccb02ea63b3e5357fe353)
> with some adresses but none of them works (0x20000000, 0x30000000, ...,
> 0x90000000).

What are your system specs? Msys gives this error on some virtualized
Intel platforms.

Here is my config :

HP Z400 Workstation
CPU : Intel Xeon (W3540@2.93GHz)  (4X)
OS : WinXP Pro x64 Version 2003 SP2
Software:
- msysCORE-1.0.15-1
- mingw-w64-v1.0-20100604

Do you think this config is the problem ?

Benoit Mangez wrote:
>HP Z400 Workstation
>CPU : Intel Xeon (W3540@2.93GHz)  (4X)
>OS : WinXP Pro x64 Version 2003 SP2
>Software:
>- msysCORE-1.0.15-1
>- mingw-w64-v1.0-20100604
Where did you download your MSYS from? I use the one from the mingw-w64 sourceforge site and have no problems with that.

Regards
Bidski

On 30.9.2010 11:13, Benoit Mangez wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Teemu Nätkinniemi<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On 29.9.2010 19:07, Benoit Mangez wrote:
>>> Thanks for your help, but it didn't solve my problem.
>>> I try to use a rebased version of msys-1.0.dll (download from the web) :
>>> same problem
>>> I also try to rebase msys-1.0.dll with rebase.exe (
>>>
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/msysgit.git/commitdiff/76920dc49da361257cbccb02ea63b3e5357fe353
>> )
>>> with some adresses but none of them works (0x20000000, 0x30000000, ...,
>>> 0x90000000).
>>
>> What are your system specs? Msys gives this error on some virtualized
>> Intel platforms.
>>

> Here is my config :
>
> HP Z400 Workstation
> CPU : Intel Xeon (W3540@2.93GHz)  (4X)
> OS : WinXP Pro x64 Version 2003 SP2
> Software:
> - msysCORE-1.0.15-1
> - mingw-w64-v1.0-20100604
>
> Do you think this config is the problem ?

I am not sure but you can confirm the problem with one sure way: try
installing Cygwin. If it fails during the installation then I might have
a solution for you. Also make sure you are using the 32-bit cmd.exe.

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Teemu Nätkinniemi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30.9.2010 11:13, Benoit Mangez wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Teemu Nätkinniemi<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On 29.9.2010 19:07, Benoit Mangez wrote:
>>> Thanks for your help, but it didn't solve my problem.
>>> I try to use a rebased version of msys-1.0.dll (download from the web) :
>>> same problem
>>> I also try to rebase msys-1.0.dll with rebase.exe (
>>>
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/msysgit.git/commitdiff/76920dc49da361257cbccb02ea63b3e5357fe353
>> )
>>> with some adresses but none of them works (0x20000000, 0x30000000, ...,
>>> 0x90000000).
>>
>> What are your system specs? Msys gives this error on some virtualized
>> Intel platforms.
>>

> Here is my config :
>
> HP Z400 Workstation
> CPU : Intel Xeon (W3540@2.93GHz)  (4X)
> OS : WinXP Pro x64 Version 2003 SP2
> Software:
> - msysCORE-1.0.15-1
> - mingw-w64-v1.0-20100604
>
> Do you think this config is the problem ?

I am not sure but you can confirm the problem with one sure way: try
installing Cygwin. If it fails during the installation then I might have
a solution for you. Also make sure you are using the 32-bit cmd.exe.

Thanks for your help.
I just install cygwin without any problem.
But the build script also fail when I run it within cygwin.
(Error is slightly different so I guess this is because the build script is supposed to run within msys, not within cygwin)