libFLAC, getopt, Mingw, Msys

DAVENPORT, MARC

Hello all,

I'm trying to build libFLAC 1.3.1 with msys and configure but when I run make it chokes because I don't have getopt installed. Is getopt provided in any Mingw or msys packages? I can't seem to find anything useful on the web or where to download this shell extension for msys. Please advise. Thanks.

Re: libFLAC, getopt, Mingw, Msys

Re: libFLAC, getopt, Mingw, Msys

DAVENPORT, MARC
Hello Keith, thanks for the reply.

I may be misinterpreting the error message. Here is what it says :

mingw32-make[2]: Entering directory 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src'
Making all in share
mingw32-make[3]: Entering directory 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src/share'
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, /bin/mkdir -p getopt, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
Makefile:490: recipe for target 'getopt/.dirstamp' failed
mingw32-make[3]: *** [getopt/.dirstamp] Error 2
mingw32-make[3]: Leaving directory 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src/share'
Makefile:415: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
mingw32-make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
mingw32-make[2]: Leaving directory 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src'
Makefile:471: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
mingw32-make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1'
mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2

There is no shell utility getopt installed in either mingw/bin or msys's /bin directory.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

On 10/08/16 23:41, DAVENPORT, MARC wrote:
> Hello Keith, thanks for the reply.

You're welcome, but please DON'T top post.

> I may be misinterpreting the error message.

I think so.

> Here is what it says :
>
> mingw32-make[2]: Entering directory
> 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src'

If you're building using MSYS, why are you running mingw32-make?  You
are MUCH better off using the make.exe provided by MSYS.

> Making all in share mingw32-make[3]: Entering directory
> 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src/share' process_begin:
> CreateProcess(NULL, /bin/mkdir -p getopt, ...) failed. make (e=2):

Right, because mingw32-make knows NOTHING about the MSYS file system
structure, and there is no such thing as /bin/mkdir in the pure
Windows environment, which it does know about.

> Makefile:490: recipe for target 'getopt/.dirstamp' failed
> mingw32-make[3]: *** [getopt/.dirstamp] Error 2 mingw32-make[3]:
> Leaving directory 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src/share'
> Makefile:415: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
> mingw32-make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 mingw32-make[2]:
> Leaving directory 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src' Makefile:471:
> recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed mingw32-make[1]: ***
> [all-recursive] Error 1 mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory
> 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1' Makefile:402: recipe for target 'all'
> failed mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> There is no shell utility getopt installed in either mingw/bin or
> msys's /bin directory.

No, nor do we provide one, because in the *nix world it is mostly
superseded by the shell's built-in getopts utility.  In any case, you
don't need any such utility here; you do need to run the MSYS make,
which will know to invoke the /bin/mkdir in the MSYS /bin directory,
so that this build recipe can create the getopt build DIRECTORY.

Re: libFLAC, getopt, Mingw, Msys

DAVENPORT, MARC
> You're welcome, but please DON'T top post.

Sorry about that, gmail encourages top posting.

> If you're building using MSYS, why are you running mingw32-make?  You
> are MUCH better off using the make.exe provided by MSYS.

That was my problem. I use mingw32-make simply because that is what I am used to. I wasn't aware I shouldn't use mingw32-make when building with MSYS.

> Right, because mingw32-make knows NOTHING about the MSYS file system structure,
> and there is no such thing as /bin/mkdir in the pure Windows environment,
> which it does know about.

Makes sense I guess, but I kind of expected mingw and all of its tools to keep working in the MSYS environment.

> Makefile:490: recipe for target 'getopt/.dirstamp' failed
> mingw32-make[3]: *** [getopt/.dirstamp] Error 2 mingw32-make[3]:
> Leaving directory 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src/share'
> Makefile:415: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
> mingw32-make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 mingw32-make[2]:
> Leaving directory 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1/src' Makefile:471:
> recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed mingw32-make[1]: ***
> [all-recursive] Error 1 mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory
> 'c:/LIBS4814Build/flac-1.3.1' Makefile:402: recipe for target 'all'
> failed mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> There is no shell utility getopt installed in either mingw/bin or
> msys's /bin directory.

