install permission error

Stephen Grant Brown-5
Dear All,

I am running msys on a Vista Home Premiun Machine.

When I run

install --version

I get

sh: /bin/install: Permission denied

What is causing this?

Or even more pointedly, How do I fix it?

Yours Sincerely Stephen Grant Brown

Re: install permission error

Bobby McNulty-6
Try disabling UAC. Worked for me under Windows Vista Home Premium. Getting it back too. Just waiting is all.

Re: install permission error

Brian Dessent
> Stephen Grant Brown wrote:

> install --version
>
> I get
>
> sh: /bin/install: Permission denied
>
> What is causing this?

Upgrade to MSYS 1.0.11 or manually install the manifests for
/bin/install and /bin/install-info.

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.msys/4097>

Brian

Re: install permission error

Stephen Grant Brown-5
Hi Brian

I have found the following link.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=24963&release_id=46827

Do I download and install all the individual packages for the i386?

I am still confused as to how to upgrade to MSYS 1.0.11 or how to manually

Stephen Grant Brown wrote:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=24963&release_id=46827

> Do I download and install all the individual packages for the i386?

You could probably get away with just the MSYS DLL and coreutils.

> I am still confused as to how to upgrade to MSYS 1.0.11 or how to manually
> install the manifests for /bin/install and /bin/install-info

Please read the link I already gave you, specifically this part:

> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1711379&group_id=2435&atid=102435
>
> Go to the "Attached files" section of this page and place the manifest
> files on the MSYS "bin" directory.

Brian

Re: install permission error

Cesar Strauss-2
Brian Dessent wrote:
> Please read the link I already gave you, specifically this part:
>
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1711379&group_id=2435&atid=102435
>>
>> Go to the "Attached files" section of this page and place the manifest
>> files on the MSYS "bin" directory.

It seems you should also type, afterwards:

  touch /bin/install /bin/install-info

for Windows to pick the new permissions.

Cesar

Re: install permission error

xbsd

Easier method 2 --

Use the "Run as Administrator" feature of Vista to launch Shell (Start -> Programs -> GNUStep) which will grant you access to /bin/install.

Bobby McNulty-6 wrote