Quantcast

libiconv-2.dll is missing

Mike Crawford
$ gcc --version

A message box appears:

    gcc.exe - System Error

The program can't start because libiconv-2.dll is missing from your
computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

---

Google finds lots of posts about other programs that include MinGW, such
as Codeblocks.  I can't find any posts that quite describe my problem.

I'm unable to find a libiconv-2.dll anywhere.  There is a github page
that offers a replacement for download, but Windows 8.1 64-bit doesn't
want to load it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mike Crawford
Portland Software Development and Consulting
http://soggywizards.com/
[hidden email]

One Must Not Trifle With Wizards For It Makes Us Soggy And Hard To Light.

Re: libiconv-2.dll is missing

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Mike Crawford <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 17:43:27 -0700
>
> $ gcc --version
>
> A message box appears:
>
>     gcc.exe - System Error
>
> The program can't start because libiconv-2.dll is missing from your
> computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
>
> ---
>
> Google finds lots of posts about other programs that include MinGW, such
> as Codeblocks.  I can't find any posts that quite describe my problem.
>
> I'm unable to find a libiconv-2.dll anywhere.  There is a github page
> that offers a replacement for download, but Windows 8.1 64-bit doesn't
> want to load it.

Where did you download GCC, and how (with what commands) did you
download ans install it?  Was that from the MinGW site?

The MinGW site provides libiconv-2.dll in this directory:

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/libiconv/

If you download and install using mingw-get, the tool should install
that dependency automatically.

Re: libiconv-2.dll is missing

Mike Crawford
On 9/23/2016 12:20 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Mike Crawford <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 17:43:27 -0700
>>
>> $ gcc --version
>>
>> A message box appears:
>>
>>      gcc.exe - System Error
>>
>> The program can't start because libiconv-2.dll is missing from your
>> computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

> Where did you download GCC, and how (with what commands) did you
> download ans install it?  Was that from the MinGW site?

I'm pretty sure I was trying to use the GCC that was included with
MinGW.  I installed it with the GUI version of mingw-get.

> The MinGW site provides libiconv-2.dll in this directory:
>
>    https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/libiconv/

This fixed it, thank you.

> If you download and install using mingw-get, the tool should install
> that dependency automatically.

I don't think the dependency was installed.  May I respectfully suggest
that someone install the current MinGW on a Windows system that has
never had MinGW before?  Using a VM would make this more convenient.

Regards,

Mike Crawford
Portland Software Development and Consulting
http://soggywizards.com/
[hidden email]

One Should Not Trifle With Wizards For It Makes Us Soggy And Hard To Light.

Re: libiconv-2.dll is missing

On 25/09/16 00:10, Mike Crawford wrote:
> I installed it with the GUI version of mingw-get.

Did you check for error messages, in the dialogue pane?

>> The MinGW site provides libiconv-2.dll in this directory:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/libiconv/
>

> This fixed it, thank you.
>
>> If you download and install using mingw-get, the tool should
>> install that dependency automatically.

It does ... unless some network glitch causes the package download
to fail, (in which case, there would have been an error reported).
If this does happen, (as it does, occasionally), then:

  $ mingw-get install --reinstall mingw32-libiconv-dll

(in this case) should be sufficient to rectify the problem, (and
similarly, with substitution of the appropriate package name, for
any other package which is not downloaded successfully).

> I don't think the dependency was installed.  May I respectfully
> suggest that someone install the current MinGW on a Windows system
> that has never had MinGW before?  Using a VM would make this more
> convenient.

I do that, routinely, when publishing catalogue updates.  Nonetheless,
I just repeated the exercise; libiconv-2.dll is *definitely* installed
as a dependency of the mingw-base package collection, following an
error-free install into an initially empty c:/mingw/sandbox:

  $ rm -rf c:/mingw/sandbox/*

  $ mingw-get-setup.exe &

which initially installs mingw-get itself, selecting c:/mingw/sandbox
as installation directory, then runs the just-installed mingw-get.exe,
from which I selected and applied changes for the mingw-base package
collection only, then:

  $ mount --repl c:/mingw/sandbox /mingw

  $ ls -l /mingw/bin/libiconv*.dll
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 ... 1408750 Sep  1  2013 /mingw/bin/libiconv-2.dll

  $ gcc --version
  gcc.exe (GCC) 5.3.0
  There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS
  FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.