No, nor do we provide one, because in the *nix world it is mostly
superseded by the shell's built-in getopts utility.  In any case, you
don't need any such utility here; you do need to run the MSYS make,
which will know to invoke the /bin/mkdir in the MSYS /bin directory,
so that this build recipe can create the getopt build DIRECTORY.

That solved it. Thanks for the help. libFLAC builds just fine now, thank you.

Re: libFLAC, getopt, Mingw, Msys

Top Posting (was Re: libFLAC, getopt, Mingw, Msys)

Re: Gmail encourages top posting [WAS:: libFLAC, getopt, Mingw, Msys]

On 8/11/2016 11:06 AM, DAVENPORT, MARC wrote:
>> You're welcome, but please DON'T top post.
>
> Sorry about that, gmail encourages top posting.

Gmail does no such thing.  Most email clients will put the cursor at the
top of the mail.  Some give an option for the top or the bottom.  The
user of the email client is the one who decides how the mail is to be
structured.  The cursor can be moved from the top or the bottom to
correctly quote the statements you're responding to.  The user can also
remove any nonessential words remaining in the post.

Re: Gmail encourages top posting [WAS:: libFLAC, getopt, Mingw, Msys]

DAVENPORT, MARC
>>> You're welcome, but please DON'T top post.
>>
>> Sorry about that, gmail encourages top posting.
>>

> Gmail does no such thing.

All due respect, but yes it does. See the screenshot below.

https://postimg.org/image/l0sdrtr4r/

There is a tiny button at the bottom of the reply box that is almost invisible with three dots. In the screenshot it is highlighted because I was hovering over it with my mouse cursor to show it. If you never click on it and delete what is there, then gmail silently adds the quoted text from the last reply to the bottom of your post. So in all due respect, gmail does encourage top posting. I never even knew what top posting was until Keith told me I was doing it. I'm not lazy. Ignorant maybe, but not lazy. You'll notice I trimmed out the quote in my post as requested.

As for the gmail app on my Android phone, it does the same thing. At least it gives you the option to remove the quote entirely or inline it. If you inline it you still have to backspace through pages of junk including the signature the mailing list adds because there is no effective way to multi-select on my phone.

Re: Gmail encourages top posting [WAS:: libFLAC, getopt, Mingw, Msys]

Brian Rayne
> Gmail does no such thing.

As a Gmail user, I can also confirm "top posting" is the default behavior of this web email service.  I think it's a common behavior for email in general, and changing the post behavior to avoid it is more like trying to get it to function like a web forum instead.

On 12/08/16 19:33, DAVENPORT, MARC wrote:
> I never even knew what top posting was until Keith told me I was
> doing it.  I'm not lazy.  Ignorant maybe, but not lazy.

Well, you're no longer ignorant, (at least w.r.t. top posting); I
guess you will probably also eschew top posting laziness, at least
on this list, from now on.

> You'll notice I trimmed out the quote in my post as requested.

Yes, while leaving just enough to preserve context.  Model behaviour
indeed; would that everyone might emulate it.

> As for the gmail app on my Android phone, it does the same thing.

I doubt you're running MinGW on your Android phone, so why on earth
would you want to use its gmail app to post to a MinGW mailing list?
Surely it makes more sense to use an e-mail client on the computer
on which you are running MinGW; an e-mail client which delivers sane
behaviour OOTB, and doesn't tie you into the insane strictures of any
ghastly web-mail app.  (And no, I don't think there is any such thing
as a web-mail app which is truly fit for purpose; I did use one for a
while, but I always used gvim to edit my replies).

> At least it gives you the option to remove the quote entirely or
> inline it.

Inlining is ALWAYS the sane option.  And with respect, if your MUA
doesn't readily support that, then it is effectively DISCOURAGING any
form of meaningful e-mail dialogue.

> If you inline it you still have to backspace through pages of junk
> including the signature the mailing list adds because there is no
> effective way to multi-select on my phone.

And this is precisely why it is so unfit for purpose.  I am using
Thunderbird on this computer.  It isn't perfect, but it does offer me
the option to highlight just part of an incoming message, and reply
to only that, or to reply to the whole, and subsequently select,
and easily delete, entire swathes of it, before sending.