g++ string array in struct crash

Graeme Paterson
This crashes mingw g++ (GCC) 4.8.1, hangs linux - with bigger array.

>g++ stringArray.cc

#include <string>
struct T {
    std::string s[4065];
};
int main() {
    T m = {"x", "y"};

Re: g++ string array in struct crash

マーズ ho han keng
Hello Graeme,
why do you need so many strings?

struct T { char arr[4065]; };

or

#include <string>
#include <array>

struct T { std::array<string, 4065> arr { "x", "y" }; };
// wasting 4063 other strings

Graeme Paterson wrote:

> This crashes mingw g++ (GCC) 4.8.1, hangs linux - with
bigger array.

>>g++ stringArray.cc
>
> #include <string>
> struct T {
>     std::string s[4065];
> };
> int main() {
>     T m = {"x", "y"};
> }

Slashdot Media, is your
> hub for all things parallel software development, from
weekly thought
> leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials
and more. Take a
http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
> MinGW-

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for
the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: g++ string array in struct crash

Graeme Paterson
Memory is cheap. I was translating a working program from basic. It has
a fixed size 3 dimensional array of strings with each dimension 'big
enough'. It uses a 4Mb stack. The example below is the minimum ( almost)
to produce the cash. I've since installed g++ (i686-posix-dwarf-rev1,
Built by MinGW-W64 project) 4.9.2; it doesn't crash.

On 3/19/2015 5:49 PM, マーズ ho han keng wrote:

> Hello Graeme,
> why do you need so many strings?
>
> struct T { char arr[4065]; };
>
> or
>
> #include <string>
> #include <array>
>
> struct T { std::array<string, 4065> arr { "x", "y" }; };
> // wasting 4063 other strings
>
> Graeme Paterson wrote:
>
>> This crashes mingw g++ (GCC) 4.8.1, hangs linux - with
> bigger array.
>>> g++ stringArray.cc
>> #include <string>
>> struct T {
>>      std::string s[4065];
>> };
>> int main() {
>>      T m = {"x", "y"};
>> }

> Slashdot Media, is your
>> hub for all things parallel software development, from
> weekly thought
>> leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials
> and more. Take a
>> look and join the conversation now.
> http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
>> MinGW-
> [hidden email]
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for
> the list etiquette
>> may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: g++ string array in struct crash

Greg Jung
No need to justify -whatever- that should work, if it crashes a program ,,,
But this isn't the mailing list to report it to.   It probably has
little to do with mingw, anyway.
Maybe gcc itself has a bug which manifested only then; maybe the bug
is still there but
the particular compilation method goes around it.  You should document
this in bugzilla.

On 3/20/2015 1:30 PM, Greg Jung wrote:
> No need to justify -whatever- that should work, if it crashes a program ,,,
> But this isn't the mailing list to report it to.   It probably has
> little to do with mingw, anyway.
> Maybe gcc itself has a bug which manifested only then; maybe the bug
> is still there but
> the particular compilation method goes around it.  You should document
> this in bugzilla.
Done.

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Graeme Paterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Memory is cheap. I was translating a working program from basic. It has
>> a fixed size 3 dimensional array of strings with each dimension 'big
>> enough'. It uses a 4Mb stack. The example below is the minimum ( almost)
>> to produce the cash. I've since installed g++ (i686-posix-dwarf-rev1,
>> Built by MinGW-W64 project) 4.9.2; it doesn't crash.
>>
>> On 3/19/2015 5:49 PM, マーズ ho han keng wrote:
>>> Hello Graeme,
>>> why do you need so many strings?
>>>
>>> struct T { char arr[4065]; };
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> #include <string>
>>> #include <array>
>>>
>>> struct T { std::array<string, 4065> arr { "x", "y" }; };
>>> // wasting 4063 other strings

>>> bigger array.

>>> Slashdot Media, is your
>>> weekly thought
>>> and more. Take a
>>> http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
>>> [hidden email]
>>> the list etiquette

>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: g++ string array in struct crash

NightStrike

The default stack size was 2MB

On Mar 21, 2015 7:09 AM, "Graeme Paterson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/20/2015 1:30 PM, Greg Jung wrote:
> No need to justify -whatever- that should work, if it crashes a program ,,,
> But this isn't the mailing list to report it to.   It probably has
> little to do with mingw, anyway.
> Maybe gcc itself has a bug which manifested only then; maybe the bug
> is still there but
> the particular compilation method goes around it.  You should document
> this in bugzilla.
Done.