libgmp-10.dll was not found

Ivan Baidakou
Hello,

I'm trying to build lgeneral [1] for Windows using mingw.
Unfortunately, there are no instructions how to do that in the project
itself. When I invoke ./configure script, it emits the warning [2]
(missing libgmp-10.dll).

I launch configure script form msys. I already configured msys.bat to
include mingw-binaries into path, via:

set PATH=c:\mingw\bin;%PATH%

in the 1st lines of msys.bat. So, the directory with  libgmp-10.dll is
present in PATH [3]. What else I can do to get rid of the error?

[1] http://lgames.sourceforge.net/index.php?project=LGeneral
[2] http://www.deviantsart.com/1070tmu.png
[3] http://www.deviantsart.com/6iag68.png

Thanks for any help.

WBR, basiliscos

Re: libgmp-10.dll was not found

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 17:34:38 +0300
> From: Ivan Baidakou <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm trying to build lgeneral [1] for Windows using mingw.
> Unfortunately, there are no instructions how to do that in the project
> itself. When I invoke ./configure script, it emits the warning [2]
> (missing libgmp-10.dll).

According to the screenshot, the problem is with cc1.exe, so it sounds
like your compiler installation is broken.  Can you compile a C
program, or do you get the same error dialog?

On my system, I have 2 copies of libgmp-10.dll, the second one in the
same directory where I have cc1.exe.  Do you have it there?  If not, I
suggest to copy it there, and see if that helps.

> I launch configure script form msys. I already configured msys.bat to
> include mingw-binaries into path, via:
>
> set PATH=c:\mingw\bin;%PATH%
>
> in the 1st lines of msys.bat.

I don't recommend doing this: it puts the MinGW binaries ahead of the
MSYS binaries on PATH.  It should be the other way around, because if
you have a MinGW port and an MSYS port of the same executable, you
want MSYS to find the MSYS port first.

(I don't think this issue is relevant to your problem, though.)

Re: libgmp-10.dll was not found

Keith Marshall-3
On 02/09/15 16:00, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I launch configure script form msys. I already configured msys.bat to
>> include mingw-binaries into path, via:
>>
>> set PATH=c:\mingw\bin;%PATH%
>>
>> in the 1st lines of msys.bat.
>
> I don't recommend doing this: ...

No, it's not the correct way to set things up; however ...

> it puts the MinGW binaries ahead of the
> MSYS binaries on PATH.  It should be the other way around, ...

Really?  In a standard configuration, "/mingw/bin" comes before "/bin",
so this ...

> because if you have a MinGW port and an MSYS port of the same
> executable, you want MSYS to find the MSYS port first.

... is inconsistent with standard practice.  If yo have a MinGW port of
an executable, it had better not be in the MinGW bin directory, (or if
it is, it had better be named differently), if you want MSYS to favour
its own version; (this is precisely why mingw32-make.exe, in the MinGW
bin directory, is not called make.exe).

Re: libgmp-10.dll was not found

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 16:31:29 +0100
>
> > it puts the MinGW binaries ahead of the
> > MSYS binaries on PATH.  It should be the other way around, ...
>
> Really?  In a standard configuration, "/mingw/bin" comes before "/bin",
> so this ...
>
> > because if you have a MinGW port and an MSYS port of the same
> > executable, you want MSYS to find the MSYS port first.
>
> ... is inconsistent with standard practice.

My PATH in the MSYS shell starts with this:

  .:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:

followed by Path I set for Windows.  I don't remember how did
/usr/local/bin ended up there, perhaps I tweaked my environment by
hand after the installation.  So maybe you are right, and this is
inconsistent with the standard practice.

But I still maintain that it's the best, and I personally still
recommend it ;-)

> If yo have a MinGW port of an executable, it had better not be in
> the MinGW bin directory, (or if it is, it had better be named
> differently), if you want MSYS to favour its own version; (this is
> precisely why mingw32-make.exe, in the MinGW bin directory, is not
> called make.exe).

Granted, my MinGW Make is called make.exe, identical to MSYS Make, and
the problem you describe does not exist for me, precisely because my
PATH has the order I recommended.  It works well for me for a couple
of years, so I dare to claim that it's a good arrangement.  Its logic
is simple: if MSYS has a program, use it; otherwise fall back on a
MinGW program.  Can you tell when/where this might fail?

(To avoid confusion, I should say that I recommend the above only for
the MSYS shell.  Elsewhere, MSYS's bin directories don't appear at all
on the Windows' Path, only MinGW programs do.)

On 02/09/15 15:34, Ivan Baidakou wrote:
> I launch configure script form msys. I already configured msys.bat to
> include mingw-binaries into path, via:
>
> set PATH=c:\mingw\bin;%PATH%

This should not be necessary; although it should also be harmless, you
may wish to undo that change.

When you run MSYS, the MinGW directories should be accessed via the
/mingw "mount point", which is automatically added to the PATH, (in the
guise of /mingw/bin), when msys.bat starts the shell with the "--login"
option, (which causes it to source /etc/login, whence the PATH is
updated appropriately).  After starting the shell, run:

  mount

and look for a reference to c:/mingw being mounted on /mingw, to confirm
if the mount has appropriately set up; chances are that it hasn't, if
you never configured it after installation.  If this is the case, run:

  mount  c:/mingw  /mingw

to configure the mount.  (You need only do this once; the configuration
is persistent).

Re: libgmp-10.dll was not found

Ivan Baidakou
Hello Eli,

Thanks! That works. I have copied similar way a few libraries into
c:\mingw\libexec\gcc\mingw32\4.8.1 and solved similar issues.

Now it complains that "libintl-8.dll" cannot be found. I wasn't able
to found that dll, although I have found some different version, and
mingw-installer shows, that mingw32-libintl (dll) 0.18.3.2-1 is
installed.

Any ideas how to solve that?

WBR, Ivan Baidakou

On 9/2/15, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 17:34:38 +0300
>> From: Ivan Baidakou <[hidden email]>
>>
>> I'm trying to build lgeneral [1] for Windows using mingw.
>> Unfortunately, there are no instructions how to do that in the project
>> itself. When I invoke ./configure script, it emits the warning [2]
>> (missing libgmp-10.dll).
>
> According to the screenshot, the problem is with cc1.exe, so it sounds
> like your compiler installation is broken.  Can you compile a C
> program, or do you get the same error dialog?
>
> On my system, I have 2 copies of libgmp-10.dll, the second one in the
> same directory where I have cc1.exe.  Do you have it there?  If not, I
> suggest to copy it there, and see if that helps.
>
>> I launch configure script form msys. I already configured msys.bat to
>> include mingw-binaries into path, via:
>>
>> set PATH=c:\mingw\bin;%PATH%
>>
>> in the 1st lines of msys.bat.
>
> I don't recommend doing this: it puts the MinGW binaries ahead of the
> MSYS binaries on PATH.  It should be the other way around, because if
> you have a MinGW port and an MSYS port of the same executable, you
> want MSYS to find the MSYS port first.
>
> (I don't think this issue is relevant to your problem, though.)

> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: libgmp-10.dll was not found

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 20:42:34 +0300
> From: Ivan Baidakou <[hidden email]>
>
> Thanks! That works. I have copied similar way a few libraries into
> c:\mingw\libexec\gcc\mingw32\4.8.1 and solved similar issues.
>
> Now it complains that "libintl-8.dll" cannot be found.

Which .exe program needs that?  cc1.exe shouldn't.

> Any ideas how to solve that?

It depends on the package/program that requires that DLL.

Re: libgmp-10.dll was not found

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 23:19:01 +0300
> From: Ivan Baidakou <[hidden email]>
>
> >> Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 20:42:34 +0300
> >> From: Ivan Baidakou <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> Thanks! That works. I have copied similar way a few libraries into
> >> c:\mingw\libexec\gcc\mingw32\4.8.1 and solved similar issues.
> >>
> >> Now it complains that "libintl-8.dll" cannot be found.
> >
> > Which .exe program needs that?  cc1.exe shouldn't.
>
> as.exe (from popup window title). The popup appears during ./configure script.

You need to install gettext's "dll" archive from the MinGW site.  If
the latest one doesn't have libintl-8.dll, look in older ones.
libintl-8.dll needs libiconv DLL, so make sure you have it, or
download it from the MinGW site.

On 03/09/15 03:38, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> Which .exe program needs that?  cc1.exe shouldn't.
>>
>> as.exe (from popup window title). The popup appears during
>> ./configure script.
>
> You need to install gettext's "dll" archive from the MinGW site.

That would be libintl-0.18.3.2-1-mingw32-dll-8.tar.xz, but if the OP
used mingw-get for his original installation, it would have been
installed already, (as a binutils dependency) ... unless a network
outage prevented its download, (in which case, there would have been an
error message to that effect).

> If the latest one doesn't have libintl-8.dll, look in older ones.

The latest one *does* have it.  Furthermore, installing with mingw-get,
and with a correctly configured MSYS installation, I am utterly unable
to reproduce the OP's problem ... all dependencies of GCC are fully
installed, and "Just Work OOTB"(TM) for me.

> libintl-8.dll needs libiconv DLL, so make sure you have it, or
> download it from the MinGW site.

Once again, mingw-get's dependency resolution would ensure that this is
appropriately installed.

Re: libgmp-10.dll was not found

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 12:08:52 +0100
>
> > You need to install gettext's "dll" archive from the MinGW site.
>
> That would be libintl-0.18.3.2-1-mingw32-dll-8.tar.xz, but if the OP
> used mingw-get for his original installation, it would have been
> installed already, (as a binutils dependency)

Indeed.  But I think it's quite clear by now that the OP's
installation is not 100% healthy, to say the least...

Re: libgmp-10.dll was not found

Ivan Baidakou
> and look for a reference to c:/mingw being mounted on /mingw, to confirm
> if the mount has appropriately set up; chances are that it hasn't, if
> you never configured it after installation.  If this is the case, run:
>
>   mount  c:/mingw  /mingw
>
> to configure the mount.  (You need only do this once; the configuration
> is persistent).

OK, I have done that and removed mingw from %PATH%. The
re-installation of  libintl-0.18.3.2-1-mingw32-dll-8.tar.xz helped,
i.e. it complains on *libintl-8.dll* absence no longer.

But a new error appeared - msgformat.exe cannot locate
libgettextsrc-0-8-3.dll. I have re-installed mingw32-gettext (dll) and
msys-gettext(bin), but the error still presents.

Any ideas?

Thanks for helping!

WBR, Ivan Baidakou

On 03/09/15 16:20, Ivan Baidakou wrote:
> But a new error appeared - msgformat.exe cannot locate
> libgettextsrc-0-8-3.dll. I have re-installed mingw32-gettext (dll) and
> msys-gettext(bin), but the error still presents.

Well, here we see a mismatch between the installed gettext packages: the
DLL comes from the mingw32 package, (which  is version 0.18.3.2),
whereas you have installed the MSYS bin package, (which is 0.18.1.1).

> Any ideas?

Yes.  Heed the warning, in the first paragraph of the mingw-get
description for msys-gettext-bin:

  "This is not the gettext you are looking for."

Later in this same description, it asserts that this build of gettext is
intended for use by those building, and developing, MSYS itself; it
really isn't the package you are looking for, to use in conjunction with
MinGW.  You should uninstall that msys-gettext-bin package, and install
mingw32-gettext-bin instead.  (You may also need the -dev package, and
consider the -ext package, together with the various documentation
packages; see the mingw32-gettext package description, shown by
mingw-get, for additional package selection guidance).